Shimano STEPS battery, always shows 5 LEDs

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
natmat

Shimano STEPS battery, always shows 5 LEDs

Post by natmat »

My STEPS battery always shows 5 LEDs - whether fully charged or pancake flat.

The bar control/display shows the correct 1..5 blocks reflecting battery-charge state and remaining miles does reduce accordingly. So I know the system's working. I presume my battery should show fewer LEDs to reflect state of charge... but it doesn't, should it?

Has anyone had this issue too or is this normal?

I wonder if a Shimano approved centre would be able to diagnose/fix the issue.

Can anyone confirm that the battery LEDs decreases from 5..4..3..2..1..none as it runs down.
hemo

Re: Shimano STEPS battery, always shows 5 LEDs

Post by hemo »

Using the battery led's as a guide is like guessing the voltage and they tend not be accurage, as long as the bar display shows battery level I wouldn't worry to much. I always use a digital meter to check the condition of my batteries.
natmat

Post by natmat »

These are smart batteries, the handlebar display only knows how many power-bars to show based on what the state-information is reported to it by the battery. Handlebar shows 2 bars, the battery should also display 2 LEDs - at least that's my assumption, that I'm seeking to have confirmed.

Has anyone else seen their battery's LEDs always showing 5 green LEDs, or is it 'unique' to my bike?
Lodge

Post by Lodge »

This is completely normal. When using the bike/trike all 5 LEDs stay lit. They only indicate charge status when recharging. It’s in the manual somewhere as I remember.
natmat

Post by natmat »

Lodge wrote:This is completely normal. When using the bike/trike all 5 LEDs stay lit. They only indicate charge status when recharging. It’s in the manual somewhere as I remember.

Excellent, thanks for confirming that.
Why didn't I think of looking there first?
One less thing to worry about.