LEJOG presentation - anyone done one?

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
dgibby

LEJOG presentation - anyone done one?

Post by dgibby »

Oo-er.... I've been asked to do a talk for a local group (of non-cyclists) about my LEJOG that I completed last year. Talk plus slideshow plus questions etc needs to last about an hour. Anyone done such a thing? Would be handy to know other people's experiences.... Thinking of doing a couple of slides on stats about LEJOG, JOGLE like fastest time, most unusual method etc. Any suggestions and help greatly appreciated! Thanks
vernon

Re: LEJOG presentation - anyone done one?

Post by vernon »

dgibby wrote:Oo-er.... I've been asked to do a talk for a local group (of non-cyclists) about my LEJOG that I completed last year. Talk plus slideshow plus questions etc needs to last about an hour. Anyone done such a thing? Would be handy to know other people's experiences.... Thinking of doing a couple of slides on stats about LEJOG, JOGLE like fastest time, most unusual method etc. Any suggestions and help greatly appreciated! Thanks

Unless you have a lot of pictures and other visuals, I think that you will find an hour quite a long time. I manage hour long blocks of time five times a day as a teacher and have done LEJOG presentations in half an hour or less - stretching it out for longer would have been an act of cruelty to an audience quickly heading towards terminal boredom try not to talk for more than five minutes at a time there's a lot of information that you might want to deliver but the audience might lose interest if the talking goes on for too long or they are inundated with information. Adults are too polite to fidget too much but their attention span isn't much better than pupils.

Have a quick look at how not to do a presentation:
http://www.davidairey.com/how-not-to-use-powerpoint/

Things that you can cover:

History of LEJOG and ownership of the extremities where JOG got it's name from.

Planning activities.

Equipment

Daily rituals

Pleasant surprises

Nasty surprises

Accommodation

Economics of trip.

Logistics of getting to and from start/end

Route variations

Nutrition

FAQ

HTH

Vernon
Manx Cat

Post by Manx Cat »

I think this is a brilliant idea! WIsh I could come along and see it.

Not much more to add over what has been said already. I think that the hour is a bit long as well. Especially as your audience are not cyclists.

Maybe suggest ways folks and think of getting out on their bikes - we all had to start somewhere.

Wish you all the very best. Do keep us updated.

Oh another tip.... make sure you know your audience as much as possible and direct your talk towards them.

Mary
dgibby

Post by dgibby »

Thanks for tips so far.
Agree that the hour slot I have been given sounds a lot but I've been told that includes some coffee and biscuits for the crowd etc too :D
Will be taking my bike with all the kit fully loaded in the panniers to show them what I had for the 2 week solo and unsupported ride so that'll take up some of the time as people will try and lift it etc!
Have got lots of photos and film from the trip too that I'll be putting into the presentation which will pan it out.
Have done other tours also which I'll prob throw into it as well and I also raised £4,500 for charity doing LEJOG so will do a little bit on that. I am actually looking forward to it already!
What I am looking for though if someone has done a write up on the history of LEJOG by bike? (first person, fastest, weirdest etc)
vernon

Post by vernon »

dgibby wrote:What I am looking for though if someone has done a write up on the history of LEJOG by bike? (first person, fastest, weirdest etc)

I'm sure that there's some sort of publication in existence. Have a quick Google and I'm sure it'll turn up.
mattovers93

Post by mattovers93 »

I completed Lejog last August with my Dad (on tourers), and have recently compiled a presentation for the local cycle club dinner.
The contents I used was;
1 - Planning (time constraints, route length, points of interest, direction (N-S/S-N), Accomodation, Kit List, Training, Nutrition
2 - Slide of each day (start/finish), strava screenshot, photos, bits of info i.e. sights we saw
3 - Lessons learnt (personal experience)
4 - Advice (generic advice not necessary as personal as point 3)

The main point of it is to offer advice to others that may be thinking of doing the same route or a bike tour (plus its a bit of a bragging opportunity)

Hope this helps :)
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I seem to have an insatiable appetite for hearing and reading of E2E accounts.
For me the very boring bits are kit, training, and nutrition I think we build those with our own experiences and abilities and resources. I’ve little interest in your tool ki5 and I doubt what works for the narrator will be ideal for the listener.
The interesting bits are people and experiences along the route and individuals interpretation of what they see and encounter along the route. Hardships, fears, disasters and overcoming them. :)
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I did a few talks to older people's groups,

One memorable one happened to have a older lady with memory issues whose daughter had ridden lejog X2

She regularly interrupted the talk with MY DAUGHTER RODE THIS RIDE TWICE!!! I felt well and truly put in my place, the said daughter returned asked how she had been..fine I replied!!

Cheers James
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

The original post was 2008. Assume talk has taken place.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.