Do you use your garmin edge much?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
NEvans

Do you use your garmin edge much?

Post by NEvans »

I've had an Edge 810 for a couple of years but find I don't really use it. Using a cateye and android google maps achieves everything I need (getting me from A to B) and strava to look at the details later. I also find the screen on my Samsung somewhat clearer.

I like to look at routes done including hills, speeds, averages etc on route the cateye does this great and at home strava on my computer is very good to review.

Is it an excellent bit of equipment that I've just not taken the time to learn and use to anything near it's potential, or is it an expensive piece that is overkill for someone like myself?
Newton's first law; Large body mass and weight equals fast going down hill but slow going up,
So blame Newton not me when you're bored waiting at the top of the hill.
TrevA

Re: Do you use your garmin edge much?

Post by TrevA »

I use mine all the time for recording my rides. I no longer have a separate cycle computer on any bike, I just swap the Garmin 810 from bike to bike. Each bike has its own holder and it's a 2 second job to take the Garmin off or put it back on.

I use the maps on audaxes and rides in unfamiliar areas, where I will often pre-programme a route using Strava, Garmin Connect or Ride with GPS. Audax organisers will often supply a GPX file that can uploaded to the Garmin. I load all my rides onto Garmin Connect and Strava, so that I can look at the speed and climbing profiles and keep a record of where I have been. It's also nice to have rides stats for the week, month and year.

My Garmin automatically uploads rides to my phone and then to Garmin Connect and Strava, as soon as I save the ride.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
NEvans

Post by NEvans »

TrevA wrote:, where I will often pre-programme a route using Strava, Garmin Connect or Ride with GPS. Audax organisers will often supply a GPX file that can uploaded to the Garmin. I load all my rides onto Garmin Connect and Strava,

I merely use Strava for looking at results, do you need the pro version to program routes with it?
Newton's first law; Large body mass and weight equals fast going down hill but slow going up,
So blame Newton not me when you're bored waiting at the top of the hill.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

No, I only have the free version, I tend to use Garmin Connect for route planning, but I do use Strava sometimes as its easier to share the route with others.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes.
Every single time I'm out riding.
I have an Edge20, and a Garmin Montana. I record all my rides.

I sometimes use Montana in the car for the satnav facility, and also when walking for the OS maps.
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Yes, if it's a route I know I use my edge 25, for new routes around the lanes of Staffordshire I use my edge 800. I've got a spare one brand new in the box! I always have strava on my phone but sometimes it stops recording mid ride. Just wish all this technology had been around when I started riding a bike!