LEJOG Route setting off 6th May.

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Alan58

Re: LEJOG Route setting off 6th May.

Post by Alan58 »

Many many thanks Shadwellrhino much appreciated I did not know about the “other” Betty’s sounds good. Again thank you for taking the time with regards to the route suggestions
Alan58

Post by Alan58 »

:D approximately 345 miles done to Stratford Upon Avon in 2weeks. 25% done I think
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Excellent! :D :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Alan58

Post by Alan58 »

Thanks Mick.
shadwellrhino

Post by shadwellrhino »

Not sure of your intended route but without wishing to complicate things there’s a second Bettys on the outskirts of Harrogate, and others in the centre of York and Ilkley! Northallerton is the quietest of these, and gives the most direct route north. York takes you out to the east, whereas Ilkley takes you out to the west where it is picturesque but hilly. So you can get a decent cuppa whichever way you pass through!
Alan58

Post by Alan58 »

Cup of tea and cake is always good. Went from Market Harborough to Melton Mowbray on the B6047 give it a go weeeeeeee and a nice cup of tea and cake half way down
RachelH

Post by RachelH »

How are you getting on, Alan? I think I saw you pulling out of LE just as we arrived, so didn't get to say hello! Hope the roads and the weather are being as kind to you as they are for me. We're up in Pitlochry now, and about to hit the hills again.
Alan58

Post by Alan58 »

Hi Rachel I hope you are enjoying your trip as much as I am enjoying mine? I am in York tomorrow done approximately 500 miles got 500 more to do according to Google Maps that is. Journey have been relatively straight forward. Route also relatively straight forward if I avoid the cycle routes. What about you? How are you getting up to JOG?
Alan58

Post by Alan58 »

2nd proposed route from York:
Helperby Northallerton Darlington Durham Ryton to avoid tunnel closures Morpeth Alnwick Cheswick Auchenceow East Linton Edinburgh Perth Pitlochry Dalwhinnie Aviemore Inverness Dingwall Tain Lairg Altnaharra Tongue Armadale Thurso John o’Groats
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

No Helmsdale? I thought it was a lovely place, Mick F liked it so much he went back for a second night!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:lol: :lol:

JOGLE 1994
Helmsdale.jpg

I had spent the first night before the ride at the YHA at Canisbay after taking the train to Wick, then headed to JOG and immediately south to Helmsdale YHA. I arrived mid afternoon and leant the bike up near the clock tower and laid down in the sunshine waiting for Helmsdale YHA to open up at 5pm.

Next time I was there, was LEJOG and Back in 2006.
I stayed at the pub in the square, the Belgrave Arms. Stayed two nights.

Arrive at the Belgrave in the afternoon, stayed overnight with an evening meal and breakfast, then left my trailer and luggage there whilst I rode to
JOG and back, arriving late afternoon after the 56miles each way.

Stayed overnight again, then headed south to Inverness YHA,
The rest is history. :D
http://lejogandback.blogspot.co.uk
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

I enjoyed reading about your adventures Mick F! I stayed at Helmsdale youth hostel in 1987 when I rode from Halesowen to Kirkwall and back, I also stayed in Carbisdale castle youth hostel, it was that big there was a 12 slice toaster in the kitchen!
But when I did my double end to end in 1990 I stayed in bed and breakfast places every night. It's a shame how many hostels have closed now, I was about 12 the first time I stayed in one, no cars allowed and lights out at half ten!!
Alan58

Post by Alan58 »

Only 350 to do. “Only”
Alan58

Post by Alan58 »

997 miles completed of 1123 - Tain to Lairg tomorrow
Alan58

Post by Alan58 »

So far so good