Is it just us, or do other groups find it difficult to get responses?

Anything relating to the clubs associated with Cycling UK
Fratercula53

Is it just us, or do other groups find it difficult to get responses?

Post by Fratercula53 »

Our cycling club has over 250 members, all of whom have some form of CUK membership.

We've been trying to resolve a matter of real importance for several weeks. If it can be resolved it will bring benefits to our club and CUK itself.

Managers at CUK don't reply to emails, or voice mails. If they do we seem to get conflicting opinions.

To try to resolve the matter we've written to the CEO, and asked for a meeting. This has had no effect.

Do other clubs have similar problems?
Last edited by Fratercula53 on 23 May 2018, 12:18pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Is it just us, or do other groups find it difficult to get responses?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

May one ask what the matter is?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Just look at the motor industry lobby, we need one like that
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 23 May 2018, 7:45pm, edited 1 time in total.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I have always found CTC/CUK useless at replying to e-mails (they just don't do it). I've volunteered help, raised issues of their failing to properly attribute other peoples data they use, anything - never get any response. Waste of time even trying.

Same in the CTC days (when I was a "member").

Your situation does not surprise me atall. It speaks volumes about the management of the organisation.

Ian
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

May one ask what the matter is?

Our club is trying to introduce more people to the joys, fellowship and heath benefits of cycling. By joining us they will also join CUK and therefore we think we have common cause with CUK.
Unfortunately our attempts to discuss ideas for advancing this seem to have been met with an impenetrable obstacle.
PeterT

Post by PeterT »

I was fortunate enough to ride with our club three times as a guest some 3 years ago to see if group riding was suitable for my needs. At that time I believe that CTC allowed insurance for such potential joiners. I didnt want to spend some £25 on joining to find that it wasn't what I wanted. Therefore by allowing me to dip my to in the water so to speak I ultimately joined and now pay my subscriptions to both the club and CTC (now Cycling UK). I am aware of many people who might be interested in joining but are reluctant until they have ridden out a few times with a group. Its not rocket science that both our club (and many others) together with cuk will benefit financially from this. Cycling in general will also benefit. So why are you, the managers of CUK not responding to the requests of its members.
petelucas

Post by petelucas »

Thanks for raising this issue.

If the senior managers of Cycling UK can't be bothered to reply consistently to their own members, it raises serious doubts about their ability to communicate to others outside the organisation.

Wake up Cycling UK and show a little interest in those that keep you in employment!

Pete
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

petelucas wrote:Thanks for raising this issue.

If the senior managers of Cycling UK can't be bothered to reply consistently to their own members, it raises serious doubts about their ability to communicate to others outside the organisation.

Wake up Cycling UK and show a little interest in those that keep you in employment!

Pete

It's been like this for ages. Telling them (again) isn't going to change anything. Needs a new attitude from the top.

Ian
Bug

Post by Bug »

I’ve registered to particularly comment on how important it is for cuk to respond to member clubs and members Particularly where expanding cycling opportunities is involved. Come on cuk - get in touch with Stourbug even if it’s to say nay!!

Ps there are other Cycling membership organisations available....
gaz

Post by gaz »

Fratercula53 wrote:Managers at CUK don't reply to emails, or voice mails. If they do we seem to get conflicting opinions.

To try to resolve the matter we've written to the CEO, and asked for a meeting. This has had no effect.

Might I suggest using the complaints procedure to place your dissatisfaction on a formal level.
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

Might I suggest using the complaints procedure to place your dissatisfaction on a formal level.

I'd like to think that CUK management would leave their door open to members of CUK; particularly when we wish to discuss matters likely to be beneficial to CUK. I can't see how invoking a complaints procedure would be conducive to a good working relationship.
AndyHenderson

Post by AndyHenderson »

I had no problems getting responses to emails until everything went quiet. It turned out that Cycling UK's email system had decided I was a spammer and was (silently) binning my emails. Once that was fixed, normal service resumed.

Andy
mjr

Post by mjr »

Bug wrote:I’ve registered to particularly comment on how important it is for cuk to respond to member clubs and members Particularly where expanding cycling opportunities is involved. Come on cuk - get in touch with Stourbug even if it’s to say nay!!

Ps there are other Cycling membership organisations available....

KLWNBUG had a similar experience. CUK claimed to be keen on having more Cyclenation groups affiliate (thereby being dual-affiliated groups), so I told them why our members had decided against CUK affilliation (the N-rides rule, the bureaucracy and the flat fees for affiliates), I got an email back that pretty much completely ignored those concerns, I persisted and got an email asking me to telephone. However, it transpired that they work basically the times that I work and I'm unwilling to take time off work for what seems a low chance of success (I'm expecting a sales pitch rather than a negotiation) which is why I emailed - why can't CUK use email?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

Lack of response from on high doesn't exactly surprise me, it's the same with loads of organisations and companies.

I assume there is an annual AGM? Timescales may not be the best, but presumably as a member you can raise an issue at the AGM, don't see how they can stop you. Might get some debate and embarrassed faces from on high, especially if a few other folks support you.