BAUM

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
willcee

BAUM

Post by willcee »

Ran into a friend who was airing his new titanium Baum today.. what do you think of this machine with a tag well into 5 figures..6.6kg without garmin or water bottles...JPS Lotus paint finish,wheels alone were 4k numbered 82 out of 99 built.. kangeroo leather saddle,custom frame built in Australia for him with top gear throughout campagnolo electronic 11 sp super record , and the brakes never felt anything with such a light pull..horses for courses no doubt i for one wouldn't have chanced those wheels on the tarmac we travelled today..100 miles in and he has a creak and he wants me to have a look!!! will
Attachments
may 2018 006 (Small).JPG
may 2018 007 (Small).JPG
may 2018 008 (Small).JPG
may 2018 005 (Small).JPG
gregoryoftours

Re: BAUM

Post by gregoryoftours »

Kind of ugly looking thing. And creak at hundred miles must be bb30 ;)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Fools... ....money.......
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
willcee

Post by willcee »

Wouldn't think its a BB30, Baum has external cups so its most likely Campag ultra torque..Fools etc I understand, this guy is no fool earns big dollars and afaik is a software consultant ..no more fool than most Porsche BMW and Ferrari owners most of whom can afford their vehicles and couldn't drive a nail in a hard loaf.. will
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Far more spokes in those wheels than my Zonda's!

Some nice gear there but my 7.4kg machine cost under 5K - it's a lot of moola to skim 800g!

As to the creak - could be almost anything, check torque settings on stuff like stem and shifters. Very much doubt it"ll be BB related, been running my SR on the same BB without a squeak for 4 years however it might be worth checking the torque on the crank bolt (the one inside the BlackBerry axle. It's reverse thread and should be set between 40 + 60Nm.

Have to agree with others that it looks [inappropriate word removed] ugly despite the price tag!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

I'm so trying to avoid smart bottomed remarks about the kangaroo saddle.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
willcee

Post by willcee »

YEs nice saddle ,with paw prints imprinted in from much loved pet.!! 800 grms is 1.3/4 lbs...so a fair bit of weight in real terms..money is relative, in the super car performance stakes the Nissan GTR is ims iro 80ish K..its not got the cachet but in the right hands would take on many so called 'pedigree' manufacturers with double and treble the price tag and ime more of a daily driver as well.. Baum is relatively new guy on the block everything afaik is done to the last word, that sort of attention to detail costs, and always will.. again how many are you going to bump into at your local coffee stop, that costs too.. some people don't like the common herd...and exclusivity has a price...not justifing this , just seeing it from all angles...will
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

It appears to be missing a few spokes and a pannier rack ;)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
freiston

Post by freiston »

Vorpal wrote:It appears to be missing a few spokes and a pannier rack ;)

Sometimes I wish there was a "like" button. :D
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
scottg

Post by scottg »

Each bike come with team car service for 2 years, for a slight up charge a domestique
can be provided.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Don't care about price, it is what it is and no-one should be called a fool as one poster has already done.

The wheels for the frame don't suit each other IMHO, they're quality wheels just a bit meh looks wise and I think at least 15mm too deep. The finishing scheme is really not to my taste either, I think it cheapens a really top quality frame and is bland, each to their own.
I'd also have carbon bars (they look like alu ones)
BUT if they like it that's all that matters.
Luck on the creak
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

BAUM could be an acronym, what might it signify?

Seems a bit absurd to spend so much on a bike that could be worth nothing if the dog sat on it

What if it were nicked, is it insured under house contents or separately?

Anyone obsessed with lightness should upgrade to fixed, how light would this bike be then?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

freiston wrote:

Sometimes I wish there was a "like" button. :D

There is: "+1"!

The mudguards are transparent too, I bet they cost a months wages alone :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mig

Post by mig »

willcee wrote:Wouldn't think its a BB30, Baum has external cups so its most likely Campag ultra torque..Fools etc I understand, this guy is no fool earns big dollars and afaik is a software consultant ..no more fool than most Porsche BMW and Ferrari owners most of whom can afford their vehicles and couldn't drive a nail in a hard loaf.. will

:D

re. the bike. the main thing is that the owner likes it. i believe that the wheels are a real piece of engineering.
pliptrot

Post by pliptrot »

R2 has a point. Whenever somebody questions the wisdom of spending a lot on a bike (in this case about two months GROSS average UK salary) the defense is always about the talent of the individual and how much said individual makes, blah blah blah. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. What is important here is that this sort of thing drags the price up for all of us, because once the industry realizes that costs and price are rather less related than they should be, then everything gets expensive. Take factory wheels - the biggest bonus to the custom builder as they allowed the price of hand-built wheels to double in just a few years, because-again- the cycling industry realized that there are those out there incapable of critical thinking. If you take leave of your senses like this and spend so much on a simple, low technology machine, what judgement do you use at work, in that highly-paid job? Not sure I'd want to do business with someone who thinks bicycle manufacturers are charity cases.