3rd KMX Trike Test Ride, A success

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
m6mal

3rd KMX Trike Test Ride, A success

Post by m6mal »

I took my trike for it's 3rd test run and it was a success. I had the boom slip on me last trip so that is now sorted and it never moved this time thus giving me a much better ride. The hills were easier aswell. It took 18 mins to do 2 miles and was only my 3rd ever ride (i have been videoing all my rides) so average speed about 6 mph. I had to dodge some of Kettering notorious pot holes aswell lol. Hope people enjoy the video, there will be more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuIZwSAu4VI&t=00s
squeaker

Re: 3rd KMX Trike Test Ride, A success

Post by squeaker »

My knees were wincing at 2:13 :roll: they like to spin ;)
"42"
m6mal

Post by m6mal »

squeaker wrote:My knees were wincing at 2:13 :roll: they like to spin ;)

Not sure what you mean by that comment, if it was my speed then lets get the fact straight that it is my 3rd time ever on my trike, first ride 4 mins test 2nd 12 mins test and this one. I am over 60 and not ridden a bike for 14 years and i got this to get fit as i dont go out etc. Also i slowed down as i hadnt got in the right gear and this is the spot my boom had slid in on my last ride so i was naturally weary. If you like to go round like a mad man then thats your choice so there is no need to show off as it does not impress me. I put my video on to share with folk who like me are new to recumbents, i am sure that in time i will get "quicker" but the thing is, it is not about speed, it is about enjoyment.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

It references the low cadence - pushing hard on the pedals at low rate.

The road speed itself isn't the issue, if you have a lower gear you may find it easier to change down and spin the feet faster

You are also very close to the gutter, which is IME going to get you left wheel punctures.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Wot Bob said: easy to knacker your knees with multiple slow leg presses ;)

Kudos for being out there, though :)
"42"
m6mal

Post by m6mal »

AH Right, no probs, i understand now :D
hemo

Post by hemo »

Generally the higher cadence in low gear involves the cardio a bit more, lungs and heart will recover quicker after a short rest or breather. Low cadence in high gear means torque which is using muscle energy this takes a lot longer to recover then cardio so fatigue will set in sooner.
Also as others have eluded to grinding at low cadence won't help the knees too much.
Other wise 1+ for getting out and riding keep up the good work.
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

It's even more important on a recumbent as you can put a lot more pressure on your knee joints(pushing back against the seat back) than you could on an upright cycle (lifts you off the saddle).

Keep up the good work and remember ENJOY YOURSELF, the fitness will come without you worrying about it so have FUN.