Do you love your job?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cunobelin

Re: Do you love your job?

Post by Cunobelin »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Can feel a poll coming on.. How many jobs have you had?

I have had too many, more than 20, but I have learned such a lot and done some interesting things
Some people stay with one employer for decades but do many different jobs, learn and grow

Dreaming at work today about an ideal job.. maybe as a delivery person in Bergen Norway with an e-bike that charges the battery going down the hills. Then I would have more free time for non-cycling activities :wink:

Depends on what is a job....

I have worked as a Prison Officer, a Fireman, Search and Rescue, Mountain Leader, First Aid instructor, Hazmat Instructor, University Lecturer, but none have actually been a "Job"
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

One job I would not like to do for all the parsnips in Wales: restaurant critic!

The Grauniad reports how a cassoulet is made, it takes 24h
If there are not enough orders, it is thrown away*

Should we boycott restaurants? I do already

* or maybe it is kept for later, or the staff have to eat it
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Vorpal wrote:The job I've had that I enjoyed the most was teaching Bikeability. It had it's ups and downs, like any job, but at least I was outside and on my bike.

It didn't pay well enough for a living, though.

That's the point I tried to make on another post.....................if you pay people especially like "Bikeability" then it has to be real wage................but it appears that jobs are carefully marketed to sound good and also you have to be responsible to do the job but FREELANCE is for tax dodgers working in public owned company's.
I worked for myself after being disillusioned by large companies...........like others here you work long hours and little reward.
You would have to work for yourself to understand that hard work never pays.............................only if you have a contract....a self employed person, not a contract holder etc, has to be paid at least 60 % more than an employed person if you want to stay sane.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
al_yrpal wrote:I loved my job as a design engineer. I loved seeing what I put on paper turned into reality and doing the job it was intended to do. I loved the fact that my designs were out there in the public domain and seeing thousands of people using them and enjoying the benefits that they provided. I got a great feeling seeing my stuff in use all over the world contributing to the UK economy as valuable exports. Engineers are generally not well paid and seldom appreciated but the job satisfaction can be tops. In retirement I still design things and then make them. It still gives me immense satisfaction.

Al

I still make and design things today mostly on the hoof, mainly for myself, dream job for me would be large barn with a caravan on an island :)
Your right design eng does not pay only if you design the next ugly highest in the world.
You get used........your work is stolen as their own.......past over and shoved around, probably because those who want to design do not fall to underhand behaviour...........................
durhambiker

Post by durhambiker »

I am self employed.Would not say I love my job but having done factory work etc and been sick of my life with it,I am very content and the main thing for me being a happy husband instead of a moaning whinging git on a night
softlips

Post by softlips »

Yes, I love it and it’s very worthwhile.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The Austrian regime is discussing de-forms of working time rules, up to 12 hours a day
Whether workers should give a reason if they want to go home after 10 hours was discussed
Just yesterday someone was telling me what a nice time they had in that rather German country :wink: * On holiday, mind

* the language is German at least
Username

Post by Username »

Cyril Haearn wrote:If there is one thing I hate and love it is work

I was unemployed for a while, it was awful, did not know what to do with myself

One reads about people who love their work and believe in it. I was lucky, had several jobs I could identify with, in a cycle shop, selling books, on a steam railway..

Anyone here really identify with their work, believe in it, have a passion (unword!)?

I work in a warehouse as a FLT driver among other things. Not exactly my idea of fun. I mean a forklift or a Ferrari? I'd rather be that fat git hooning about in cars. At least I'm not on minimum wage.

[Inappropriateterm removed
] after month I either get rejected, or offered min wage. Neither are acceptable to me.

When you say you worked in a cycle shop, do you mean as a mechanic? I'd love to do that myself. How do did you even get your foot in the door?
pwa

Post by pwa »

Username wrote:

One reads about people who love their work and believe in it. I was lucky, had several jobs I could identify with, in a cycle shop, selling books, on a steam railway..

