Drop bar mirror.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
cycleruk

Re: Drop bar mirror.

Post by cycleruk »

LollyKat wrote:
iandriver wrote:
Mick F wrote:Spot on.
I have one on both bikes, and if I had a third bike, I'd buy another.

+1, on all my bikes too.

+1 from me, too. The very best of all was the original Mirrycycle with non aero levers, but the B&M one is the best of the modern ones I've tried. I only have to move my arm a fraction and it has become completely automatic.

Thanks all for the suggestions.
Can the B&M one be seen when on the hoods although I suppose all mirrors on the drops will be the same.

Does anyone recognise the one in this video at 1min' 40 ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mrkfS_u-QM
Looks neat and sticking out like it does may make drivers more cautious. :roll:
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:D :D
That's the movie I'm in!

Can't remember the mirror particularly, but Simon and Trevor and me rode together for quite some miles - from the east side of Bodmin Moor to Okehampton.

I think it's a Zefal.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/mirrors/?brand=zefal
Mick F. Cornwall
slowster

Post by slowster »

cycleruk wrote:Can the B&M one be seen when on the hoods

The short answer is yes.

The long answer is that the swivel ball on the back of the mirror is off centre, and the ball mount socket is also off centre to the plug which goes into the handlebar. This means that by rotating the plug in the handlebar when installing the mirror, it is possible - in conjunction with swivelling it around on the ball mount - to vary somewhat the mirror's position.

In practice I think this means you should have no difficulty getting the mirror just where you want it for your usual riding position, but it's probably the case that in that position the mirror will be obscured by your arm in one or possibly more of the other positions on the bars, e.g. on the drops. However, I think it's then fairly trivial to move your elbow to be able to see the mirror again.

I have the ball mount in the uppermost position, with the mirror then approximately in the 3 o'clock position (and obviously angled for my view). That gives perfect vision on the hoods for me.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

^^^^^
Yes, exactly that.
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I've been using a CatEye BM 300G for years never broken one yet and they're great(I know MickF doesn't like them)but I see they've been discontinued in the CatEye range and replaced with one that looks very similar to the Busch & Muller one:- https://www.cateye.com/intl/products/accessories/BM-45/
The beauty of the BM300G is/was that it folds up when not in use or parked up and simply folds out when you get back on the bike,you also get used to folding it up in such away as not to alter it's setting.
Really like mine :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

According to that link the new Cateye is only 45mm diameter which seems a bit small - the B+M Cyclestar is 60mm and there is also an 80mm version.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

reohn2 wrote:I've been using a CatEye BM 300G for years never broken one yet and they're great(I know MickF doesn't like them)but I see they've been discontinued in the CatEye range and replaced with one that looks very similar to the Busch & Muller one:- https://www.cateye.com/intl/products/accessories/BM-45/
The beauty of the BM300G is/was that it folds up when not in use or parked up and simply folds out when you get back on the bike,you also get used to folding it up in such away as not to alter it's setting.
Hi R2! :D

Mine was fine and a good mirror and like you say, it was foldable and convenient ................... but .............. no matter what I did or fiddled and fettled with, the mirror moved when riding. The knuckle universal join thingy wasn't tight, so whatever position I set it in, it would move by wind power alone.
Mick F. Cornwall
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

Does anyone use the Bike Eye mirror? I bought one a while back but never got round to fitting it and it sounds like I might be better forgetting about it altogether and getting the B&M star as it's getting such good reviews!
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
steve browne

Post by steve browne »

I use one of the old style Mirrycle mirrors on a more modern brake lever. Drilled a hole, counterbored it to seat the mirror support and held it all together with a stainless steel bolt. Rock solid.

P1010526.jpg
freiston

Post by freiston »

That's interesting (especially for a bar-end shifter user). Cheers :)
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

Another vote for the B&M - probably the best accessory I have bought for my bike, and really notice it's not there if I use a bike without one.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote:
reohn2 wrote:I've been using a CatEye BM 300G for years never broken one yet and they're great(I know MickF doesn't like them)but I see they've been discontinued in the CatEye range and replaced with one that looks very similar to the Busch & Muller one:- https://www.cateye.com/intl/products/accessories/BM-45/
Hi R2! :D

Mine was fine and a good mirror and like you say, it was foldable and convenient ................... but .............. no matter what I did or fiddled and fettled with, the mirror moved when riding. The knuckle universal join thingy wasn't tight, so whatever position I set it in, it would move by wind power alone.

Never had that problem and I've had five in service at any one time :?
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

LollyKat wrote:According to that link the new Cateye is only 45mm diameter which seems a bit small - the B+M Cyclestar is 60mm and there is also an 80mm version.

Sorry,I didn't check the details :oops:
W H Auden
hercule

Post by hercule »

I use Mirrycle mirrors on my recumbent trike and they work very well. But since changing the handlebar style on my recumbent bike they have proved a bit difficult to fit and I tried these instead:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

Although a bit heavier than usual bike mirrors, they aren’t that much weightier and give a very good clear image. They detach from the bar end plug and can be clamped directly to the bar... I was thinking of getting another pair to fit the bar end lever bodies on my drop bar bikes. The only criticism I’d have is that they are a bit of a fiddle to position.
hujev

Post by hujev »

Another 'vote' for the Mirrycle - I like brake levers with the cables from the tops and use that version mostly, but the bar-end version is even sturdier and less hassle to install. Of course it precludes use of bar-end shifters.

The one variant I can't find a cure for is my butterfly bars... no 'drop bar' levers, and the bar ends point in! I tried the ortlieb one but the 'stalk' is so flimsy it shakes the mirror too much to get good visibility...