End-To-End Tandemonium

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
RachelH

End-To-End Tandemonium

Post by RachelH »

I've been lurking on here sporadically for quite a while, and just wanted to say thanks to all the previous posters who I've pinched tips and route ideas from - particularly Mick F! I'd intended to register sooner than I have, and post my route to see if anyone had more helpful advice... but the pace of training and planning everything picked up and has rather swept me off my feet. Better late than never!

My route is decidedly unusual in places, but less so than my mode of travel! I'm riding LEJOG on a tandem, with a different person on the back each day. I'm supporting Samaritans, and so the idea behind the tandem is that some challenges are too hard to tackle alone, and its ok to ask for help! As a short fat woman most at home on a sofa there's no way I'd manage to make myself attempt LEJOG on my own, but I've got ~25 people signed up to ride with me, so I might just make it. I'm also calling in at 26 Samaritans branches which are (roughly) on the route, hence some of the more unusual wiggles.

My route and schedule are here: https://endtoendtandemonium.wordpress.com/lejog-route-planning/%20, The route pinches bits from Royston Wood's safer way, and the Cicerone route, when they happened to be heading the right way, but then freestyles elsewhere based on various cycle routing sites and google maps. The green dots are Samaritans branches I'm visiting, which are unfortunately often in the centre of towns and cities. I've had a couple of recommendations from my local riders here and there, so may diverge a bit when we ride it. But if anyone has any last-minute recommendations for the rest, I'd be most grateful.

If anyone from Scotland happens to be reading, I'm still looking for people to ride on the tandem with me from Newcastleton to Selkirk, and then various days from Pitlochry northwards. Otherwise, if I'm passing through your area and you feel like riding alongside us on your own bike, you'd be most welcome!
Cyril Haearn

Re: End-To-End Tandemonium

Post by Cyril Haearn »

+1, as we say here :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
RachelH

Post by RachelH »

I think I'm going to keep a tally of how many times between LE and JOG I hear the same joke about him/her on the back not peddling.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

RachelH wrote:I think I'm going to keep a tally of how many times between LE and JOG I hear the same joke about him/her on the back not peddling.

Not to mention can you ride tandem and daisy......
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
RachelH

Post by RachelH »

Oh yes indeed. Mind you, I'd ridden it solo through town four or five times (after dropping my stoker home at the end of a ride) before I got the inevitable "she's fallen off the back"
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

You’ve not stated what size person the back of the tandem can accommodate?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
RachelH

Post by RachelH »

I bought the tandem with the need for flexibility in mind - I've tried it with stokers ranging from 5'1" through to 6'2" so far! The 6'2" chap was just about ok, but not ideal - he did clip his knees on the stoker bars once or twice when we went over bumps, complete with a lot of swearing! The saddle does go lower, and the youngest stoker I have lined up to ride with me is only 12.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

A bit of local knowledge. Your day finishing at Lancaster.
You are using the cycle path that starts at Condor Green and is, at the moment, quite rough with some muddy patches & wet sections. Personally I would give it a miss, unless you have large tyres, and stick to the A588 into Lancaster. (By all means call in at Cafe de Lune for an afternoon break.)
Next day, after leaving Lancaster, you go along the cycle path to join the canal path at the Aqueduct. To get to the canal aqueduct there is a carry up a fair few steps to get up to the canal. The canal then runs basically parallel with the A6. Again I personally wouldn't use the canal towpath especially on a tandem. It is narrow with not much headroom under the bridges.
Stick with the A6 or alternatively take Kellet Lane to "Nether Kellet". Then Back Lane to Carnforth to pick up your route through Warton to Beetham.
Or after "Nether Kellet" to "Over Kellet" to "Tewit Field" to "Burton in Kendal" (A6070). Then Holme to Ackenthwaite (B6384) and pick up your route into Kendal.
Hope this is of use.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
RachelH

Post by RachelH »

Thank you - that's very useful to know! I may not have time to add it to the online map before I leave, but I'll make up a new gpx before I ride it.