Advice on bib shorts for touring needed

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
bicycleman

Advice on bib shorts for touring needed

Post by bicycleman »

I’m planning to tour this summer and will be using a Bike Friday
So, fairly upright posture

I’d love to hear any recommendations for shorts with the thickest,widest pad/chamois.

Thanks

PS and if anyone’s discovered a wonder saddle, I’m all ears for that too !
reohn2

Re: Advice on bib shorts for touring needed

Post by reohn2 »

Lusso Coolmax bibshorts
Last edited by reohn2 on 18 May 2018, 12:16pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

bicycleman wrote:....
I’d love to hear any recommendations for shorts with the thickest,widest pad/chamois.

I don't wear bib shorts so cannot recommend but I do search out the thickest padding and I've gone for Endura who provide a wide range of pad thickness on their different shorts and their web site gives good information about the different padding thicknesses/uses https://www.endurasport.com/technology/pads/.

I've been very happy with their shorts (never tried their bib style ones though) and use their FS-260 PRO.

Ian
Ant...

Post by Ant... »

Decathalons top of the range shorts have a great pad. Saddles are a whole different kettle of fishes, no two bums are the same so you just have to keep trying until you find the right sort, for me its a Selle Italia Flite.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Padding is not just about wide and deep, it's also shape and how well the shape fits you. Saddles much the same.

As I tour on a 'bent in part to avoid all the faffing about with padding I can't help you much with shorts/bibs. For saddles you just need to try a load and see what works. It's a Brooks B17 for me, but I know people who find them purgatory. There is no magic button, sadly.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
PH

Post by PH »

My opinion on shorts is that they can add some comfort for long rides, but if they're considered necessary for a few hours riding then it's the saddle that's wrong and no padding will compensate enough for that. The issue when touring is the need to wash and dry, OK maybe if you're in B&Bs but a real pain when camping in milder climates. For this reason I'll either use faster drying undershorts, or the none padded underwear I use on most day rides.
I use bib shorts for Audax, or any ride where I'm likely to be all day in the saddle with little time off the bike - some but not most of my touring is also like this. The hit and miss rate hasn't been good, I've kept two pairs out of about five I've bought in the last few years, those are Howies which probably don't have the best pad but the most comfortable fit otherwise and some Adidas (Which are wearing out and no longer a current model!) I'm tempted to try some Endura, they seem to have a good range of styles and more importantly a 90 day trial period, which might save the expense of trial and error.
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

Not cheap, but I switched to Assos bib shorts a few years back, and have been well pleased
whoof

Post by whoof »

pjclinch wrote:Padding is not just about wide and deep, it's also shape and how well the shape fits you.

+1
I once tried some from Aldi and I can only think that Mr Aldi is not formed as other men. At first I thought I'd put them on backwards until I turned them around and found that they were worse. I've used both Lusso and Altura shorts whilst touring and find them comfortable.

WRT drying I take two pairs on a two week touring. At the end of the day wash them when, hang them out over night and then from the bike the next day if I'm camping. If it's raining I'll find a hotel and two nights having in the bathroom is enough to dry them.

I would suggest you try some on a few long weekend rides and see how you get on.
hamster

Post by hamster »

[quote="bicycleman"if anyone’s discovered a wonder saddle, I’m all ears for that too ![/quote]

Shape is a very personal thing, one man's luxury is another's instrument of torture. The ones I would recommend trying as they seem to suit more people than most:
1 Charge Spoon
2 San Marco Rolls
3 San Marco Regal
4 Brooks B17
5 Selle Italia Flite
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I can get a weeks worth of thin underwear into the same space as one pr of padded shorts. Because of this I ditched the padded shorts two yrs ago now. Ive kept a couple of prs of padded for 'just in case'.
That just in case occasion arrived a cpl of weeks ago after a 60ml ride with my saddle a touch high I had a cpl of sore points. So I donned padded for my next ride but to be honest I couldn’t detect any difference. So I didn’t bother for any more rides that week and after a week, as expected I was back to normal.
I began wearing padded for Audax years ago and it became a habit. As children I doubt we had never even heard of padded shorts and we were on our bikes all day and everyday.

So what are padded shorts supposed to do? Surely that initial feeling of sponge disappears as it compresses? That extra thick layer can’t help keep your bum cooler. The pad might draw moisture away from the skin but would you sweat if you weren’t earing them?

I’ve never discovered a wonder saddle but being very aware of and an understanding of how you sit on a saddle can help your choice. I used to prefer flatter style of saddles when I bent my back. Over a year of pilates and I now bend from the hips rendering my flat ones painful.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

I like Endura Pro Sl bib shorts (and longs). They are available with different pad widths.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/endura-pro-sl-ii-bib-shorts-wide-pad/

As for saddles, the Charge Spoon is less than £20 and I find it comfortable for about three hours' riding but I too would like to find a better one.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/charge-spoon-saddle-with-cromo-rails/
bicycleman

Post by bicycleman »

Big thank you to all who posted replies;
I’m working my way through the advice
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

I went back onto a rolls for a two week tour after years out of the saddle so an unseasoned bottom to say the least. I just wore 8 quid decathlon shorts and had no problem with 8 steady hours in the saddle on riding days.

I wore been bag bib shorts touring 20 years ago and still have them although the padding has deteriorated somewhat and was a more primative design. I can't say I found them that comfortable for long hours unless I wore them over a t shirt so usually ended up tying the braces like a belt in the front.

mind you I was 4 inches thinner then, I think I should move into the loft as everything I put up there seems to shrink.

any particular reason for bib shorts?
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

crazydave789 wrote:I went back onto a rolls for a two week tour after years out of the saddle so an unseasoned bottom to say the least. I just wore 8 quid decathlon shorts and had no problem with 8 steady hours in the saddle on riding days.

I wore been bag bib shorts touring 20 years ago and still have them although the padding has deteriorated somewhat and was a more primative design. I can't say I found them that comfortable for long hours unless I wore them over a t shirt so usually ended up tying the braces like a belt in the front.

mind you I was 4 inches thinner then, I think I should move into the loft as everything I put up there seems to shrink.

any particular reason for bib shorts?

The advantage with bibs is several fold, comfort, comfort and comfort.

Firstly, with no waist elastic or draw cord you don't get the sweaty and uncomfortable middle and they fit even the less aerodynamic of us more easily.

Next up, they ensure that the small of your back is covered preventing both sunburn and cold kidneys - both issues a problem with standard shorts.

Lastly but not least, the 'bib' on modern examples acts like a frontless vest, an extra layer if it's a bit cooler but also helping to regulate your temperature if it's warm. If it's cooler you can wear a base layer underneath but this can quickly become sweaty as it's held close to the skin and can't dissipate extra heat.

Bibs tights in winter are, for me essential and we're a game changer for my winter riding when they appeared. I now use only a pair of thermal bib longs with a pad with 2/3 layers on top as required - I used to have shorts, tights with braces, various layers and even a scarf on top and still wasn't as cosy.

As regards Bibs for touring, I have a pair of Polaris Adventure bibs, they use a heavier lycra for durability and a less racy cut. My only issue with them is the pad - TBH it's crap, very thin and gets uncomfortable quickly so on tour I use padded pants under neath. I also use more racy bibs on tour, often under a pair of baggies - much nicer for walking around museums etc as you aren't showing bits to all and sundry!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

Saddles wise my favourite so far is sdg bel-air. Totally each to their own though. My comfortable shorts are endura and decathlon pro. Everyone I know who's gone to assos has not looked back despite the expense.