What motivates you to get out on ya bike?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Manx Cat

What motivates you to get out on ya bike?

Post by Manx Cat »

Apart from fantastic sunshine, and no wind that is...

Some days, I simply have to force myself out on the bike if the weather is a bit doubtful. Other days - I look out side see a gap in the clouds tog up and go out anyway.

Ive noticed things like organising bike rides that get cancelled helps! THen of course the Olympics helps as well... I watched bit of the cycling at a friends house and really enjoyed it. It totally had me determined to get out on the bike...

Didnt matter what the weather was doing, I was motivated and HAD to ride out.

What motivates you???

Oh, a good tea room helps too, and of course good company. Im much more likely to ride if Beth and Rosie fancy it too.

Mary
Toad

Post by Toad »

Hi Manx. I'm new here, having just retired from work and treated myself to a new bike, so riding just for pleasure.

Top of the list is simply enjoying the countryside here in rural Norfolk. I stick to the small lanes that don't see much traffic. Every ride is fun. First ride on the new bike was a herd of cows on the road, then a giant tractor. Second ride out was a puncture, easy to fix. Next one I fell off riding through a deep ford, not realising the bottom was so slippy - clipped in (don't laugh).

Only ever ride on my own, but I might try one of the local ctc rides if they do a v slow one!

Apparently the rain here will stop soon....
Ambermile

Post by Ambermile »

I'm with Toad here - apart from the retired bit! It's Norfolk, what more impetus do you need?

Oh yeah, no rain helps though... and no wind... and a route from Google...

Arthur
I make stuff, that's all.
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

Boredom, after I get fed up of looking at four walls I go for a ride, I think it is better to be bored on my bike than stuck indoors all day
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

during the week it's the alarm clock unfortunatly :lol: but at weekend I try and plan something, providing I'm not working :(

I enjoy the early mornings and watching the sunrise, (super picture Ambermile :) ) Having only recently got back into cycling I'm still trying to get better organised. :wink:
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
Beakyboy

Post by Beakyboy »

Three saucepans all under six! Going for a ride or staying at home? mmmmmm that is a tough one.... not!
May the wind always be at your rear!
GaryGK

Post by GaryGK »

I don't need any motivation really. As long as the sky looks relatively clear, I'll go for it.

Mainly cycle alone, but that's because I can't find anyone round here that wants to go for a group cycle. Annoying really...

When I go out. I don't plan a route. I head in a general direction and decide from there. I normally end up spending about 2 hours out at a time :)
Si

Post by Si »

Today it was my first proper ride on my new bike (did I mention that I had a new bike?) that motivated me.

And very nice it was too, apart from ront QR coming undone and the front brake being a bit iffie, oh, and trying to remember how to ride a bike with DT friction shifters, but apart from that it was ver ver good.

Other motivations:

If I need to go somewhere.
Nice weather (be that warmth in the summer, or crisp autumn mornings, or snow on the singletrak, etc)
Geting away from it all for an hour (although the allotment is starting to take over there).
Guilt about not being as fit as I should be.
The fellowship and banter from riding with friends and clubmates.
and, erm, the joy of "Just riding"(tm).
Beakyboy

Post by Beakyboy »

Si wrote:Today it was my first proper ride on my new bike (did I mention that I had a new bike?) that motivated me.

No, what is she? any pics?
May the wind always be at your rear!
Si

Post by Si »

Beakyboy wrote:
Si wrote:Today it was my first proper ride on my new bike (did I mention that I had a new bike?) that motivated me.

No, what is she? any pics?

A shiney red Dawes Galaxy. With lots of campag, inc bits of Record. Although it's all a good few years old it's in fine fettle and a joy to ride (did I tell you that it was a joy to ride?).

It's even got mirror on it, which means that I will have to fit a single pannier to the other side to balance things out.
ianr1950

Post by ianr1950 »

Whenever the topic of washing up and even more so that some decorating needs doing.

Thats my motivation :twisted:
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

ianr1950 wrote:Whenever the topic of washing up and even more so that some decorating needs doing.

Thats my motivation :twisted:

Thats a point the washing up I'd better get on with it ( my turn ) before Mrs B comes home.

Hoping for some fine weather on Sunday up early and get out while it's quiet :D :D :D
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
RexH

Post by RexH »

A wife that stole my car?
lauriematt

Post by lauriematt »

generally commuting...which i really enjoy! arriving at work clad in lycra with legs bursting with energy! :lol:

but i find if im sat around bored doing nothing i HAVE to cycle...it really solves the boredom! :lol:
WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU .... CAN ONLY MAKE YOU STRONGER
lauriematt

Post by lauriematt »

good music too gets me out on the bike...you hear a great song on the radio ... plug in your ipod ... and your away!
WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU .... CAN ONLY MAKE YOU STRONGER