Huddersfield Narrow Canal Greenfield to Guide Bridge - Local knowledge please

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
freeflow

Huddersfield Narrow Canal Greenfield to Guide Bridge - Local knowledge please

Post by freeflow »

Ridewithgps lets me draw the route. Googling gets information that it was OK but 2014 is the most recent information I've found. Does anyone have any more recent information on any problems with ridability.

Its the last stage of a 50 mile loop which will see me follow cycleroute 62 from Denton to Hadfield and then up Kinder loop before turn off to do a loop over Holme Moss before returning over Saddleworth Moor to Greenfield.

I have a spare day when visiting my Dad for his 90th birthday and wanted something a bit more interesting than a road loop starting and stopping in Stalybridge.

I'll be riding 700C 35C Vittoria Hypers or 650b 42c Continental Tour depending on weather and advice.

Thanks in advance.
JohnI

Re: Huddersfield Narrow Canal Greenfield to Guide Bridge - Local knowledge please

Post by JohnI »

I've done bits of this around Greenfield and Uppermill (which is where I'm from originally). I think it should all be a reasonable gravel surface. You can also use part of the Pennine Bridleway from Greenfield to Mossley which is a disused railway line and also gravel, but it's wider and probably has fewer obtacles in the form of locks and road crossings. The canal is nice, but personally I wouldn't choose to cycle any distance on the towpath unless I was out for a family ride or something. Also the section around Stalybridge and Ashton looks a bit fiddly.
delilah

Re: Huddersfield Narrow Canal Greenfield to Guide Bridge - Local knowledge please

Post by delilah »

Yes no problems and quiet scenic. Your route would be Greenfield, Mosley, Stalybridge, Ashton, Portland Basin, Guide Bridge.