Tubus rear racks: Cargo vs Logo

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Blackredgold1964

Tubus rear racks: Cargo vs Logo

Post by Blackredgold1964 »

Dear All,
Is it worth getting the Tubus Logo evo instead of the Cargo evo?
http://www.tubus.com/product.php?xn=26
and
http://www.tubus.com/product.php?xn=64
I need to buy one of those and would rather stick with Tubus than changing to a different rack completely as all my family’s bikes have one, the Cargo. Howeever, I wonder whether the lower rail of the Logo evo is worth having?
The bike is 26 “/559 wheels. On the Logo evo you can hang the panniers 6.5 cm lower, effectively 5.5 cm as the rack is 1 cm higher.
The additional rails are attached to the side of the main rack and as such stick out a bit. I assume that slightly compromises the lower hook of my Ortlieb panniers to hook behind the vertical stay.
I’d rather stay with the Cargo as it looks neater and makes it easier swapping bags between bikes. But maybe it’s worth getting the Logo for that big tour?
If you have any experience with this then please let me know.
Regards
Blackredgold1964
foxyrider

Re: Tubus rear racks: Cargo vs Logo

Post by foxyrider »

It's no contest.

The Logo wins every time - better stability, clear top when used with separate bags I what's not to like. There is no issue with Ortlieb bags although you will inevitably have to set up bags specifically for the Logo as the rack legs are positioned differently to the Cargo.

Been using my Logo since 2004 - wouldn't use a traditional Cargo style rack again if I could help it.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
pwa

Post by pwa »

Having the bags 5 or 6 cm lower is not going to improve stability much, if at all. So the main benefit of the Logo must be ease of attaching stuff to the top with the panniers in place. Do you find that to be an issue with the Cargo? I've not had problems with it, but you may have. Personally, if all your other racks are Cargo I'd stick with that. Saves faffing with your hooks.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

pwa wrote:Having the bags 5 or 6 cm lower is not going to improve stability much, if at all. So the main benefit of the Logo must be ease of attaching stuff to the top with the panniers in place. Do you find that to be an issue with the Cargo? I've not had problems with it, but you may have. Personally, if all your other racks are Cargo I'd stick with that. Saves faffing with your hooks.

That 5-6cm does make a huge difference to stability - I can feel the difference even without bags being fully loaded. (I have one bike with a high rail rack so can easily make the comparison.)
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Post deleted, wonky info.
Last edited by Sweep on 23 May 2018, 8:38am, edited 2 times in total.
Sweep
pwa

Post by pwa »

foxyrider wrote:
pwa wrote:Having the bags 5 or 6 cm lower is not going to improve stability much, if at all. So the main benefit of the Logo must be ease of attaching stuff to the top with the panniers in place. Do you find that to be an issue with the Cargo? I've not had problems with it, but you may have. Personally, if all your other racks are Cargo I'd stick with that. Saves faffing with your hooks.

That 5-6cm does make a huge difference to stability - I can feel the difference even without bags being fully loaded. (I have one bike with a high rail rack so can easily make the comparison.)

My bike feels surefooted with heavy bags on the cargo, so maybe it varies from bike to bike. But there have been occasions when I've been wheeling the bike over rough ground and the panniers have only just cleared adjacent rocks, heather and so forth, so I've been glad they've not been any lower. The question has to be, are there issues for the OP that are not addressed by the Cargo. If they answer "Yes" then they look at the Logo. If not, they stick with the simpler (lighter?) Cargo.

Edit. Just checked and the Logo has one of those silly, tapered narrow tops that make fitting a rack top bag difficult. I'd stick with the more generous top of the Cargo.
PH

Post by PH »

Also note the difference in the tops between the two racks, the cargo has a wider platform with the side parallel (114mm), the Logo's top is narrower and tapers to the front (99 - 85mm). There are pros and cons to both, you can fit more on the top of a Cargo and the Logo brings the panniers closer to the bike.
I prefer not just the lower rails but also the Logo platform, so much so that I'm about to replace a SS Cosmos (Will be for sale on here shortly if anyone's interested) with a Logo.
EDIT - Just noticed pwa makes the same point, but has the opposite preference, viva la difference rather than silly :wink:
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

I have owned and used cargo, logo and Cosmo models. For me Cosmo is the best having desirable features of the other two. It's not without its flaws though.

Logo is good for heel clearance as you can hang the panniers further back as well as lower. The platform is too narrow for my liking and big stuff rocks about on top more than the other 2 models for this reason. That was a deal breaker for me and I sold it. The loop end of the front of the platform is kind to your luggage.
Much easier than the cargo to take panniers on off while platform is occupied, and vice versa.

Cargo is lighter, wider more stable platform, more hassle to load unload combination of rack top luggage and panniers, less heel clearance than logo. Cheapest. Non Evo version has top rack tubing that sticks up at front of rack and can chew your luggage. Higher panniers.

