Do you love your job?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Do you love your job?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Cunobelin wrote:
iandriver wrote:I love riding my bike, but if I did it 50 hours a week 47 weeks of the year, people might think me a nut job. I'd love work a lot more if it was only 12ish hours a week.

A few years ago there was a PFI project with meetings , on top of the normal work

Best day was spending 4 hours of work and 5 hours paid cycling on a brilliant summers day

Worst was being given a lift and discovering that the detachable pedal for the Brompton was in my colleagues car.. 6 miles home on one pedal

Yet another reason to upgrade to fixed %-)
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

drossall wrote:I've been lucky, in that, in my last weeks as a student, I discovered (from a fellow student on a quite different course) a field of work that combined two of my interests. That has led to other and related things that have kept me going, with the odd hiccup, for over 35 years.

Please tell us more
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Work is a four letter word and as such should be banned,other than for all people who aren't retired like me :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
drossall

Post by drossall »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
drossall wrote:I've been lucky, in that, in my last weeks as a student, I discovered (from a fellow student on a quite different course) a field of work that combined two of my interests. That has led to other and related things that have kept me going, with the odd hiccup, for over 35 years.

Please tell us more

Not sure it's that interesting. At school, I had to make a choice between languages and sciences, and went for the latter, culminating in a physics degree. However, I still though that language was interesting. At Leeds at the time, the (then) Polytechnic had one of the leading library and information schools. Hence it was that I discovered, in a chance conversation, information work (think computerised librarianship if you have no idea what I'm talking about). For me, it's all about the relationship between words and meanings.

That's led to work in a database of science literature, a job training searchers, and then a career in the Internet/Web being not quite as technical as the pure IT guys, but a lot more so than everyone else, and hence spending a lot of time as an interpreter between the two :lol:

For quite a few years, I managed a development team, without ever being a developer myself.

Told you it wasn't that interesting. But it's kept me amused.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Amused, +1

I shall add your autobiography to my want to read list, already waiting for biogs of Vorpal, third crank, Mick F, Paulatic..
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

drossall wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:

Please tell us more

Not sure it's that interesting. At school, I had to make a choice between languages and sciences, and went for the latter, culminating in a physics degree. However, I still though that language was interesting. At Leeds at the time, the (then) Polytechnic had one of the leading library and information schools. Hence it was that I discovered, in a chance conversation, information work (think computerised librarianship if you have no idea what I'm talking about). For me, it's all about the relationship between words and meanings.

That's led to work in a database of science literature, a job training searchers, and then a career in the Internet/Web being not quite as technical as the pure IT guys, but a lot more so than everyone else, and hence spending a lot of time as an interpreter between the two :lol:

For quite a few years, I managed a development team, without ever being a developer myself.

Told you it wasn't that interesting. But it's kept me amused.

My career choices have been random... Radiography was a second choice and after seeing the Rolling Stones the night before the physics practical became my first choice.

Then I went with friends to a Concert in Cambridge, they were seeing the Naval Careers Office, and they explained how doing Radiography in The RN was better financially.... I passed and was fast tracked, so ten days later signed up at hMS Raleigh

Then having qualified, a few years later One of teh Army students was dismissed from teh Nuclear Medicine Course, so I volunteered and qualified.

On leaving th RN, I applied for a job, and as suggested by Resettlement visited and left my CV with the manager... three weeks later I had a phone call saying hR hadlost all the applications, and would I be willing to take a 1 month Locum Contract.

22 years 249 days later I am still there
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Spinners wrote:
pete75 wrote:
What do you mean by TUPE year? Hopefully they haven't told you TUPE only lasts a year as legally it lasts indefinitely.

No, they haven't told me that TUPE only lasts for a year. But I can see them scaling down the workforce at the end of the TUPE year (this wasn't just me, it involved 11 branches and a head office) and I can see the lie of the land.

Just wondered what you meant by TUPE year.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Cunobelin wrote:My career choices have been random... Radiography was a second choice and after seeing the Rolling Stones the night before the physics practical became my first choice.

Then I went with friends to a Concert in Cambridge, they were seeing the Naval Careers Office, and they explained how doing Radiography in The RN was better financially.... I passed and was fast tracked, so ten days later signed up at hMS Raleigh

Then having qualified, a few years later One of teh Army students was dismissed from teh Nuclear Medicine Course, so I volunteered and qualified.

On leaving th RN, I applied for a job, and as suggested by Resettlement visited and left my CV with the manager... three weeks later I had a phone call saying hR hadlost all the applications, and would I be willing to take a 1 month Locum Contract.

Good choice and I bet the quite high salary helps. Have a friend who's just retired from the same job and his NHS pension is high enough to attract 40% tax.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
You have to be very lucky / living in cuckoo land (no idea of what working hard is).

Although some work hard, some well off look to laid back to be grounded for sure.

What is success................
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Thornyone

Post by Thornyone »

pete75 wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:My career choices have been random... Radiography was a second choice and after seeing the Rolling Stones the night before the physics practical became my first choice.

Good choice and I bet the quite high salary helps. Have a friend who's just retired from the same job and his NHS pension is high enough to attract 40% tax.

“...the same job...”. It would depend entirely upon which grade in the job you were employed at. The vast majority of retired NHS workers, whether ex nuclear med or whatever, wouldn’t be in danger of paying 40% tax on their pensions.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Thornyone wrote:
pete75 wrote:

“...the same job...”. It would depend entirely upon which grade in the job you were employed at. The vast majority of retired NHS workers, whether ex nuclear med or whatever, wouldn’t be in danger of paying 40% tax on their pensions.

He was a consultant radiologist. I suspect that after 22 years Cunobelin will also be a consultant. Maybe ancillary workers won't be getting big pensions but almost all medical staff be they hospital based or a GP will get bigish pensions.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

pete75 wrote:
Spinners wrote:
pete75 wrote:
What do you mean by TUPE year? Hopefully they haven't told you TUPE only lasts a year as legally it lasts indefinitely.

No, they haven't told me that TUPE only lasts for a year. But I can see them scaling down the workforce at the end of the TUPE year (this wasn't just me, it involved 11 branches and a head office) and I can see the lie of the land.

They cannot make me redundant in the first 12 months of being transferred. After 12 months they can... but my length of service still counts in several ways.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
JamesE

Post by JamesE »

Audax67 wrote:I have a vast cycling-related program* that has grown over the last 15 years and I add bits all the time**

I'd be interested to know what sort of things this program does. I dabble a tiny bit in coding and could do with a project in order to get better...
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Spinners wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Spinners wrote:

They cannot make me redundant in the first 12 months of being transferred. After 12 months they can... but my length of service still counts in several ways.

Oh so that was a condition of your transfer. Your total length of service counts for redundancy and you will be entitled to the same redundancy terms as with your previous employer. I was TUPE transferred in 2009 and made redundant in March this year. My payout was based on the redundancy terms of my pre 2009 employer. These differed from standard terms in that there was no cap on weekly pay amount and 2 1/4 weeks pay was given for each year of service.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

pete75 wrote:
Thornyone wrote:
pete75 wrote:

He was a consultant radiologist. I suspect that after 22 years Cunobelin will also be a consultant. Maybe ancillary workers won't be getting big pensions but almost all medical staff be they hospital based or a GP will get bigish pensions.

I am not a Consultant ... and neither my present wage, nor pension will attract 40% tax