Would I dare a Bent

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
go4it

Would I dare a Bent

Post by go4it »

Just pondering the great Idea of my first Recumbent, trike or other.To say I know nothing would be an understatement! First off I just about know what traditional bikes to avoid buying, but don't have a clue when it comes to Recumbents.
So I would appreciate some name dropping !!
Also transporting, particularly trikes with a Motorhome or standard car.
Any input would be gratefully received
NUKe

Re: Would I dare a Bent

Post by NUKe »

DTek at Ely is the name you need. Kevin does a try before you buy, a half day session . He also deals in second hand machines.
NUKe

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Where are you?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Post on this thread and you may decide that you dare not not ride a bent. :wink:

viewtopic.php?p=1229490#p1229490
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

thirdcrank wrote:Post on this thread and you may decide that you dare not not ride a bent. :wink:

viewtopic.php?p=1229490#p1229490

I wouldn't risk it if I were him..... :mrgreen:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

I dunno, would you?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

PDQ Mobile wrote:I dunno, would you?

I could be persuaded :wink:
Last edited by reohn2 on 9 May 2018, 10:43am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

Why ??
Speed, comfort, ease of use, less pain, easy hillclimbing, something different ??
All the above are good reasons but each will tend to steer you towards a type of bent.

Trikes are slowest but easiest to use. Good if you're slightly disabled but take up the most storage space.

The only thing you can say about bikes is they all have a learning curve and the more reclined/lower you are, the more difficult they are to balance. There is such a variation between bikes that even two that look almost identical can/will handle completely different.

Try before you buy.

Luck ........... :D
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Little Thetford calls you (if you can travel there if course). Try before you buy. Kevin does a try it session (like you can do with the tandem shop in Gargrave for tandems but they're new machines). I hear he sometimes have American recumbents because of all the American air bases around his neck of the woods.

Failing that I'd suggest you post what type of riding you would want to use it for. Fast day rides, long tours, any balance issues or disability / injury, etc? How game are I you for taking a chance? How much cash do you have to spend?

Then there's the fact you'll be an out group within an outgroup. By that I mean upright cyclists look down on recumbents as being impractical, but safe, too low, too invisible, etc. The same arguments motorists use for cyclists. If you doubt it take a look at the thread linked to above. This was my take on the thread.

One last point, if you try it and like it great but if not no problem. Just that I'd try to try a few if you can. They're surprisingly easy to learn to ride. Well my recumbent was but the streetmachine is known to be a good ride and easy to get the hang of.
go4it

Post by go4it »

Big thanks for helpful suggestions, as for humour....
Bob in answer I live in Liverpool
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

I completed the isle of Wight Randonnee on Sunday on a long wheelbase two-wheeled recumbent (LWB), plus a bit getting to and from the ferry port making 85 hilly miles. There were around 3000 cyclists doing it. I got loads of positive comments, only a couple were a bit "off". Recumbent trikes are the vast majority of 'bent sales currently but recumbent bikes have advantages such as mixing better with uprights, and LWBs are among the most user friendly. Take a look at a Bacchetta Bella. https://www.bacchettabikes.com/bike/bella/
firedfromthecircus

Post by firedfromthecircus »

I just want to offer a slightly different take on the 'Try before you buy' mantra.

Riding a recumbent, either trike or bike, is a very different experience to riding an upright bike. So a quick test ride will not necessarily tell you how you will gel with a machine in the longer term. That added to the reduced availability, especially second hand, may keep you from the bike that would be best for you. I would suggest reading up about the different types of recumbent, LWB, CLWB, SWB, USS, ASS, Touring, Fast, High, Low, Delta trikes, Tadpole Trikes, Semi etc and decide which you think will fit into your life the best. Then try and buy one second hand. If you decide after trying it for a while that you don't like it then you should be able to sell it on for much the same money (assuming you bought well!).

I bought a tadpole trike because one came up locally at a good price. While I enjoyed riding it I decided I fancied a USS LWB. So despite having never ridden one I travelled a couple of hundred miles to pick one up just on a hunch. Turns out I love it and have since sold on the trike. If I had restricted myself to trying before buying then I would probably still be without!
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I think the idea would be a D. TEK try it session. Research into the various types doesn't mean you'll get any idea of what they're like to ride. I've read a fair bit but I've only ridden a streetmachine. I'm happy with that bit I doubt it's the best bent for me.

I reckon even two bents of a similar type feel different when actually ridden. That's why I reckon buying your first recumbent is not something guaranteed. At least listening to Kevin's advice you'll probably end up with something that you will cope with and enjoy. Later on you can sell and move to the recumbent that suits you better after you've some experience with your first one.

BTW in my case streetmachine is known to be an easy recumbent to try as your first one. I'm no speed machine and tbh this is my family bike ride pootle bike that'll become my loaded tourer in the summer. On paper it suits, in reality I'm not sure. I think I fancy something a bit faster that could also be used as a tourer. Or just faster as my second recumbent. I'm hooked!

Anyway, good luck with your hunt. Good secondhand recumbents suitable for starters aren't easy to find. On the various forums and sales sites. Especially if you've got a budget. If there's no budget restraints there's always but new but a lot of depreciation I reckon if it doesn't suit.
go4it

Post by go4it »

Ok, I am 'not lost, just misplaced' abbreviations:LWB, CLWB, SWB, USS, ASS, help ok I get LWB (legs will bend) but after that ?????
Some brilliant helpful advice for which I am thankful
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Roughly:
LWB = long wheel base (front wheel ahead of pedals)
CLWB = compact long wheel base (pedals above and to rear of front wheel axle)
SWB = short wheel base (pedals above and in front of wheel)
USS = under seat steering
ASS = above seat steering (can be hamster or superman or.... :roll: )

Names: ICE & HPVelotechnik have both been going for a long while, also Hase, Catrike, Nazca, Azub, Bachetta etc.. Definitely do the secondhand route, but with something from a reputable builder (eg as above!). IME folding trikes are easier than bikes to get into a car, but YMMV ;)

Bentrider Online is best allround resource, IMO, but does contain Americans :lol:
"42"