Harry is marrying Ms Merkel?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Harry is marrying Ms Merkel?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

May I be the Emperor of Doggerland?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Cyril Haearn wrote:May I be the Emperor of Doggerland?

Is he into dogging? Something you think they'd both enjoy?

Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mercalia wrote:
reohn2 wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-44156440/homelessness-in-windsor-has-anything-changed
Particularly the last comment

keeping their possessions safe? = they will be cleaned out before the event?

It was the comment made by a woman about the amount of money being spent by the council for the shindig instead of being spent on mental health treatment,and affordable housing and hostels for the homeless of the town.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I see charlie boy is going to do the honours of making sure/walking Sparkles down the isle - thats surely the kiss of death.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I dunno - has "KC3-in-waiting" walked anyone else down the aisle? Surely not Diana, after all he was bridegroom (sort of), not father-of-the.

Indeed, does a bride need anyone to walk her down the aisle? Is it enshrined in some law somewhere (spiritual or temporal)? Why can't she just turn up at the altar unattended?

What I do know - at the last wedding I attended (that of my niece, last autumn), no-one 'walked' her down any aisle (strictly speaking, can a Register Office have an 'aisle'?). She marched up to the desk accompanied merely by her niece (aged 5). And a very dignified performance the little one gave, conquering her shyness. And this was nothing to do with the father of the bride (i.e. my b-in-l) being absent - he was very much present, and delivered the customary speech at the reception. It was a lot more to do with my niece's feminist principles - why should she be chattel to be 'given away' by anyone?

Good for her, I say. So why doesn't Ms Megh-h-han do the same...?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

661-Pete wrote:....
Indeed, does a bride need anyone to walk her down the aisle? Is it enshrined in some law somewhere (spiritual or temporal)? Why can't she just turn up at the altar unattended?

Good point. She's being lauded as an independent empowered woman yet she can't walk down an aisle without male assistance!

And everybody obsessing about the massively expensive "single use" dress and nobody wondering what the groom might be wearing

(have I just satisfied Godwin's Law?)

Ian
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

If we're onto Godwin .... worse has been done by [ex-] royals...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

....and now, it transpires, homeless people who have been offered some shelter near the venue, have been told to 'clear off' in no uncertain terms...
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... eepers-bus

Reminds me a bit of the Brazilians 'cleaning up' (i.e. bulldozing) the favelas before the World Cup.

Or maybe one could push the 'godwin' theme even further.... no, perhaps better not go there... :evil:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Psamathe wrote:

Ian

Doggerland is (was) a Republic in the middle of the North Sea, half German half English :wink:

Will they keep Welsh Corgis? Do they want children?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Psamathe wrote:

Ian

Doggerland is (was) a Republic in the middle of the North Sea, half German half English :wink:

I felt a "twist" on what you said would be another opportunity for me to show disrespect for the Royals (never one to miss an opportunity when it comes to the Royal Family).

Ian
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Psamathe wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:
Psamathe wrote:Is he into dogging? Something you think they'd both enjoy?

Ian

I felt a "twist" on what you said would be another opportunity for me to show disrespect for the Royals (never one to miss an opportunity when it comes to the Royal Family).

Ian

Shame it was another forum member being insulted as opposed to a Royal
Last edited by Cunobelin on 18 May 2018, 6:04pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

661-Pete wrote:I dunno - has "KC3-in-waiting" walked anyone else down the aisle? Surely not Diana, after all he was bridegroom (sort of), not father-of-the.

What I do know - at the last wedding I attended (that of my niece, last autumn), no-one 'walked' her down any aisle (strictly speaking, can a Register Office have an 'aisle'?). She marched up to the desk accompanied merely by her niece (aged 5). And a very dignified performance the little one gave, conquering her shyness. And this was nothing to do with the father of the bride (i.e. my b-in-l) being absent - he was very much present, and delivered the customary speech at the reception. It was a lot more to do with my niece's feminist principles - why should she be chattel to be 'given away' by anyone?

Good for her, I say. So why doesn't Ms Megh-h-han do the same...?

MY wife was "Best Man" at a friends wedding.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

661-Pete wrote:....and now, it transpires, homeless people who have been offered some shelter near the venue, have been told to 'clear off' in no uncertain terms...
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... eepers-bus

Reminds me a bit of the Brazilians 'cleaning up' (i.e. bulldozing) the favelas before the World Cup.

Or maybe one could push the 'godwin' theme even further.... no, perhaps better not go there... :evil:

well what do you expect? fairy tales only have the deserving poor in them? :cry: and thats a contradiction in terms
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

seems like meghan barkles and the royal pup has already done the job

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-devon-44170811/royal-wedding-2018-dogs-play-harry-and-meghan

seems to me ginger wants to get away from her fast, or maybe just over eager :wink:
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

mercalia wrote:seems like meghan barkles and the royal pup has already done the job

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-devon-44170811/royal-wedding-2018-dogs-play-harry-and-meghan

seems to me ginger wants to get away from her fast, or maybe just over eager :wink:

There are some funny videos about dogs on Youtube.... depends on your sense of humour

[youtube]Q8sVQnf32Ac[/youtube]