Grey is the new pink..

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
atoz

Grey is the new pink..

Post by atoz »

Just caught this on the Cycling Weekly website- Ribble have just released their limited edition pink Giro model- http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/produ ... lia-379222

Don't know about everyone else, but that isn't my definition of pink. The feature says "It’s a subtle yet striking design that should make the bike standout on the road." Actually I saw a B'twin nearly identical a few days ago, and I'm willing to bet it was not the same price as the esteemed Ribble model.

Now this is what used to be pink..see http://road.cc/content/tech-news/223380 ... -race-bike

So you can have any colour you like, just so long as it's mostly black or grey. Bit like all the riders wearing black jerseys.
iandriver

Re: Grey is the new pink..

Post by iandriver »

Ribble = generic mould frames + stickers. Same frame is probably branded 20 different times ( probably by giant).
No great surprise.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
atoz

Post by atoz »

iandriver wrote:Ribble = generic mould frames + stickers. Same frame is probably branded 20 different times ( probably by giant).
No great surprise.

And they charge you over £2000 for the privilege. They're good, but are they really that good?
amediasatex

Post by amediasatex »

atoz wrote:
iandriver wrote:Ribble = generic mould frames + stickers. Same frame is probably branded 20 different times ( probably by giant).
No great surprise.

And they charge you over £2000 for the privilege. They're good, but are they really that good?

While that’s a lot of money it’s not outrageous when you look at the spec

You can pick up this particular model for £2,299 on the Ribble website. The bike is only available as a complete build and the model featured here comes equipped with Shimano’s Ultegra R8000 groupset, Mavic Cosmic Pro carbon wheels

Those wheels are ~£800-900 on their own, an Ultegra R8000 group will set you back another £700, throw some tyres and finishing kit at it and it doesn’t leave much for the frame.

Not a bike I’d buy (for many other reasons) but the price is in line with others at comparable level, and actually lower than you’d pay for a bigger brand.
atoz

Post by atoz »

amediasatex wrote:
atoz wrote:
No great surprise.

While that’s a lot of money it’s not outrageous when you look at the spec

You can pick up this particular model for £2,299 on the Ribble website. The bike is only available as a complete build and the model featured here comes equipped with Shimano’s Ultegra R8000 groupset, Mavic Cosmic Pro carbon wheels

Those wheels are ~£800-900 on their own, an Ultegra R8000 group will set you back another £700, throw some tyres and finishing kit at it and it doesn’t leave much for the frame.

Not a bike I’d buy (for many other reasons) but the price is in line with others at comparable level, and actually lower than you’d pay for a bigger brand.

OK point taken- but it's still not acceptable to claim you're promoting a Giro version when it's only got a few pink transfers. Is pink such a sales disaster? I bet Ribble change their approach if Simon Yates wins the Giro- lol
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

If they don't sell them all, the can redo the stickers in yellow for July. ( Crikey, I'm turning into a grumpy old man :D )
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
atoz

Post by atoz »

iandriver wrote:If they don't sell them all, the can redo the stickers in yellow for July. ( Crikey, I'm turning into a grumpy old man :D )

Nah, you're just realistic.

If it wasn't for the Giro, you would never see either pink bikes or clothing, apart from kiddies bikes and "women specific" stuff (which is now rather dated anyway)..
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

Fruity.
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.