Muzak in (food) stores, at stations etc: love or hate?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Do you love muzak?

Yes, I hum along and buy more
No votes
Yes, but I don't really notice it
4%
What is muzak?
8%
No, dislike it if I'm tired or its too loud
38%
No, I hate it, I leave the store ASAP
31%
Classical music in a bookshop, +1!
19%

Total votes: 26

reohn2

Re: Muzak in (food) stores, at stations etc: love or hate?

Post by reohn2 »

Can't be doing with it,it seems to pervade every shop and cafe I go in :evil:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

thirdcrank wrote:I'd not want to give the impression of being a boozer because I'm not. We do enjoy a pub lunch and we are in the fortunate position of being able to afford to treat ourselves. It's my impression that people divide into two groups, the first who don't notice music and the second, those who don't like it. I base this observation on the number of people we know who will recommend somewhere they've enjoyed but when asked about music didn't notice.

My employer once took me to lunch in a pub somewhere in the Three Counties
I found a tea-bag in my lasagne
Someone told me it might have been a bouquet garni
What is a bg, did it have any business being there?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Cyril Haearn wrote:My employer once took me to lunch in a pub somewhere in the Three Counties

Could've been. A bouquet garni is a little bag or bundle of dried herbs immersed in a stew or sauce to infuse it with some flavour, which should then be removed and discarded before the dish is served. Could be mistaken for a teabag I suppose.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

There's the makings of a Curate's Egg cartoon in there somewhere
(I've unsuccessfully tried to attach a copy of the original cartoon. :( )
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Hamburg Hauptbahnhof is a big train station rather like a London terminus

In order to deter a certain type of people from loitering by the tube access music was played there
Classical music, +1! I took to loitering in the area when I had the chance instead of hurrying to catch the next train (there are plenty of trains)

Still hoping that some muzak-lovers will cast their votes, 100% against, can that be right? :?
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

thirdcrank wrote:There's the makings of a Curate's Egg cartoon in there somewhere
(I've unsuccessfully tried to attach a copy of the original cartoon. :( )

Here is the original 'curate's egg':
(Not sure what you're referring to, but help yourself!)
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

661-Pete wrote: ... (Not sure what you're referring to, but help yourself!)

"I'm afraid you have got a tea bag in your lasagne"

"Oh, no! it's bucket garden ............................!"

:oops:
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

The curate is as misunderstood as Canute. The Curate's Egg is these days used to describe anything that is good in parts. This misses the joke entirely, which is that an egg cannot be good in parts.

(...and in the story about Canute, he wasn't trying to stop the tide. He was demonstrating that he could not.)

Anyway.
Diner - What's this teabag doing in my lasagne?
Waiter - The cha-cha-cha.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

It may be a bit unseasonal to say this at this time, but for us the 'worst' time is approaching Xmas...

There's a particular depth of inanity in those endless, full volumed, piped 'carols' (it that's what they are) blasted through the aisles at Tesco's et al as the festive season draws near.

So - a few years ago Mrs P wrote in to Tesco's and complained. All we wanted, to be fair, was a designated 'muzak-free' day once or twice a week, so that we could organise our shopping accordingly.

To my surprise, the reply that Tesco sent is still there among our E-mail folders. This is what they sent:
I'm sorry to hear that you find the festive music we play in our stores during Christmas irritating. I'd like to assure you that it not our intention to deter customers from shopping with us, but rather spread cheer.
To ensure that your complaint is acknowledged and taken into consideration at the need feedback review, I have logged this under reference number: 18037246.
A load of waffle, assuredly - but we have noticed that the volume and frequency of the piped music in our local Tesco's has diminished somewhat in more recent years. Perhaps others complained? Did someone take notice I wonder?

Perhaps this is the thing to do. Write in to the organisation's Head Office and politely complain...
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Sorry folks. A joke's not funny if it has to be explained. :oops:

To spell it out, I was alluding to this:-

Hi was hequatin' the hemployer wiv the bishop. Hand FWIW, Hi'd like to fink I hunderstood the horiginal hand Canute has well, if hi may umbly say. :(
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

bovlomov wrote:The curate is as misunderstood as Canute. The Curate's Egg is these days used to describe anything that is good in parts. This misses the joke entirely, which is that an egg cannot be good in parts.

The original Curate's egg 'joke' was merely that the curate was too modest to directly complain at the Bishop's tea-table, hence he made up this euphemistic description of his manifestly uneatable egg. Yes, perhaps the quote is too often misunderstood nowadays.

Another famous example is "Up to a point, Lord Copper" in Evelyn Waugh's novel Scoop - because Lord Copper is so formidable a boss that no-one ever dares to contradict anything he says, however false.
Thornyone

Post by Thornyone »

661-Pete wrote:It may be a bit unseasonal to say this at this time, but for us the 'worst' time is approaching Xmas...

There's a particular depth of inanity in those endless, full volumed, piped 'carols' (it that's what they are) blasted through the aisles at Tesco's et al as the festive season draws near.

Yes, and I think the worst is that thing that goes something like “wish it was Christmas every day”. My goodwill dissipates rapidly on exposure to that. :(
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

661-Pete wrote:It may be a bit unseasonal to say this at this time, but for us the 'worst' time is approaching Xmas...

That's anytime now. :roll:
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

thirdcrank wrote:Sorry folks. A joke's not funny if it has to be explained. :oops:
Hand FWIW, Hi'd like to fink I hunderstood the horiginal hand Canute has well, if hi may umbly say. :(

Further apologies for further 'killing' of the said jokes in my above post. :oops:

To make up for it, please enjoy this 'Hamlet' classic from the 1970s. Of course, it illustrates exactly what Canute was not trying to do. But funny all the same!
[youtube]hDg1ojkzfJk[/youtube]
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

thirdcrank wrote:Sorry folks. A joke's not funny if it has to be explained. :oops:

To spell it out, I was alluding to this:-

Hi was hequatin' the hemployer wiv the bishop. Hand FWIW, Hi'd like to fink I hunderstood the horiginal hand Canute has well, if hi may umbly say. :(

Could one use a bouquet garni to make tea, how would it taste? :wink:
Fact is, the stores pay a lot of good money (provided by us!) for speakers and muzak, they must believe it makes people buy more
Maybe we are all abnormal, most of us belong to those who think too much :?