Cosmo has wide top platform, with tubing that sticks up at front. Low pannier loading, but not the heel clearance of the logo as the lower rails don't extend back as far; a stupid omission in my opinion as they went halfway there. Stainless steel. Most expensive! Rose bikes or other German sites have the best prices, bit not what they used to be due to crap exchange rate these days. I got my Cosmo for 70£ delivered, cheapest price in UK at the time was £114!
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

By the way, I find Arno straps by far the best for securing luggage, far better than bungees in my experience. bombproof, very secure and easy to get really tight and they don't stretch or slip.
Another by the by, I have 2 lower hooks fitted to all of my ortlieb panniers. They can be arranged in an opposing configuration the requires rotation of the pannier to hook them around the strut but makes them very secure for riding off road.
Blackredgold1964

Dear All,
Thank you all very much for sharing your experiences. I think I lean towards the Logo, though I might swap racks around and for my daughters lighter bike might choose the lighter Vega - yet more confusion... Need to sleep over it.

What frustrates me a little about all Tubus racks is the generic height for 26 and 28 inch bikes. A rack for a 26" bike with wide tyres and mudguards could still be an inch or so lower. If someone knows a decent rack that's lower that the 360 mm Tubus racks, then please let me know too.

I agree with straps vs bungees, these are my favourites, http://www.halfords.com/motoring/roof-b ... ap-2-5m-x2
Arno straps are lighter and sufficient, though I think not available in the length that I would like (on tour I use them to strap stuff, or feed a very long strap through the loops of the Ortlieb panniers, replacing the shoulder strap. finally for flying I use them to strap the panniers together into one tight parcel)
Best wishes
PH

Post by PH »

Blackredgold1964 wrote:I agree with straps vs bungees, these are my favourites, http://www.halfords.com/motoring/roof-b ... ap-2-5m-x2

I'm not keen on any strap with metal fixings, as a recent thread on here demonstrated there's the potential to either rub holes in whatever is attached or scratch the rack. I'm sure with appropriate care such things can be avoided, but maybe packing up in the dark, in the rain with a ferry to catch I don't trust myself to take as much care as I might. These stretchy velcro straps are plenty strong and secure enough to attach anything I'm likely to put on a rack
https://www.mpdhookandloop.com/velcro-b ... gJDUfD_BwE
slowster

Post by slowster »

Blackredgold1964 wrote:What frustrates me a little about all Tubus racks is the generic height for 26 and 28 inch bikes. A rack for a 26" bike with wide tyres and mudguards could still be an inch or so lower. If someone knows a decent rack that's lower that the 360 mm Tubus racks, then please let me know too.

I have the 26" version of a Tubus rack which was made in both 26" and 28" sizes, and it's true there is well over an inch between the top of the 2.25" tyre on my bike and the underside of the rack. However, there is only approximately 17mm clearance between the tyre and the stay mounting points. If my bike had mudguards I would not want the rack to be any lower, because the gap between the tyre and stay mounting points would be even less and would further reduce the available mudguard clearance. Obviously another manufacturer might have a design where the stay mounting points were different/further away from the tyre, but it's something that would need to be checked rather than just focusing solely on how much clearance there is between the top of the tyre and the underside of the rack.

The rack on my bike is the 26" Locc, which is discontinued but details of which are still shown on the Tubus website:

http://www.tubus.com/product.php?xn=15

It is still available for the moment in silver from Ghyllside Cycles for £65, and from http://www.bike-components.de for €40.29 plus P&P:

https://www.ghyllside.co.uk/tubus-locc-pannier-rack-silver-26.html#

https://www.bike-components.de/en/tubus/LOCC-Gepaecktraeger-Auslaufmodell-p13882/

I bought it because I already had an Abus lock which was compatible with the rack, but you can easily remove the lock carrying brackets - I do find they make it slightly more fiddly attaching an Ortlieb pannier, more so with a lock in the bracket, but I also have a rackpack with side pockets which get in the way to further complicate attaching the pannier. Despite that I really like the rack and the convenience of the lock bracket, and would not hesitate to buy the same one again.
Blackredgold1964

Thanks again for the replies, slowster and PH.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

gregoryoftours wrote:I have owned and used cargo, logo
Cargo is lighter, wider more stable platform, more hassle to load unload combination of rack top luggage and panniers, less heel clearance than logo. Cheapest. Non Evo version has top rack tubing that sticks up at front of rack and can chew your luggage. H

!

Thanks for highlighting that. Only just noticed that differenc at the front. Have long been confused by the difference between tubus "evo" and "classic" versions of racks. Not always made clear by online retailers. Are there any other differences?

Edit, any clarification on the advantages of the "3D feet", which i believe are a feature of the evo would be welcome. If one type of feet is better why does tubus still sell both versions?
Sweep
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Currently bike components de are selling the Tubus expedition rack for 33.23 Euros. https://www.bike-components.de/de/tubus ... ng-p62349/ - seems something of a bargain.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker