Introductions - tell us about yourself

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
dkmwt

Post by dkmwt »

Captain Bb wrote: until decending a particularly steep hill one day when mine became unstable at speed and threw me over the top.

This happened to me twice going down Totnes bypass. I was about 8 at the time. Bombing down this long hill I got a speed wobble fell off, I picked myself up, everything seemed ok so I carried on. Then it happened again, this time in front of a landrover, he stopped picked me up put my bike in the back and took me home. My mum told me that the guy said "buy him a proper bike".

I never rode that bike again, but I did have one in my teens that I never had a problem with.
Cheers, Donald
Trice "Qnt 26" 26/39/55 F 10sp 11/36 R, now with Windwrap fairing.
ICE B1 34/50 F Capreo 9/32 R.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dkmwt/78674512/
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1188814973
Phil_Lee

Post by Phil_Lee »

dkmwt wrote:Then it happened again, this time in front of a landrover, he stopped picked me up put my bike in the back and took me home. My mum told me that the guy said "buy him a proper bike".

Isn't it sad that these days nobody would dare do that, for fear of being labelled a child snatcher. :cry:
peapod

Post by peapod »

Hi my name is Anne. I used to bike a lot many moons ago, a few weeks ago my friend asked me to go biking with her and it's just about killed me off :shock: I borrowed my daughters mountain bike and I thought I was going to have a heart attack by the time I got back.
I've just bought a specialized mountain bike, its nice and light. I live just outside newcastle so if anyone sees someone riding a bike and looking like they're going to collapse at any minute give a wave cause it'll be me :) I've deciced to try and go out each day and to build up my stammina, I'm shocked at how unfit I've become to be honest.
I'm in my 40's but feeling twice that at the mo.
Oh and my friend, she's given the bike riding up :shock:
Si

Post by Si »

Welcome Peapod, and don't worry - when I returned to the bike I was in my early 20s and only managed 1/2 a mile first time out before keeling over! It'll soon come back to you - just do it in short manageable rides and build up gently!
Asdace

Post by Asdace »

I first started cycling when I was 13 years old and sadly stopped when I was 18 years, drinking and smoking and general teenage life taking over.

However I started cycling again when I was 23 years and found after smoking, my chest was not too good, legs were like jelly. I did pack the smoking in a year later and discovered the YHA and walking, never looked back since.

I would keep it up, keep it simple and enjoyable, know your limits. I'm sure in the end, your legs will thank you for it , like mine.
peapod

Post by peapod »

So far the most I've managed is just over 8 mile :oops: I wish in a way my friend had kept it up, I think the fact that she was just about killing herself meant I didn't feel so bad :lol: I enjoyed going with someone else but I've decided to keep it up.
pea
Lady_Penelope

Post by Lady_Penelope »

Hi Everyone!

I have no co-ordination... so as a child my mum took my bike off me. (funnily I never had a major injury on it though!)

About 7 years ago, I went on a camping holiday and a lot of the people there had bikes, I thought I could do that.

I promptly came home and got a Action Bikes, buy one get one free deal on something. Hey it worked out at £100 per bike, and it meant I hadn't wasted too much money if I didn't use the bike!

Well I had that bike for about 2 years. I rode to work a few times a week on that one, and I thoroughly enjoyed cycling to work.
I then changed it to 'Elsie', who I had for about 4 years (until the accident in May) and now I have 'Fast Fiona'

I cycle to work every day now, and I do own some lycra :oops:

So that's me in a nutshell

Lady P
lauriematt

Post by lauriematt »

Lady_Penelope wrote:Hi Everyone!

I cycle to work every day now, and I do own some lycra :oops:

Lady P

hi...

thats when you know youve become a cyclist - when you get your first lycra kit!

i remember getting my first set of shorts about 3 or 4 years ago ( still use them daily :lol: ) which were ' lent ' to me - tho never returned! :lol: it was for me and my sis boyfriend to go out on a 40mile ride! which was the first time id ever done that kind of distance
WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU .... CAN ONLY MAKE YOU STRONGER
Gunner

Bosworth Battlefield Trail

Post by Gunner »

Here is our introduction to everyone and thanks again for all your help in choosing the bikes and kit via this forum. :lol:

We have clocked up 50 miles over the last 2 days cycling on our local cycle routes 20 yesterday and 30 today, all this fun on our door step :lol:

Here is Mrs Gunner and myself posing between showers, it wasn't just rain.... it was M&S rain!!! It Poured Down on us.

bikely-challenged

Post by bikely-challenged »

Hello all :)

Just bought a new bike yesterday, but have been "lurking" in here for a couple of weeks and reading your posts with great interest, whilst doing some research before buying.

The last time I had a bike was about 18 years ago and I have very few memories of it (Peugeot MTB) - I cycled to work on it a few times then sold it and went back to the car. Don't think I could have enjoyed it that much.

Before that I had childhood bikes which I remember with great fondness of how much fun it was.

Now I'm a middle aged housewife I'm probably trying to recapture that fun and have bought a bike for recreation and to improve fitness. Where I live there's lots of great forest tracks to walk with the dog, (albeit hilly) and I've often thought it would be great to have a bike here.

Anyway, that's me.

PS
Any horse riders here? Is it feasible to ride a bike wearing jodhpurs? I don't want to lash out for cycling kit just yet, but nearly all my trousers are flares! (don't ask). Thanks.
Toad

Post by Toad »

Hi b-c,

Me too - new bike and first post here. Enjoying the bike so much I'm out on it all the time. Hope to get a little fitter!

Yes to horses. My jods are perfect for riding and haven't worn out so far. I can also ride to the stables and not have to change which is quite handy.

Trevor
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Hi everybody!
(Waves emphatically at the screen)
Welcome to the forum!

I'm off tomorrow for a couple of weeks, She Who Must be Obeyed is dragging me away on a cruise in the Med. Boo Hoo, I'll be away from my bike and the hills. The weather down here has been rubbish these last few weeks, and I'll bet whilst we're away it'll be perfect for cycling.

(I have suggested we could hire bikes during shore-time, but she's not impressed.)
Mick F. Cornwall
bikely-challenged

Post by bikely-challenged »

Thanks for that Toad and welcome to you too! Hope you enjoy your new bike.

Mick F, thanks for the welcome. Have a great time on your cruise (try, anyway!). Weather here has been awful too (W coast of Scotland). Maybe we'll both get an Indian summer in September. Fingers crossed.
Toad

Post by Toad »

Coo, Scotland, Cornwall, sound a bit hilly to me - I'm in Norfolk, and our slopes slow me down!

However we're in Falmouth for a week soon. Enjoying biking so much I'll see if I can get it in the back of the car...
dkmwt

Post by dkmwt »

Falmouth, where the best trikes are made, go here for a visit to a cyclists toy shop. As well as fun trying them out.

Inspired Cycle Engineering Ltd,
Unit 9 Spencer Carter Works,
Tregoniggie Ind. Est.,
Bickland Water Road,
Falmouth,
Cornwall,
TR11 4SN
Cheers, Donald
Trice "Qnt 26" 26/39/55 F 10sp 11/36 R, now with Windwrap fairing.
ICE B1 34/50 F Capreo 9/32 R.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dkmwt/78674512/
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1188814973