Prince Wlliam praises the NHS that he probably just rarely uses?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Psamathe

Re: Prince Wlliam praises the NHS that he probably never uses?

Post by Psamathe »

Cunobelin wrote:
Psamathe wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:The facts are simple..

Person works with NHS
Person praises his colleagues
That appears to some to be unacceptable
The only "discussion" of this reality is name calling

For a discussion, there needs to be some explanation as to why it is unacceptable to praise colleagues

What job was he doing for the NHS? Air Ambulance (and most of us will have read about the "time-off" he had there placing additional workload on others!).

And how did he get there? By walking out early on his RAF training contract - something that anybody else doing that would have had to repay £400,000 (but "not in the "National Interest" for "our Will and Kate").

Ian

So he did work with the NHS, and is praising his colleagues.

Progress........ now all you have to do is explain how the Search and Rescue at RAF Valley functioned without any contact with the NHS

Working for search and rescue does not give somebody much insight or experience of the day to day service provided to those in need.

But walking out 4 years early on a contract where anybody else would have to repay £400,000 and being "let-off" the repayment because you are a "royal" is wrong (and defining it as being "in the national interest" is just treating the public with contempt). Search & Rescue pilot training is very very expensive and the taxpayer pays that on the basis that people walking out early on their contracts repay pro-rata (8 years contracts). Training for Royals is pad for by the taxpayer and the contracts are the same - 8 years to justify the training cost.

Ian
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Psamathe wrote:But walking out 4 years early on a contract where anybody else would have to repay £400,000 and being "let-off" the repayment because you are a "royal" is wrong (and defining it as being "in the national interest" is just treating the public with contempt). Search & Rescue pilot training is very very expensive and the taxpayer pays that on the basis that people walking out early on their contracts repay pro-rata (8 years contracts). Training for Royals is pad for by the taxpayer and the contracts are the same - 8 years to justify the training cost.

Where did these stats come from? He was trained as a SAR pilot by the RAF first and did the best part of three years in that role. He converted to a civilian pilot to work for the Air Ambulance which seems to have taken less than 8 months which does not sound like an eight year payback and in any instance he drew no salary whilst working for them for two years - his salary was paid direct back to the charity.

He's a Royal and for better or worse different rules apply - but if he didn't open Commonwealth Games or visit AIDS charity wards he'd get criticism for that too but frankly much of this sounds like criticism for the sake of it.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Ben@Forest wrote:
Psamathe wrote:But walking out 4 years early on a contract where anybody else would have to repay £400,000 and being "let-off" the repayment because you are a "royal" is wrong (and defining it as being "in the national interest" is just treating the public with contempt). Search & Rescue pilot training is very very expensive and the taxpayer pays that on the basis that people walking out early on their contracts repay pro-rata (8 years contracts). Training for Royals is pad for by the taxpayer and the contracts are the same - 8 years to justify the training cost.

Where did these stats come from? He was trained as a SAR pilot by the RAF first and did the best part of three years in that role......

Widely reported at the time and a quick online search 1st found
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/prince-william-owe-taxpayer-400000-1844015 wrote: Prince William will owe taxpayer £400,000 if he quits helicopter job early
RAF chiefs have decided to write off the bill in the interests of the nation
Prince William will owe the taxpayer £400,000 if he quits early as a helicopter pilot to take up Royal duties, the Sunday People has revealed .

But RAF chiefs have decided to write off the bill in the interests of the nation.

Search-and-rescue pilots like William have to agree to stay in service for six years if they are accepted for the £800,000 training course.

But the 30-year-old prince is set to leave when his current tour of duty at RAF Valley in Anglesey , North Wales, ends in September.

While sources have confirmed that a request for the outstanding £400,000 would be met, the RAF has decided not to make it.

(It was a 6 year contract he walked out on, not 8 as I said). Maybe not the source I'd normally use but not going to spend time on it now.

Ian
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Back to the basics

The claim the royals never use the NHS - only conjecture and untrue
The claim that Williams never worked with the NHS - only conjecture and untrue

So the whole basis of the pthread is lost
millimole

Post by millimole »

Almost certainly uses staff trained by the NHS; possibly uses scientific services sub contracted out to the NHS.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly using hovercraft full of eels.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Psamathe wrote:Prince William will owe the taxpayer £400,000 if he quits early as a helicopter pilot to take up Royal duties, the Sunday People has revealed .

But RAF chiefs have decided to write off the bill in the interests of the nation.

Search-and-rescue pilots like William have to agree to stay in service for six years if they are accepted for the £800,000 training course.

But the 30-year-old prince is set to leave when his current tour of duty at RAF Valley in Anglesey , North Wales, ends in September.

While sources have confirmed that a request for the outstanding £400,000 would be met, the RAF has decided not to make it.

Whether the above is true or not there was an article in one of the Sunday papers a few years ago about the investment in military officers who don't serve long enough to pay back what was invested in their training - especially female officers as they can resign because of pregnancy and essentially though there are minimum terms of service if an officer makes enough fuss they will be let go paying nothing back. So it's not just Royals who get away with it.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Ben@Forest wrote:
Psamathe wrote:Prince William will owe the taxpayer £400,000 if he quits early as a helicopter pilot to take up Royal duties, the Sunday People has revealed .

