Saddle knowledge

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
robert17

Saddle knowledge

Post by robert17 »

People,

I have ridden a San Marco Rolls for nearly fifteen years, but a rail broke recently and I am now just about over it. Question is I can get a Selle Italia Turbo (similar looking) for half the price of a Rolls, but will it feel the same? Has anyone ridden on both? Any thoughts gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Robert.
peetee

Re: Saddle knowledge

Post by peetee »

I have. They are very similar but I found the turbo a bit flatter side to side. The new turbo saddle is different again, a bit softer all over.
Rolls do crop up second hand and as my bike collection has increased I have fitted rolls on most of them including my MTB and static trainer.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
robert17

Post by robert17 »

I have however discovered that there are standard and leather '1980' variants. The leather version is pretty much the cost of a Rolls.
Thornyone

Post by Thornyone »

Both rails of my San Marco Rolls broke a couple of years ago after only 3+ years of use (maybe 20,000 miles). Never had this issue with any other saddle (Selle Royal or Selle Italia). I didn’t find it especially comfortable either. Now using Specialized Avatar Comp and find the less “domed” shape more comfy.
Last edited by Thornyone on 3 Jun 2018, 5:56pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thornyone

Post by Thornyone »

Now using on two different bikes
Last edited by Thornyone on 3 Jun 2018, 5:55pm, edited 1 time in total.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

robert17 wrote:People,

I have ridden a San Marco Rolls for nearly fifteen years, but a rail broke recently and I am now just about over it. Question is I can get a Selle Italia Turbo (similar looking) for half the price of a Rolls, but will it feel the same? Has anyone ridden on both? Any thoughts gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Robert.

Yes I've ridden both and prefer the Turbo.
They are the same shape but the better saddle is the 90's Turbomatic 2 or 3,they come up on Ebay s/hand on a regular basis for around £30 or less.Rolls rails are made of cheese (I've broken a few) Turbomatic rails are much better quality CroMo IME.The nose isn't as harsh on the Turbomatic 2 either
This looks a good one :- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SELLE-ITALIA ... SwhTBa4CQ~
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
robert17

Post by robert17 »

Many thanks. Somewhat different, anyone tried Spa Wharfe or Wharfe Deluxe?
Pneumant

Post by Pneumant »

I have a real affection for these 1980's saddles. Good full design, comfortable and easy to move around on. I have Rolls & Turbo saddles fitted to four of my fleet. As mentioned the Rolls has weak saddle rails which can bend or break (I have experienced both). Rolls saddles used to be good value so the rail issue could be forgiven. No such issues on the Turbo. Still the Rolls saddle is a lovely thing -the brass like plate on the back of the saddle is very classy!

I have tried a Turbomatic 2 & did not like it at all (uncomfortable), same reaction to the 1990's Rolls successor known as the Rolls 'Due' model.

I have a Charge Bucket saddle fitted to another bike which is a cheap to buy Turbo copy - not bad at all but cheaper made & it shows.
Another excellent saddle worth considering is the Selle Italia Oktavia which is sadly becoming hard to find.

I keep meaning to try a San Marco Regal saddle as these also have a good reputation.
Thornyone

Post by Thornyone »

Pneumant wrote: Rolls saddles used to be good value so the rail issue could be forgiven. No such issues on the Turbo. Still the Rolls saddle is a lovely thing -the brass like plate on the back of the saddle is very classy!

Admittedly mine did look quite nice when new but I could not forgive it for snapping on me 10 miles from home, and wouldn’t touch one again with a bargepole. What if one snapped 30+ miles from home or worse?