Quick Link (removal) tool - experiences / recs ?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Graham

Quick Link (removal) tool - experiences / recs ?

Post by Graham »

The last couple of chains that I have fitted had VERY tight quicklinks.

In the past this has led to desperate measures to get such a quicklink back off.
( With current chains it seems to far more risky to muck about with the normal links. )

I am aware of the Park Tools one which does fitting and removal.
I also saw a pair of tools, from a different company, one for fitting : one for removal. ( This seems excessive ! )
NUKe

Re: Quick Link (removal) tool - experiences / recs ?

Post by NUKe »

Parktool is good I would recommend that one. I have 2, one is removal only and the other removal refit. I bought the second one when I had to start joining chains for the grasshopper and couldn't use the tension of the bike.
NUKe

Post by Airsporter1st »

I can't remember where I bought mine, probably eBay but definitely one of the better quality UK suppliers (posibly Tweeks), because I conciously avoid the wealth of tat on sale there.

They are open and close type, were not very expensive (vs e.g. Park) and for the infrequent use they get from this amateur, perfectly adequate for the job.

P.S. I think I got them here - £8.99:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bikehand-Bike-Bicycle-Chain-Quick/dp/B00CW91010
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Mine came from Tweeks and is a single tool to open and close. solid bit of kit for not a lot of money.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
mjr

Post by mjr »

I still consider the best approach to be to put the bike in small/small, grab a section of bottom chain run around the quick link so that the quick link dangles slack at the bottom of the loop (basically relieving the tension from the derailleur), then use a parallel-face wrench/grip to squeeze the quick link diagonally in the opening direction (so squeezing the two corners with pins not slots).

I think those special quick link pliers are inevitably too spindly to cope with a seriously stuck link because the ends have to fit inside a modern narrow chain and there have been some reports posted on here of pliers bending quick links making removal even more difficult (example).

If you don't like my method, I'd suggest CJ's method of pushing a quick link kinked up on the chainring which surely should be on the "too good to lose" post but doesn't seem to be.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Shown this before:-
Link1 (Large).JPG

Ordinary pliers at diagonal corners for undoing.
Pressure on the pedals to close.
Yes the designed tool probably is easier.
(I carry a spare link in my pack but you need a chain tool for removing any damaged chain links.)
You'll never know if you don't try it.
mjr

Post by mjr »

cycleruk wrote:Shown this before:-
Link1 (Large).JPG
Ordinary pliers at diagonal corners for undoing.
Pressure on the pedals to close.
Yes the designed tool probably is easier.
(I carry a spare link in my pack but you need a chain tool for removing any damaged chain links.)

Interesting. I use my parallel-face pliers perpendicular to those, with the handles nearly parallel to the chain side plates, so if the chain's on the bike as I described, the handles point towards the floor.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
PH

Post by PH »

I have the Bike Hand version from Spa, picked it up at York Rally last year (With a discount :wink: ) and it works fine.
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s72p327 ... ol-YC335CO

I've previously used the method highlighted by CJ and posted above, it works fine there's just something nice about having the right tool.
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
I'm assuming that you're not trying to remove a single-use link??
Blast grit out with WD40 or similar, shouldn't need a gadget
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

^^^^
+1
You shouldn't need a tool. A clean link will undo without one.

One trick, is to pull the chain so one end of the QL stands up on the top run of the big chainring.
Press the roller down with a thin screwdriver.
Mick F. Cornwall
paul434

Post by paul434 »

+1
My tool kit for removing link pictured below. Note bent bit of old spoke wire. I use it to hold the chain together giving me slack links between making handling easy.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Graham wrote:The last couple of chains that I have fitted had VERY tight quicklinks....

worth noting that in many chain types you can get chains with re-usable and non-resuable QLs. The latter are often a very tight fit. Even with the former if there is dirt in the wrong place then they can be difficult to undo. Both types look about the same and only micro-markings differentiate them in some cases.

I echo the thoughts of others, i.e, that a diagonal squeeze works as well as anything in the workshop and out on the road the 'last link standing' approach works OK.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
robgul

Post by robgul »

Going back to the OP - yes Park Tool does a "remove" tool BUT way better is the SuperB tool that both connects and removes the links - 10 or 11 speed links are often tight and fiddly to connect - the SuperB makes it simple. I've fitted 7 new chains at the shop today, quick and easy (especially if you use an old spoke bent to make a "third hand" hook/tool to hold the two ends of the chain together while you fit the link)

See http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-ma ... ect-remove

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
softlips

Post by softlips »

I find the Park Tool great for removal and refitting 10 and 11 speed, no experience of other tools.
Graham

Post by Graham »

Brucey wrote:worth noting that in many chain types you can get chains with re-usable and non-resuable QLs. The latter are often a very tight fit.

What is the point of non-reusable QLs.

Even worse - making such an infernal thing indistinguishable from a reusable ( i.e. proper ) one.

The world has already gone mad, but this is the final straw . . . .