Cycling caps for big heads

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
JamesE

Cycling caps for big heads

Post by JamesE »

After reading a tip elseweb I just bought a size XL cap from this eBay seller and I can strongly recommend them for those, like me, with a head far too big for the "one size" caps that most places sell. It's not just a decent circumference - a comfy fit for me, at 60cm - but also there's plenty of material so it avoids that unflattering "schoolboy's cap stretched far too tight" look. I imagine I'll be buying more in future and I've dropped them a line to ask if they can do custom colours.
drossall

Re: Cycling caps for big heads

Post by drossall »

No good for me then, I'm 66cm...
JamesE

Post by JamesE »

drossall wrote:No good for me then, I'm 66cm...

Crikey. Maybe there's someone out there who can make them bespoke for you...
drossall

Post by drossall »

That's what I did when I ordered some CTC caps. They were very good about it - really helpful.
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

I had this problem too, no such cap exists so I make do with a baseball cap.

They go up to 8 1/2 (68cm).

https://www.hatland.com/big-size-fitted ... ize-8-1-2/
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Where might one buy a cap with the peak at the back?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Where might one buy a cap with the peak at the back?

Everest base camp.
Nu-Fogey
drossall

Post by drossall »

thelawnet wrote:I had this problem too, no such cap exists so I make do with a baseball cap.

For those of us for whom size really matters, just to note that US sizes are smaller than UK ones. For example the size guide at the bottom of this site's pages.
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

drossall wrote:
thelawnet wrote:I had this problem too, no such cap exists so I make do with a baseball cap.

For those of us for whom size really matters, just to note that US sizes are smaller than UK ones. For example the size guide at the bottom of this site's pages.

That guide isn't particularly helpful.

Sizing:

EU/JP size = hat circumference in cm
US size = hat diameter in inches
UK size = hat diameter in inches minus 1/8

Thus a 64cm circumference = 64cm / 2.54 / pi = 8.02" diameter

Hence EU size 64, US size 8, UK size 7 7/8.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

While I'm a mere pinhead compared with some who have posted on here, having often had difficulty getting a cap large enough to fit I understand the problem and size guides are little help if individual manufacturers don't comply with the standard they advertise. Labelling like L/XL only disguises sloppy manufacture IME. My usual experience of a casual try on of caps in shops is "pea on a drum."

One feature of hat/cap design I find particularly frustrating is cover for the ears. I don't think mine are set abnormally low, but many winter hats don't cover them. Re N American sizing, a couple of years ago I took a fancy to a cold weather Tilley hat in Harris Tweed with fold down earflaps. A wide range of Tilley hats at Cotswold Outdoors so off I went for a try on. The largest size just about fitted, but the earflaps came nowhere near.

When this thread started, I wondered about the covers jockeys wear over their riding helmets but when drossal reported satisfaction from the CTC (Cycling UK?) supplier I didn't pursue it.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

I like Walz caps though being a pinhead I go for their wee ones. However, I do note this on their website FAQ:

Q: Do you offer children's sizes, or XXL?

A: We love kids, and we love exceptionally brilliant people as well! And yes, we do offer a a custom child-sized fit, as well as an XXL. Just drop a line to info@walzcaps.com for inquire.

That XXL is a ~ 63.5 cm, but might be they'd do an XXXXL if you ask nicely, and they are nice caps. I rate mine as better than others I have from Rapha, Vulpine and Campagnolo.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
JamesE

Post by JamesE »

Ah, I think that might be a new line from Walz. I bought one of their L/XL caps last year and I don't think they were offering XXL then. The L/XL is well made but just a bit too small.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

thirdcrank wrote:.......
When this thread started, I wondered about the covers jockeys wear over their riding helmets but when drossal reported satisfaction from the CTC (Cycling UK?) supplier I didn't pursue it.

The covers you have on riding helmets (called 'hat silks') tend to be elasticated, the elastic goes below the helmet rim, which is very thick, and that stretches the 'silk' so it looks neat. They're one size, because riding helmets are very thick walled in order to give protection from not just falls, but for protection if the horse falls on your head, or from kicks from the horse if it goes down with you, so the internal size doesn't affect the external size much. The covers tend to be pretty large. The silks themselves are usually very thin, with stiff peaks.
samples here:
http://www.discount-equestrian.co.uk/ri ... overs.html
some places do bespoke colours. eg
http://www.treehouseonline.co.uk/product/85
pom-poms are popular. :mrgreen:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

pjclinch wrote:I like Walz caps though being a pinhead I go for their wee ones. However, I do note this on their website FAQ:

Q: Do you offer children's sizes, or XXL?

A: We love kids, and we love exceptionally brilliant people as well! And yes, we do offer a a custom child-sized fit, as well as an XXL. Just drop a line to info@walzcaps.com for inquire.

That XXL is a ~ 63.5 cm, but might be they'd do an XXXXL if you ask nicely, and they are nice caps. I rate mine as better than others I have from Rapha, Vulpine and Campagnolo.

Pete.

- Do you offer children's sizes?
- We love **kids**..

Reads like a politrickians answer :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Does anyone know where to buy those caps that have their peak at the back?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info