Moving to the UK (London) - advice please

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Vorpal

Re: Moving to the UK (London) - advice please

Post by Vorpal »

I'd like to add, that it may be worth joining a cycling club, a Cycling UK group, or one of the many social cycling groups around London.

It's a good way to makes friends and learn the best routes.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
JakobW

Post by JakobW »

Nth-ing comments above: where in London are you going to be active? If central, you might consider just using the TfL hire bikes - stations are never more than five minutes walk away. If doing lots of short journeys the bike will be quicker than public transport; the only bike I would even consider taking on public transport in London would be a Brompton, and even there I'd prefer to ride it. A Brompton would also have the advantage of being able to take it with you into clients' premises; I would only ever leave a beater bike locked up on the street in London.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I suspect the OP is coming to London to work in IT because it is one of the best places in the world to do it and has little to do with the woeful cycling facilities. Although having said that, I have cycled in many cities across the world and there are plenty that are far worse than London. No idea what Cape Town or Jo'burg are like, maybe he'll be pleasantly surprised by 'the Smoke'. To tell him not to come seems to be going far beyond the remit of the question.

Also no one knows what business distances he will need to cover (including himself?). Cycling is undoubtedly quicker over short distances, but not necessarily over longer ones. Also, turning up to fix an irate customer's computer, dripping wet and a few hours late may not be what is wanted.

Back to the point - I'm surprised no one has mentioned Brompton hire. I have no experience of it, but according to the website you can hire for £3:50 a day. Maybe not a permanent solution, but would certainly get you started. https://www.bromptonbikehire.com/how-it-works

I agree with those that say maybe a folder for work/city and a tourer type for day rides.

If you are based in London, you can take trains North, South, East and West from most mainline stations to give you excellent weekend or day riding.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

brendonhatcher wrote:.....
I will be making lots of short trips (roving IT support for home users, freelance work in client offices), mostly around one area at a time.
This means that a bike I can easily get on a tube or bus is essential?
I don't yet have a sense of my mix between bike and public transport.
Am I right that a really collapsible bike (i.e. that can go in a bag is best)?
I'd hate to be that guy struggling to drag a bike onto a busy train etc.

Is there also an aspect of having to have somewhere convenient/safe to leave the bike whilst undertaking the work? I've no experience of such use but I wonder if a folder might mean you can take the bike into those offices/houses you are visiting (where it will be safe) rather than having to find somewhere secure to lock it to outside (and wondering what you'll come back and find).

(Presented as a thought and NOT based on any experience of city cycling/use)

Ian
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Berlin might be a good alternative, maybe for later
Lots of English is spoken there and the politrickians want to help cyclists, on paper at least there will soon be a good situation for cycling
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Not especial use to the OP but I once saw a foldie very close to the top of Tan Hill. The other guy was riding a standard touring bike though both were carrying very little luggage. My instant thought as l went past them was - 'from somewhere down south on a weekend tour.' The guy on the foldie was doing fine.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

as part of your decision where to live you might like to look at this crime calculator on a BBC website

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-44045128
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Mercalia, please tell us more about London, if it is so awful, why do you stay there? :?
Do fatbergs roam the streets?

I wonder whether anyone here has not been to The Metropolis
I was last there in 2004, just to change trains :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
toontra

Post by toontra »

Cycling in London is fine, certainly compared with other capital cities. I commute daily and actually enjoy it :D

Things have changed over the last 30 years - more cycle provision (though still not enough), but mainly the sheer number of cyclists, often outnumbering motorists at peak hours.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

mercalia wrote:as part of your decision where to live you might like to look at this crime calculator on a BBC website

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-44045128

Because of course South Africa is a haven of peace, tranquility and law and order. From Wikipedia (I know but it's quick....)

Around 49 people are murdered in South Africa every day...... There have been numerous press reports on the manipulation of crime statistics that have highlighted the existence of incentives not to record violent crime. Nonetheless, murder statistics are considered accurate. In the 2016/17 year, the rate of murders increased to 52 a day, with 19,016 murders recorded between April 2016 to March 2017.... In 2001, a South African was more likely to be murdered than die in a car crash....