Cycle Travel Question

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
bobzeller

Re: New Route Planner

Post by bobzeller »

Does anyone who uses cycle.travel have any experience of going off course, then returning the course and having their GPS (in my case a Garmin Edge Tour Plus) resuming tracking and providing turn-by-turn instructions? I normally plot a course with RideWithGPS but can't seem to get it to provide turn-by-turn instructions having gone off course and then returned to my course. Garmin said it could only be done if I loaded the nRWithGPS route into Base Camp and then into the Garmin. It didn't for me. RideWithGPS said they thought there shouldn't be a problem, but there is. Now I wonder if cycle.tour would make a difference. And if it is possible, do I load the route differently? Advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks
Peter Molog

Post by Peter Molog »

Sometimes Richard Fairhurst can be very funny.

Peter

Please, excuse my English. I'm Dutch.
BeardyWeirdy

Post by BeardyWeirdy »

Hi Richard

Just to let you know that there is a bit of a weirdness on the maps at the moment

If you plan a trip from Lymington Hampshire to anywhere on the Isle of White it tries to take you via Keyhaven, via a ferry that only runs once or twice a day in mid summer rather than main, the every hour, ferry across from Lymington to Yarmouth.

Otherwise a useful site as ever!

Richard
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Ah yes - someone in OSM appears to have tagged the access roads to the ferry in Lymington as "driveways", and cycle.travel doesn't route along driveways (because generally you don't want to cycle up the private access to someone's house!). I've just fixed it on OSM and it'll be updated in the next c.t routing update - thanks for spotting.

Peter - fixed your funny bug too. :)
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

A suggestion: would it be possible to have accommodation, if selected on the map, appear on the pdf too?
EverRed

Post by EverRed »

I'm new to GPS's and so I may be asking a naive question. About a month ago I successfully transferred a route from cycle.travel to my Garmin Touring Plus. Now I have tried to transfer another route but I have not been able to do so. I have also noticed that the route I transferred last month is no longer visible on the device (it is visible if I view the device through my computer). The new route is also visible when I view the device via my computer but is not visible on the device.

Can anyone suggest anything I could try?
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Are the files in the correct format? Garmins do not accept .Gpx files. Also, have you transferred the file(s) in the correct folder of the Garmin when connected to the PC?
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
EverRed

Post by EverRed »

I think I've figured it out. I'm using a Mac with Safari browser and in the process of downloading the file the file name was changed to unknown and the file type is textedit. I changed the file extension to .tcx and copied it to the Garmin and it now appears on the Garmin.

I the repeated the download using Firefox instead of Safari. The downloaded file kept its original name and extension. I copied it to the Garmin and it shows up correctly.

Bottom line. Use Firefox instead of Safari but if you have to use Safari, rename the file and change the extension to .tcx before copying to your device.

Gatterno - thank you for your response.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Gattonero wrote:Are the files in the correct format? Garmins do not accept .Gpx files.

Depends on which garmin gatto. The etrex series uses gpx files.
Happy that the above problem is solved. Similar problems can be caused by the garmin getting its indexing in a twist. But easily solved.
Sweep
yutkoxpo

Post by yutkoxpo »

Richard,
As a European mainland user I'd like to commend & congratulate you on all your work. You really have created a fabulous resource!
Many thanks.

Now, to my question.

Is there any way to to load a pre-exisitng long distance route - I'm thinking here of the EV routes or LF routes in NL/Belgium.

These routes are marked on the map, but when I plan a route from A to B along one of these routes the Route Planner doesn't necessarily follow the "official" route.

I know I can search the routes created by other users, but sometimes these will have individual quirks.

And I can search elsewhere for the gpx files for these routes and load them into the Planner. but again, sometimes the "conversion" results in a slightly different route.

It's not a big deal, but if the facility is there & I'm missing something I'd like to know :)

Many thanks
PH

Post by PH »

EverRed wrote:I'm new to GPS's and so I may be asking a naive question. About a month ago I successfully transferred a route from cycle.travel to my Garmin Touring Plus. Now I have tried to transfer another route but I have not been able to do so. I have also noticed that the route I transferred last month is no longer visible on the device (it is visible if I view the device through my computer). The new route is also visible when I view the device via my computer but is not visible on the device.

Can anyone suggest anything I could try?

A bit late - have you sorted it?
I have the Touring Plus, load either GPS Track or TCX, works fine with either. Though I do find saving them to disk and copying from there seems to work better, it also gives the opportunity to rename I might want something simpler on the Garmin than saved on the website. Occasionally I'll load something and it won't show up, I suspect it may be carelessness on my part disconnecting the Garmin from the PC, it's simple enough to check.
Richard Fairhurst

HobbesOnTour wrote:It's not a big deal, but if the facility is there & I'm missing something I'd like to know :)

It's not there, but it is something I've been working on! Probably the way it'll work is that cycle.travel will have a 'library' of routes, so you could choose (say) NCN 4 and it'll present it to you on the map just like any other route, with via points in the right places to follow the route. Does that sound like what you're looking for?

(It's a surprisingly difficult programming challenge but I think I've found a way that works...)

PH wrote:I have the Touring Plus, load either GPS Track or TCX, works fine with either. Though I do find saving them to disk and copying from there seems to work better, it also gives the opportunity to rename I might want something simpler on the Garmin than saved on the website.

That's what I do too - I usually save as TCX and then copy across to my Edge Touring Plus.
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

just seen this and mapped out a route I did myself for tomorrow and pretty damn good I have to say !

Well done Richard, now bookmarked
Richard Fairhurst

Thank you!

Two additions this week while I remember...: the PDFs are now smarter about putting map panels side-by-side, so they use fewer pages. And a new guide to London-Brighton: https://cycle.travel/route/london_to_brighton .
yutkoxpo

Post by yutkoxpo »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:It's not there, but it is something I've been working on! Probably the way it'll work is that cycle.travel will have a 'library' of routes, so you could choose (say) NCN 4 and it'll present it to you on the map just like any other route, with via points in the right places to follow the route. Does that sound like what you're looking for?

(It's a surprisingly difficult programming challenge but I think I've found a way that works...)

That would be exactly what I'm looking for! And when I say looking for, I mean it would be a nice feature to have, that's all.

I appreciate any effort. And again, compliments on a great service!