Veteran's Badge

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Veteran's Badge

Post by Mick F »

I applied for one and it arrived the other day. Dunno if I'll ever wear it, but I might.
719FokJQnPL._SY355_.jpg
719FokJQnPL._SY355_.jpg (27.17 KiB) Viewed 1328 times
Note that it says "Armed Forces".

I'm not so sure about this. I was in the Royal Navy and when I was serving, we were called the Royal Navy and part of HM Forces.

The term "Armed Forces" is a relatively new one IMO. Even the term "The Military" seems to be creeping in now! :shock:
Americanisms?

I never considered myself being "armed" as I never was. The ships I served in were armed, and I was in charge of the main armaments, but not armed personally. I was armed with a screwdriver, and a clipboard and pen, but never an armed and loaded weapon.

Small point, but it isn't "right". I would have preferred a Royal Navy Veteran's Badge or even a HM Forces Veteran's Badge.

............... or am I splitting hairs and being over-sensitive?
Mick F. Cornwall
mercalia

Re: Veteran's Badge

Post by mercalia »

well since you ride a bike you must have arms ( and legs ) so makes sense :wink:
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Mick F wrote:
The term "Armed Forces" is a relatively new one IMO. Even the term "The Military" seems to be creeping in now! :shock:
Americanisms?

Isn't "veteran" an americanism?
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I have one that I use for formal occasions

My usual lapel badge is either a White ensign, or a Medical Branch one

landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I'm happy to wear mine, on the Crombie i wear for Remembrance Day, with my 3 medals.
I was in the Armed Forces.
RAF.
But in NI and the Falklands i was armed.
Don't know if i ever killed anyone but, dear god, i tried ...
Just wanted to get home to my family ... as they did.
Wear my Veterans Badge and Medals with pride but without anger.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It seems odd that you can either go through the hoops to prove your entitlement and eventually receive a free one from HM Government or for £5.99 anybody can get one from Amazon. :?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HM-Armed-Force ... rans+badge

Scroll down a bit and there's a Red Army badge for anybody a bit bolshie.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

That annoys me somewhat....

We were discussing this in the Pub (as one does) and things like medals, Veterans badges etc are something that you earn

For every Tom, Dick and Harry (Except the Prince, who is entitled) to be able to wear one, devalues that

In an extreme case, it is a big thing... Stolen Valour
gaz

Post by gaz »

I'd assumed we'd be talking about this one:
TriVets.png
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Grandad wasn't a long service veteran, just two years in the trenches until he was blinded by gas but he had a service badge like this.

'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

That one, Pete, is brilliant!
I wouldn't be complaining if ours were like that ..... but updated of course.

As for getting badges and insignia - and even medals - commercially, 'twas ever thus. However, my medals have my name and rank on them. Any replacements, even from MOD, wouldn't be engraved. It would be good if my new Veteran's Badge had my service number engraved on the back. Cheap. Low cost. Two words that come to mind.

I too wear my medals, and I'll be wearing a poppy, during the November Ceremonies.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/falklands-medal
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... l&_sacat=0
Mick F. Cornwall
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi Mick, Shame WW2 medals weren't engraved, other than awards Etc, regular service & campaign medals carry no named recipient!
All WW1 medals, Pip, Squeak and Wilfred all carry the name rank and regimental number. MOD (War Dept) got cheapskate after that.
So any Tom, Dick or Harry can don WW2 gongs, not good when worn on the wrong side! TTFN MM
Tizme

Post by Tizme »

Thanks for "reminding" me MIck F! I knew you could get one, but had forgotten all about it, form sent off yesterday. I served 28 years, 6 medals.

Like Landsurfer I was armed, as a commando (and para) trained sailor.

Never fired a shot in anger, but had a few scary moments; on a "sightseeing" trip in North Iraq (Op Haven) with 3 marines in a Landrover we drove around a corner to be confronted by about 20 chaps all brandishing AK47's. I thought my number was up, turned out they were Peshmerga (Kurdish freedom fighters) and just wanted to say hello. We were somewhat subdued after that and decided perhaps we ought to go back to camp :oops:

Another time I had to layout a marker panel for a CH47 in Bosnia, for visual reference while it hovered above, the trouble was, they only thought the area was clear of mines :( Needless to say I was not too happy and treaded very carefully :roll:

Despite that I'd sign up again tomorrow, if they took 60 year olds with 2 hip replacements! Mind you, the way recruitment is going, they just might :lol:
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I remember joining the Army Hospital in Woolwich and being briefed by the RSM about various duties. He was about hand me a pistol when he asked if I was in date for my APWT

His face when I told him that the last time I had fired a weapon had been in basic training some 12 years before was a picture

I was out on the ranges the following day....
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mick F wrote:I applied for one and it arrived the other day.....

Sounds like a straight forward procedure. I seemed to end up being responsible for getting a family member their medals (newly issued ones from UK gov) and it was a complete nightmare - had to get MP involved in the end. Contrast to getting the service medals (for the same duty) from the Russian Government which was very straight forward (one letter, on the list and then a bit later an invite for individual and guests to award ceremony).

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I had a sedate-ish life in the RN. Sept '69 to April '96
Joined up aged 16 going on 17 at HMS Raleigh in Torpoint Cornwall ......... big change from Wigan!
Six weeks basic training, then a couple of years technical training in HMS Collingwood in Fareham Hamshire, a year at sea in HMS Achilles out the Far East and Oz, then back to Collingrad, for another couple of years, then HMS Gurkha based in Rosyth Fife looking after the weapons system radars.
The Cod War against the Icelandic gunboats in '74 and later out in West Indies '75 before being shore-based in Rosyth '76 to '79.

Back in Collingrad for technical training ready to join HMS Ambuscade 1980 as the chap in charge of the weapon system as a whole - guns, missiles and guidance systems plus the main weapons computer.
Middle East and Persian Gulf, and home after six months away, then Down South for the Falklands Conflict 1982.

Left Ambuscade in late '82, then HMS Neptune at Faslane working in the communications centre on cryptographic equipments ......... I was Positively Vetted for that post.

Joined HMS Sirius in 1985 down in Devonport, as middle management in charge of people doing the jobs I used to do. I enjoyed that tremendously and stayed in Sirius for over four years. Saw Far East (again), Oz (again) and the Med ....................and lots and lots of North Atlantic tracking USSR submarines from North Cape out to East USA and back again. Very interesting work using passive sonar techniques in horrendous seas on a rolling ship for six or eight week patrols. Sea legs? I have lots of them! :D

Followed by HMS's Iron Duke, Marlborough and Argyll.
Boring.

Only two medals.
Long service and Good Conduct - and if I hadn't handed my notice in when I did, I'd have been awarded the Bar for it within six months.
South Atlantic Medal with the rosette of course.
Mick F. Cornwall