Recumbent trike speed

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
hercule

Re: Recumbent trike speed

Post by hercule »

Those seem to be very good averages and you're only starting out, expect to get a bit quicker as you adapt.

I found adding a Streamer fairing added an extra boost. It only really kicked in at about 15-16mph for me but there is a hidden benefit: if you’re cycling along at 10mph into a 10mph headwind, then your relative velocity is 20mph and the fairing is a net benefit. It also really picks up the wind from behind and even into the wind at certain angles it will give you a bit of a boost.

A tail fairing is supposed to be even more efficient but it won’t keep the rain off or keep you a bit warmer in freezing weather (I’ve never found that I’ve overheated with the Streamer but I do live in the Frozen North where 15C is a heatwave).
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

15-16 mph is the speed where aerodynamic drag really starts to kill you.
And as it goes up at the square of the speed, this means that the increase in power need to speed up goes up at the cube of the speed.
So even though you'll probably put out less power on a recumbent, the aero advantage is normally to big on a good bent for an upright to keep up with.

My biggest "hidden" advantage from my Streamer Fairing is that the air flow from it diverts most of the bugs above my head so I don't end up eating many of them ....... :lol:
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Comparing bikes to trikes for performance is an "if all else is equal" game, which since all else won't be is a losing one.

For example, the fastest machines over 1 hour in a velodrome or a flying 200m are bikes, the fastest ever Land's End to John o' Groats is held by a trike.

Even comparing bikes to bikes or trikes to trikes is fairly silly. My first and second 'bent bikes had quite similar layouts. First was very quick and encouraged me to go fast, second was ponderous and encourages me to cruise.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
hercule

Post by hercule »

When I compare the trike to an upright bike, the trike is still faster over an hour or more...

...because on a DF I have to stop every half hour to ease my aching neck.

Mind you, on a recumbent bike (Nazca Fuego in my case) I’m faster than on the Trice though not by very much. And using the same criteria as above, probably there is nothing in it as I can eat and drink on the trike without problem at most speeds, I have to stop on the Fuego to avoid visiting the nearest ditch (though that is probably down to rider skills, lack of).
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

As distance increases the likelihood that a recumbent will be faster than a bike increases.
You just need to look at ultra long distance audax rides (lel, pbp, raam) to see this.

As for trikes, they do tend to be slower but idea for long distance, relaxed, road cycling.
They are so different that the astonishing factor gives you better overtakes than if you were on a bike.
But the extra drag from three wheels means that they are very hard work when the going gets soft.
fossala

Post by fossala »

I'm looking into a fairing before winter but can't decide between the streamer and the windwrap wxg. Maybe I should start another thread and see what people think are the best.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

I've used a Streamer fairing with a modified upper mount for the last 6 years.
I've extended the derailleur boom for the upper mount.
I did try mounting a Windwrap fairing at ICE but couldn't get angles/distances right to get happy with the clearances over my knees.
My only impression of the Windwrap just sitting behind it while trying to fit it was that it was narrower/shallower than the Streamer, never tried it on the road.
I think a minor downside of the Streamer is a aluminium it's build from is brittle, so I find the frames crack after a few years of use.
But then mine does get hammered with high speed off road runs ....... :D
fossala

Post by fossala »

Tigerbiten wrote:I think a minor downside of the Streamer is a aluminium it's build from is brittle, so I find the frames crack after a few years of use.
But then mine does get hammered with high speed off road runs ....... :D

There are rumble markings on the road at the bottom of a hill I go down everyday. It's a mile long 10% hill. I hit them at around 45mph, guessing closer to 50mph with a fairing. Maybe that is a good enough reason to look into a windwrap. Do ICE have them down the factory to look at, I'm only around 25 miles from them?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I’ve not seen any when I’ve been in. Some old fairings up high, nothing for sale :(
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

It was around 5 years ago when I tried one there.
I think they got one in to evaluate it.
But I'm sure if you ask them, they could order you one.

When I say Streamer fairing aluminium is brittle, I'm talking year of abuse before it fails.
If you can reinforce the top bow and mounting bracket so they cannot vibrate, you won't have a problem.
Because I mount the top bracket at an angle from the derailleur post, it can vibrate more.
Mount it vertically from the main tube will be stiffer.
I mount mine like that imply by the way I get on.
With only one arm, for me it's easier to stand at 45 degrees over a front wheel before sitting down as I'm better balanced.
This means I need to swing a foot over the front boom, a vertical mount would get in the way.

Luck ............ :D
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Terracycle's Pat Franz made some comparisons between the GX, WGX and Streamer. The GX and Streamer have very similar profiles, they are narrower than the WGX and faster. The WGX being wider gives more hand protection in winter.

I hadt a Windwrap XT which was good at keeping my feet warm and dry. I became irritated by water droplets coming off the fairing and into my face.
canoesailor

Post by canoesailor »

I went for a ride yesterday and when I reached the cross roads a Lycra Lout on an upwrong was out of his saddle going across them at speed, he smiled at me. I thought, lets see how close I can get to him. I soon caught him up and realised I was travelling a lot faster than him and would have to pass him, he was out of his saddle trying still. I passed him and when we were level I said "breezy isn't it". He tried to answer but I couldn't understand him. I was soon far enough ahead to cut in front and prepare for the left turn at the bottom. I didn't see him again. GPS showed 18.1mph.
fossala

Post by fossala »

I'm about to go out for a ride with a mate who will be using a DF, I'll be on my trike. I'm way stronger at climbing but he has more consistent speed. Normally we both ride DF and we have ridden many mile over many years so we know each others ability well, should be interesting. I'll report back how we get on together.
fossala

Post by fossala »

One more month has passed so I thought I would update the thread. I'm now on a very nice Trice Micro.

No wind really at all.

Distance - 10.24 Miles
Time - 34.44
Max speed - 45.5mph
Elevation gain - 960ft
Average speed 17.7mph

Looks like I've gained 2.3mph over a month. Obviously different days and different trikes but that is a big improvement already.
mark aldridge

Post by mark aldridge »

Is that with the fairing ?
Just think how much faster it would be if it was painted red.
I'm glad you are enjoying it.
In my heart I regret selling it but my head says think of the money.
Mark