Stuck pedals cranks

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
matt2matt2002

Stuck pedals cranks

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Aluminium cranks
Steel MTB pedals
Stuck
Cannot remove
Any ideas
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
Brucey

Re: Stuck pedals cranks

Post by Brucey »

I'd suggest that you try the following things in order

1) double check that you are turning them in the correct directions; LH pedal has a LH thread, and RH pedal has a RH thread.

2) Penetrating oil, leave to soak (might do some good, won't do any harm)

3) heat, repeatedly, alternating with more oil. Note that more than ~100C will damage a black finish on the cranks and more than 200C could start to alter the condition of the aluminium cranks. If they are bad, it can take over 300C to shift them.

FWIW it is normal for well-seized pedals to finally come out, but they often take the crank threads out with them, which effectively scraps the cranks (thread repairs are possible but cost about the same as cheap new cranks do, and probably your chainrings are worn anyway, so.....)

To get more purchase on the pedal spindle than a spanner affords, you can strip the pedal down and put the pedal flats in a bench vice, with packing if necessary.

The pedals themselves are more likely to survive all this than the cranks are, in fact. Even if the pedals pull the crank threads out, some careful scraping (use a magnifying glass to inspect the threads carefully) usually removes the crud from the pedal threads.

If the pedals are bad but are not coming out, consider rebuilding the pedals (using parts from an identical new pair), around the old spindles. When the chainrings wear out, bin the lot.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

The only thing I would add to the comprehensive answer above, is don't underestimate the power of percussion. A well fitting spanner, tapped sharply with e.g a heavy wooden mallet can often be more effective than the application of sustained torque.
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Many thanks
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
RickH

Post by RickH »

I have length of square section steel pipe (one end is shaped for an unrelated, non-cycling function) about 85cm/33" long that fits over the handle of my pedal spanner. This auxiliary handle hasn't failed to shift a pedal yet! :D
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
drossall

Post by drossall »

And how big, and how good, is your pedal spanner in the first place?
RickH

Post by RickH »

drossall wrote:And how big, and how good, is your pedal spanner in the first place?

It was a freebie with a cycling magazine with about a 6" handle. 8)
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
drossall

Post by drossall »

First thing I'd try is a proper one. Points above about possible thread damage apply, but quite likely not.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Much harder with pedals that have no spanner flats and must be removed with an Allen key....
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

Much harder with pedals that have no spanner flats and must be removed with an Allen key....

Best use a socket Allen key and heat (as suggested by Brucey). Ally expands more than steel so a good hot air blower may help + add penetrating oil. If you don't have one check out your hair dryer - my daughter in law has a 2kW hair dryer. Great for paint stripping too :D
I put the widest spanner that fits on the pedal and stand on it.
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

Steve wrote:Much harder with pedals that have no spanner flats and must be removed with an Allen key....

.......but easier to use an impact gun.
robgul

Post by robgul »

Try Finish Line Chill Zone (same concept as applying heat with differing metals) - I seem to have a lot of success with it on seized pedals in the shop.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker