Cycling in the Champagne region

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
scoot

Cycling in the Champagne region

Post by scoot »

Hi,

the wife and I are looking at having a weeks holiday in the Champagne region, We'll take the bikes in the car and would like to find some nice rides along rivers, through forests, canal paths, wine tasting etc.

Preferably reasonably flat, up to about 30 miles, circular or there and back along same route, I am happy to drive to start points.

Are there any good books or websites or just general suggestions please?

Thanks in advance
Two wheels good, 4 wheels bad
foxyrider

Re: Cycling in the Champagne region

Post by foxyrider »

Have you tried the Riems or regional tourist boards - they generally with have such information. Nice area, rolling countryside and of course the Champagne 'Caves'!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
scoot

Post by scoot »

Hi Foxyrider,

I will check tonight

Thank you,

Paul
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

There is also a lot of World War One stuff in the region if you are interested. Guidebooks on the subject give info and some have routes. They also usually have links to tourist offices.

Here's a couple from the Reims section of one I have from the library (I'm riding the Western Front in a few weeks).
http://www.reims-tourisme.com
http://www.champagne-ardenne-tourism.co.uk
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Just looked at the second website above and there is a section on cycling https://www.champagne-ardenne-tourism.c ... ne-ardenne
scoot

Post by scoot »

Thanks,

Looking good,

Paul
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

After a similar search for routes for a short tour, i bought a very good book/ guide published by the tourist office

"balades et week-ends a velo
champagne ardenne"

Googling for the same turns up

https://www.tourisme-champagne-ardenne. ... ne-ardenne which I think is the same routes.

The isbn is 978-2-84466-176-0

We ended up doing a tour based on the Meuse valley cycleway north from charleville- mezieres, which was excellent, flat, tarmaced and would make a good day trip though maybe too far north for you. The cycle way was under construction south from charleville at the time and is probably finished by now.

Have fun.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

I did this about 12 years ago. Too long ago to recommend anything except to say go to both Reims (pronounced Rance with a good roll on the 'R') and Epernay. The 'Faux de Verzy' - mutant dwarf beech trees - are worth a look, and it was a good ride there and a great lunch somewhere but no clue where!
scoot

Post by scoot »

Hi Brian and Ben,

Thanks for the added info. I hope to get some time this evening to check out your recommendations.

I'm thinking of taking my Scott cx and the wife's boardman hybrid, would they be suitable?

My only other options are a Giant defy 3 racer, a '80 Raleigh race bike that I have just refurbed or my unicycle, but IU can't go far on that :) the wifes second option is an old Raleigh mtb which to be fair she prefers to the Boardman :) (comfort)

Cheers for the good advice,

Paul
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

scoot wrote:Hi Brian and Ben,

Thanks for the added info. I hope to get some time this evening to check out your recommendations.

I'm thinking of taking my Scott cx and the wife's boardman hybrid, would they be suitable?

I was riding a Dawes Galaxy with two panniers (unsupported but not camping) and I'd say both bikes are fine. It's an undulating landscape but not really hard, and I guess there are river or canal routes if you look.
Bogawski

Post by Bogawski »

I stayed at the PRIM'HOTEL BAGATELLE, 51530 DIZY, which is just north of Epernay on the circular "route de vin" which is a nice route. The hotel is Logis and has a good restaurant and would be an excellent base, nice area all round.
scoot

Post by scoot »

I stayed at the PRIM'HOTEL BAGATELLE, 51530 DIZY, which is just north of Epernay on the circular "route de vin" which is a nice route. The hotel is Logis and has a good restaurant and would be an excellent base, nice area all round

This may be handy, we are looking for accommodation at present Thanks :)

Paul
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

If you've got a spare day, then I can recommend the Verdun area for something a bit different.

This is one of the most important places in France, a place where over 160,000 French soldiers died in WW1. It is seared in the French psyche. Think Dunkirk or Battle of Britain

Good tourist info in town although cycling may be a bit hilly. Strategic use of the car could help - or walk instead of cycle.
scoot

Post by scoot »

Hi,

I contacted this from Brian Fox's reply:

Googling for the same turns up

https://www.tourisme-champagne-ardenne. ... ne-ardenne which I think is the same routes

had an email yesterday asking for my postal address. I'll let you know whar the guides are like :)

Cheers,

Paul
scoot

Post by scoot »

Hi ,
Nice looking guides, one is French and English Nh the second French and ......... Dutch, just what i needed.
Be looking at the pretty pictures then

Paul