How does a rack like this fit a bike?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
asinus

Re: How does a rack like this fit a bike?

Post by asinus »

The British Standard (BS EN ISO 11243:2016) limits beam racks that aren't attached to the frame as well to 10 kg (it's 27 kg for rear racks that are attached to the frame, but only 10 again for racks above the front wheel). Interestingly, it doesn't go into the relation of the load to the position of the rear axle.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Vorpal wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Does sjs still use 'lbs'? :wink:

:lol: :lol: I looked it up on Thule's website & couldn't be bothered to find the SI rating or convert it.

I must be old, I can do it in my head
22 lbs = 10 kg
:wink:

Or 22 lbs = 9.98 kg :lol:

I didn't say I couldn't do it. Just that I couldn't be bothered. And now that I haven't bothered, I've spent at least 4 times as much time on it as if I'd just written it in kg int he first place.... :lol: :lol:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Beam racks are to be avoided if you can. The connection is not that rigid, and they carry the load too high and too far back. The result is a pretty unstable ride with anything other than very light loads. For light loads I would much prefer a Carradice saddle bag, preferably supported by a Nitto R10 rack/support.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Vorpal wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:
Vorpal wrote: :lol: :lol: I looked it up on Thule's website & couldn't be bothered to find the SI rating or convert it.

I must be old, I can do it in my head
22 lbs = 10 kg
:wink:

Or 22 lbs = 9.98 kg :lol:

I didn't say I couldn't do it. Just that I couldn't be bothered. And now that I haven't bothered, I've spent at least 4 times as much time on it as if I'd just written it in kg int he first place.... :lol: :lol:

It would be simplest if you and I always used both, why do our brains have two halves?
I cycled 8 km/5 miles today :wink:
Remember to use "miles", not "m"!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
asinus

Post by asinus »

To be fair, how high they are depends on frame size: on a small MTB frame the may have to be mounted up the seatpost to clear the rear wheel. There are some with a crank in the beam to make it lower than the mount, and Axiom make an invertible beam to vary the height. Some are also length-adjustable.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Cyril Haearn wrote:It would be simplest if you and I always used both, why do our brains have two halves?
I cycled 8 km/5 miles today :wink:
Remember to use "miles", not "m"!

Except 1 mile in Norwegian (mil) is 10 km. :P
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

When I do the shopping, the weight of my bags, tool bag, D lock and the shopping the total weight is usually around twenty pounds so its very easy to hit the limit of the rack being talked about.
Patrick
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Patrickpioneer wrote:When I do the shopping, the weight of my bags, tool bag, D lock and the shopping the total weight is usually around twenty pounds so its very easy to hit the limit of the rack being talked about.
Patrick

If I am doing a weekly shop, I use a trailer. I'm sure that going over the rack capacity isn't a big deal; the specifications are typically determined by the lowest legal limit in a region, rather than the design limitations. But I can carry more with the trailer.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

Tubus make a nice qr axle mount with brackets to fit a normal pannier rack. Not cheap, of course, but would function better than any beam rack unless you are on a full suss! This could be used in conjunction with an integrated pannier mount seatpost clamp.
asinus

Post by asinus »

The Tubus is a goood solution for some, but I wonder whether a solution that would fit more bikes, including those with rear suspension, would be a seatpost-clamped rack held in position by a brace clamped onto the top tube: it should
Not rotate
be able to carry more (e.g. up to 25 kg)
be easy to put on or remove (useful for Eurostar/aeroplane users) and could be combined with some sort of variable height (to deal with the stability problems) and rails that could support panniers or fold out to help support bulky loads - for the shopping etc.
I know nobody makes such a thing, but how does it sound?