Did you get married in clothes related to your work or other activity?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Did you or would you get married in clothes related to your work or other activity?

Yes I did or would do
25%
No I didnt or wouldn't
69%
dont know
6%

Total votes: 16

mercalia

Did you get married in clothes related to your work or other activity?

Post by mercalia »

Did you or would you get married in clothes related to your work or other activity?

I thought it would be interesting to ask how many here who are married and in some way have a uniform related to work or other activity, got married in them. would dos's/don'ts can also take part
Bonefishblues

Re: Did you get married in clothes related to your work or other activity?

Post by Bonefishblues »

Yes, I wear trousers for work, too - and a shirt.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Time to stop digging?
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

The question "Did you or would you get married in clothes related to your work or other activity?" is too vague to be very useful. Some respondents will take it literally, others will guess at what they think it means and answer that question, making the data invalid.

It might be relevant to also ask for the respondent's gender - I suspect there will be a lot more yes answers from men, so if the distribution of men and women in the sample is not equal that could affect the result.

E.g. while I have often since worn the trousers and shoes which I wore at my wedding at work (and so have answered 'yes'), the dress my wife wore has not had the same everyday use. I suspect we are not the only couple where that is the case.
Tizme

Post by Tizme »

Three months before I got married I was struck by a car as I crossed the road - he was travelling so fast he hit me 3 times before he could stop, just kept bouncing me up in to the air! As I was being taken in to A&E the nurse said did I have anything planned for the next three months? I thought someone had said something to her and she was winding me up. I told her it was 3 months almost to the day of my wedding and I WOULD be getting married! Everyone said we should cancel. For 7 weeks I was in traction to heal the broken femur (the only real injury I sustained) and 2 weeks later was discharged from hospital with a full leg cast - toe to groin. The only thing that would fit and hide my cast was my RN No 1 uniform trousers -bell bottoms! I hid my crutches for the day and walked my new wife back down the aisle.

We had cancelled our Austrian walking honeymoon and found a little holiday flat in Mevigissey, Cornwall. What we didn't know was that the flat was the converted roof of a bungalow, complete with the narrowest stairs I have ever seen! The lady owner was really worried I wouldn't be able to get up them, the male owner just laughed and said "It's their honeymoon and the bedroom is up their, he'll get up those stairs!" Funnily enough I had no problem!
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I was married in my Mess Dress jacket, (shirt, bow tie, and medals) and an RAF tartan kilt ... :D
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

thirdcrank wrote:Time to stop digging?

I don't think labourers would wear their work clothes tbh - or do you mean labourers of a point?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I didn't think orange workwear,hard hat,cap lamp,oil lamp and pitboots would've gone down too well with my bride to be,so I knuckled down and bought a suit,shirt and tie.
70's flaired tousers fashion meant I could've got away with the pitboots but knowing my place I was forced not to risk it and bought a new pair of platform shoes.

PS,my bride to be didn't wear pitboots either I'm glad to say :)

PPS,just realised,there's something about digging in my post :shock:
Last edited by reohn2 on 20 May 2018, 6:01pm, edited 2 times in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Seeing as I was a software engineer, perhaps I should've got married in my anorak....

But I didn't.... :wink:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Your original question was whether Firemen got married in their "job rags", the answer was yes...... adding nurses, maids, builders, nudists, chemical defence workers is not going to change the fact that your were wrong and they do
ktuludays

Post by ktuludays »

Raf no 1's when I was serving

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using hovercraft full of eels.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I know a song about this....

It is from Cyril Tawney"s I married my Jenny Wren Bride:

Her family hung flags in the churchyard
And they painted the hallway with flatting,
When out steppcd the bride they all piped the side,
And she tripped on the coconut matting.

Her wedding-dress, lashed up with spunyarn,
Was made from an old whaler's sail.
On top of her head a dishcloth was spread,
With a spudnet in front for a veil.

Her pctticoat was made out of hessian,
Her knickers were made of green baize,
While for her suspenders she'd a motor-boat's fenders
And two pusser's gaiters for stays.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

landsurfer wrote:I was married in my Mess Dress jacket, (shirt, bow tie, and medals) and an RAF tartan kilt ... :D

Full no 1s (see Mick F's pic in the other thread). We were in Broadstairs in Kent, and couldn't move for people who wanted to touch your collar for luck buy you a pint
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Cunobelin wrote:
landsurfer wrote:I was married in my Mess Dress jacket, (shirt, bow tie, and medals) and an RAF tartan kilt ... :D

Full no 1s (see Mick F's pic in the other thread). We were in Broadstairs in Kent, and couldn't move for people who wanted to touch your collar for luck buy you a pint

Respect .....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Cunobelin wrote:... nudists ...

By definition nudists cannot get married in clothes related to their activity :wink: .