Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
John100

Re: Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Post by John100 »

I've sent an email to Kevin and copied everyone in but got a lot of error messages. If you don't recieve anything can you please let me know....
Hi - you have PM
Thanks
flash

Post by flash »

Well that wasn't too successful. Can someone please email me a list of the group's email addresses and I'll try again.....ta
RickH

Post by RickH »

cycleruk wrote:
flash wrote:Is there anywhere we can talk practicalities outside the forum, like can I scrounge a cup of hot water for coffee (AM) and cup a soup (PM) or do I need to bring a stove / kettle. Do I need to bring a chunky lock for overnight lockage of the bike, is anyone riding with a pump that actually inflates tyres, or should I look for something better than I have, etc...

2 choices = PM on this forum, but that is only individual, or you should have had a list of Wimps Email contacts.
An Email can be sent to all in the group at once.
We also have the Wimps Strava but I am not sure if that can be used.

Another option would be some sort of "group". You could set up a Google group then whenever anyone posts to the group everyone gets an email.

An additional alternative, & one I'm just getting into c/o my eldest daughter, is WhatsApp. That uses mobile phone numbers to link folk. You can set up groups there so everyone in the group gets amy message, photo, etc. that anyone sends to the group or you can contact people individually. It is primarily a phone ap but there is a PC /MAC program that link to your phone login which may be easier if you want to type lots.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

I think group email is the way to go.
Cycleruk I think you have all the email addresses my list has some with capitals instead of lower case, could you send the first one out to everyone then all they have to Do is hit return the way we have been doing and if I remember correctly you suggested for the group some time ago
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience
RickH

Post by RickH »

oldmanonabike wrote:I think group email is the way to go.
Cycleruk I think you have all the email addresses my list has some with capitals instead of lower case, could you send the first one out to everyone then all they have to Do is hit return the way we have been doing and if I remember correctly you suggested for the group some time ago

Don't forget that you need to use "Reply to All" (which is usually not the default) rather than just "Reply" if you want folk other than the sender to get replies.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Nickeveson

Post by Nickeveson »

Hi Guys
A great idea .I too was also wondering if I need to bring "brew up " things....ie cooker....pan etc
Last edited by Nickeveson on 25 May 2018, 8:34pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

RickH wrote:
oldmanonabike wrote:I think group email is the way to go.

Don't forget that you need to use "Reply to All" (which is usually not the default) rather than just "Reply" if you want folk other than the sender to get replies.

Good point thanks
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

Just in case someone spots my days ride on Strava I had better come clean.
As you know I parted company with my bike at the beginning of the year subsequent health problems show that rather than the couple of ribs I thought I fractured it turns out to be three on the back and four on the front.
I digress, i haven't been able to do the training needed for Lejog and with four weeks to go I'm unlikely to catch up.
My family knowing I will attempt it anyway and possibly cause other problems have bought me a Giant Road E 2 bike which will assist my Lejog attempt and hopefully allow me to keep up with everyone else.
Strava showing 35 pb's is because i had my first ride on it today
KFT

Post by KFT »

I've just sent an email with contact details to all of the Wimps - if anyone doesn't receive it please let me know by PM.

4 weeks tomorrow to the off :D
Nickeveson

Post by Nickeveson »

Old Man.....you will be fine.....we ain't gonna leave you behind! I am the first to admit that my climbing ain't great.....I will plod upwards but will not be top3 to the summit! We will all have weaknesses...we will all have strengths.....we are a TEAM
sbcoombs

Post by sbcoombs »

Nickeveson wrote:Old Man.....you will be fine.....we ain't gonna leave you behind! I am the first to admit that my climbing ain't great.....I will plod upwards but will not be top3 to the summit! We will all have weaknesses...we will all have strengths.....we are a TEAM

He will now. He’ll be racing up the climbs..
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

Nickeveson wrote:Old Man.....you will be fine.....we ain't gonna leave you behind! I am the first to admit that my climbing ain't great.....I will plod upwards but will not be top3 to the summit! We will all have weaknesses...we will all have strengths.....we are a TEAM

I did have a plan, I wasn't going to tell anyone else the route so everyone had to follow me I don't know what went wrong
Nickeveson

Post by Nickeveson »

That's brilliant
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

You know who’s wheel we’re taking if there is a headwind :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
hughwill69

Post by hughwill69 »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,

How did you find the Granite Way?

Was it hell or was it pleasant and traffic free..........how were those mountains of slopes...............plenty places to stop and sandwich etc...... :mrgreen:

Well, after climbing on the old A30 from Bridestowe finding it at all was somewhat of a chore since the sign on the A386 is tiny and partially covered with vegetation!

I agree with Mick that it would probably have been easier to use his route into Okehampton, but the Cycle Trail was pretty good value despite being a bit slower (lots of hire traffic/ dogs etc). The cafe/bike hire at the Sourton end was inexplicably closed - I didn't see any other. Meldon Viaduct alone made the detour worth it - it comes on you suddenly and looks like something out of a 60's war film with the proximity to Dartmoor's highest hills and an impressive dam. There are one or two gates (one which seems designed to prevent the use of bicycles) but generally the surface was fine and we kept up a good lick. My only objection was having to ride down into Okehampton and then ride up the horrible hill out. A hill made double horrible by some world-class close-passing....

I would certainly recommend the old A30 up from Launceston- plenty of climbing, but well graded and generally a nice wide road with sparse traffic. Even if it was the day that every farmer in Devon had decided to use it to road test their biggest tractor and trailer combos!

Hugh