Whether the above is true or not there was an article in one of the Sunday papers a few years ago about the investment in military officers who don't serve long enough to pay back what was invested in their training - especially female officers as they can resign because of pregnancy and essentially though there are minimum terms of service if an officer makes enough fuss they will be let go paying nothing back. So it's not just Royals who get away with it.

It was widely reported at the time (I don't read the source I quoted so it would have been reported in the Guardian and/or he Independent).

SAR training is very sought after (a lot of people want o do it) and massively expensive. Hence the commitment and hence the significant pay-back on walking out on a contract (unless you are a "Royal").

Ian
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Psamathe wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
Psamathe wrote:Queeney always starts with "My Lords and Members of the House of Commons. My government’s ...." - so it's her government shafting the NHS NOT "our" government. Maybe he'd do better having a word with Gran rather than talking to those who already know (from experience). Should really be the public lecturing him on this rather than him lecturing the public!

Ian

We all know Gran's a figurehead without any real power over "her" government,so that's a mute point really.
We also known that "her" government is starving the NHS by their disgusting austerity measures and allowing the private sector more and more services contracted out to them.

PS, to be clear I'm no royalist,quite the opposite in fact,but let's put the blaim where it belongs for the NHS's problems.

All she has to do is next Queenies Speech say "My Lords and Members of the House of Commons. My government’s will properly fund the NHS" and things in the Queen's speech has a special status as far as being passed goes. She is claiming ownership on her government so she has an obligation to direct is appropriately (i.e. in the interests of those who are paying for it!).

IAn

The Queen has a better grasp of English grammar than that though, she is not a greengrocer.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

[XAP]Bob wrote: ... The Queen has a better grasp of English grammar than that though, she is not a greengrocer.

She also has an understanding of the role of the Crown in our constitutionless constitutional monarchy. That's a quality which seems not to be shared by all the Royal Family.

I'm not particularly a monarchist but I'm not attracted by the alternatives for selecting a head of state. That opinion may change if our next monarch feels they - almost certainly he, of course - have a right, nay duty, to play an active political role. Long live the Queen, I say, to delay the day when we find out.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Cunobelin wrote:Back to the basics

The claim the royals never use the NHS - only conjecture and untrue
The claim that Williams never worked with the NHS - only conjecture and untrue

So the whole basis of the pthread is lost

since your view isnt conjecture please supply the evidence in particular what proporton was private and what NHS. I ll modify the title to " only rarely used the NHS if at all"
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Psamathe wrote:
Ben@Forest wrote:

It was widely reported at the time (I don't read the source I quoted so it would have been reported in the Guardian and/or he Independent).

SAR training is very sought after (a lot of people want o do it) and massively expensive. Hence the commitment and hence the significant pay-back on walking out on a contract (unless you are a "Royal").

Ian

.... or female, or injured, or medically discharged, or a number of cases
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Cunobelin wrote:
Psamathe wrote:
Ben@Forest wrote:

Ian

I don't think he was female or injured or medically discharged. He just decided he fancied doing something else so walked-out on his contract and @£$%^&* the money the taxpayer had forked out training him.

Ian
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Psamathe wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:
Psamathe wrote:It was widely reported at the time (I don't read the source I quoted so it would have been reported in the Guardian and/or he Independent).

Ian

I don't think he was female or injured or medically discharged. He just decided he fancied doing something else so walked-out on his contract and @£$%^&* the money the taxpayer had forked out training him.

Ian

Person 1 has one leg, does something
Person 2 has 2 legs, but one arm and does the same thing

IT is called equivalence, it doesn't grow the second person an arm, or the first person an arm, buy they achieve the same outcome

There are a number of people who leave these contracts early without penalty for a number of reasons
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Psamathe wrote:I don't think he was female or injured or medically discharged. He just decided he fancied doing something else so walked-out on his contract and @£$%^&* the money the taxpayer had forked out training him.

The 'fancying doing something else' was taking on more of the traditional Royal roles because the Queen is getting on a bit. And of course scorn can be heaped upon opening hospital wards, visiting Commonwealth countries and planting trees (well shovelling a sod of earth into a prepared hole) but even in a republic with a president they or their minions would do the same thing.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Ben@Forest wrote:
Psamathe wrote:I don't think he was female or injured or medically discharged. He just decided he fancied doing something else so walked-out on his contract and @£$%^&* the money the taxpayer had forked out training him.

The 'fancying doing something else' was taking on more of the traditional Royal roles because the Queen is getting on a bit. And of course scorn can be heaped upon opening hospital wards, visiting Commonwealth countries and planting trees (well shovelling a sod of earth into a prepared hole) but even in a republic with a president they or their minions would do the same thing.

maybe but you feel less intimidated by a president than a king/queen? and as the yanks have found out you can shoot presidents, and send them to prison ( I think at the moment a former president of France is being investigated? can you imagine charley boy being sent to prison? ) President is clearly a job, being a king aint ( they tried to bring god into it with the divine right of kings, in the past )