Quick Link (removal) tool - experiences / recs ?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Quick Link (removal) tool - experiences / recs ?

Post by Mick F »

When mine failed - came apart? - I changed into top gear (53t outer/12t small) and powered as I do down this hill.
Click away and see my route. :D
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.53266 ... 312!8i6656

I began to freewheel at this corner by what was The Harvest Home PH. Nice pub BTW, but sadly only a B+B now.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.53414 ... 312!8i6656

I freewheeled all the way down through the Lumburn Bends, and then started turning the cranks here and found I'd lost all drive! :lol:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.53738 ... 312!8i6656

I found the chain here after walking more than 3miles home, fitting a spare chain, and going out looking. Why I didn't see it on the way home walking, I don't know, perhaps a car went by and hid it as I passed.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.53559 ... 312!8i6656
Mick F. Cornwall
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

I've broken and remade an 11sp chain 3 times without issue. The quicklink is reassuringly tight - suggesting to me that it hasn't worn or become damaged. Hopefully it's meant to be reused :?:
I use a BBB tool which breaks and remakes. It seems pretty robust and doesn't look as though it will bend any time soon.
scottg

Post by scottg »

quick link pliers, take along edition.

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/pro ... ack-pliers
Attachments
WT-MasterLinkCombo-Red-02_1024x1024.jpg
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
mjr

Post by mjr »

I note with some amusement that a single-use two-part KMC B1 quick link was sufficiently tight on the chain I replaced today that it was easier to break the chain elsewhere! Lesson learned: I fitted the new chain with a reusable three-piece quick link (a Dutch brand beginning with D whose name escapes me right now).

Oh and I think quick link pliers are useless on both types of single-speed quick link, which have both pins on the inside plate.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
MikeDee

Post by MikeDee »

Wipperman links don't need tools. Better and more reliable than KMC links.
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

I've got the Planet-X Jobsworth tool.
[url]
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TOJWPMLP/ ... ink-pliers
[/url]
It works fine on 7, 8 and 9 speed and I don't ever find reconnect difficult which the tool won't do. Quality is not that good but then most people won't use one more than a couple of times a year. Pretty sure I paid less that £4.99 a couple of years ago.
Annoying Twit

Post by Annoying Twit »

I use KMC chains for everything, and have the KMC chain link removal tool. It works fine, and I find it a big advantage over using ad-hoc methods.
Last edited by Annoying Twit on 27 May 2018, 6:12pm, edited 1 time in total.
DarkNewt

Post by DarkNewt »

I can give a thumbs up for the KMC quick links, I have always been able to take them off with my bare hands by locking my arms and letting my chest/shoulders do the pushing in, I find as long as the chain is kept cleaned regularly it's no problem.

I had a friend with a fairly stiff one I couldn't move so I applied some WD40 and I carry a very light pair of needle nose pliars in my kit with electrical tape around the end this made light work of them. I always carry a spare quick link in my kit but in all the time I have used them I have never broken one, if you do twist one don't put it back on it will be weaker and just not worth it.

I love quick links because getting my chain off for cleaning is far easier than trying to do it in situ!
Currently planning my next adventure and trying to get over two operations in 6 months but still going strong!
email: newt@systems-engineer.info web: thedarknewt.blogspot.co.uk
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

MikeDee wrote:Wipperman links don't need tools. Better and more reliable than KMC links.

Never had any problems with kmc or SRAM or any other quick links I have used.

I can undo most by hand. But a tool is much more handy when you've got a winter chain covered in oil and road grime. Similarly when trying to join the 2.5 chains I need for the Grasshopper.

Graham didn't ask whether it could be done by hand he asked which tool people thought best.
NUKe

Post by Graham »

I brought the Park Tool one, mainly to make up a bundle ( where prime item was a Miche Primato cassette ).

I have not tried using it yet.

Thanks to all, for your advice & experiences.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

MikeDee wrote:Wipperman links don't need tools. Better and more reliable than KMC links.
Not sure about that.
There was no warning to tell you that they are "directional" so it caught me out until it was explained on here.

I still have the one that came with the original Wipperman chain that came with the Moulton, but I swapped it after a 1,000miles for a decent Campag one plus KMC (non-directional) link. Much easier to fit and you don't have to worry about remembering which way up it should be.

The Wipperman chain is still ok to use, but I keep it only as a last resort.
Mick F. Cornwall
MikeDee

Post by MikeDee »

Mick F wrote:
Not sure about that.
There was no warning to tell you that they are "directional" so it caught me out until it was explained on here.

I still have the one that came with the original Wipperman chain that came with the Moulton, but I swapped it after a 1,000miles for a decent Campag one plus KMC (non-directional) link. Much easier to fit and you don't have to worry about remembering which way up it should be.

The Wipperman chain is still ok to use, but I keep it only as a last resort.

Actually KMC is directional, but is not marked. One way is stronger than the other. Just look at similar links from SRAM and the Shimano 11 speed one. I observe that on the KMC links I still use. I've broken too many KMC links for me to consider them in the future.

Once you know that the Wipperman was directional, what's the big deal, you just put it on in the proper orientation.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

MikeDee wrote:Actually KMC is directional, but is not marked. One way is stronger than the other.
Both sides are identical.
Mix and match if you have a few. I have a tin of them.
Makes no difference.
MikeDee wrote:Once you know that the Wipperman was directional, what's the big deal, you just put it on in the proper orientation.
It's just me perhaps?

Someone on here told me a good idea with these. They form a "Smile" on the bottom run .............. or was it on the top run? :wink:

The main thing is, with KMC you don't have to think or get confused. Just open the tin and pick two bits.
These are mine, but mine are silver.
https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/kmc-10c- ... #pid=25276
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just checked the 9sp version ( which I still have - absolutely no idea why ) and they are identical too.
Mick F. Cornwall
MikeDee

Post by MikeDee »

Mick F wrote:
MikeDee wrote:Actually KMC is directional, but is not marked. One way is stronger than the other.
Both sides are identical.
Mix and match if you have a few. I have a tin of them.
Makes no difference.
MikeDee wrote:Once you know that the Wipperman was directional, what's the big deal, you just put it on in the proper orientation.
It's just me perhaps?

Someone on here told me a good idea with these. They form a "Smile" on the bottom run .............. or was it on the top run? :wink:

The main thing is, with KMC you don't have to think or get confused. Just open the tin and pick two bits.
These are mine, but mine are silver.
https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/kmc-10c- ... #pid=25276

See the directional arrows on the SRAM and Shimano links? Same design as the KMC. Just because KMC is too stupid to determine that orientation is important...

See my broken KMC link?