Anyone here really identify with their work, believe in it, have a passion (unword!)?

I work in a warehouse as a FLT driver among other things. Not exactly my idea of fun. I mean a forklift or a Ferrari? I'd rather be that fat git hooning about in cars. At least I'm not on minimum wage.

When you say you worked in a cycle shop, do you mean as a mechanic? I'd love to do that myself. How do did you even get your foot in the door?

I was offered an interview with Halfords which would have led to me being trained as a mechanic. Minimum wage and lots of pressure to get stuff done quick, possibly too quick. I ducked out of that.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Username wrote:

[Inappropriateterm removed
] after month I either get rejected, or offered min wage. Neither are acceptable to me.

I was selling cycles from October to Christmas, we sold hundreds, took deposits and and stored the machines upstairs
A few days before Christmas the deposits were paid and all the cycles collected
I was only there a few months, there are others on here who have worked in the trade many years
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
My father was a vehicle mechanic / inspector in WW2.
I did a mechanical engineering apprenticeship.
Worked for myself on motorbikes for ten years.
I have done ALL my own bike and motor vehicle mechanics for some 45 years, including pre MOT..I take the vehicle once it passes, I have a 99.5% pass rate over 35 years I have been driving cars, own 2-3 cars a year over 35 years, never owned a new car.
Self taught too.
Self taught in CAD, (Autodesk) "Inventor" 3D program, china had just bought 5000 seats in "Inventor", Xmas completion, open to all of world (Not formal but fun) I was one of less than ten who attempted and finished correctly.......................

I applied for a Halfords job several times never got a look in.

like most big firms like sainsburys etc its a closed shop.

Interviews has always been smoke and mirrors I.M.O.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Username wrote:[Inappropriateterm removed[/i]] after month I either get rejected, or offered min wage. Neither are acceptable to me.

The mechanics I know both got Cytech certified whilst doing other jobs (one was a delivery driver). One of them knew some folks who ran a bike shop and when their mechanic moved on, he got the job. The other one did stuff like Dr. Bike sessions, and volunteering for a local racing club to build experience, network, and reputation. He was teaching Bikeability, so his time for such things was perhaps a little more flexible than many people's, but alot of the stuff he did was on weekends. He eventually landed a job working for a shop that sponsored another local racing team. The rumour was that their mechanic didn't turn up for a race, & he helped them out (I never verified this). In both cases, it took a couple of years of development work before they landed jobs.

I also met someone who got a job working at community bike hub. He started by volunteering, but also put alot of work into growing it as an organisation, so he was one of the first to be hired when it made enough money to have paid staff. That one was years in the development, though, and likely the equivalent of a full time unpaid job leading up to it.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Spinners wrote:No. I hate it. Or more correctly, I hate my 'new' employer.

Everything was fine and dandy for 16 years until I was TUPE'd over to my new employer following a merger. My previous role simply doesn't exist in the company I've been transferred over to so I've been re-roled into the nearest equivalent (fair enough, it has about 50% commonality) but I feel decidedly persona non grata. At the end of the TUPE year (also the end of 2018) I'll gladly take redundancy if it's offered but I may not make it until then as I'm cheesed off and I'm now actively looking around.

I was always going to retire at 60 but might now bring it forward by two-and-a-half years or go part-time and semi-retire. There's a lot of options out there!

Sorry to quote my own post but I have an update on my situation!

After a few more miserable weeks at work, thoroughly hating my new sales role, I started a dialogue with my line manager about taking voluntary redundancy and the upshot is that I'm finishing at the end of the month! Gulp!

Actually, I'm not in the slightest way worried. Indeed, the only stress I've had since making the decision to go was replacing my company iPhone with a £14 Nokia. The severance package is more than fair and will easily last me a full year. As a company car driver they've even compensated me for 'loss of benefit' so my LBS will be seeing me real soon! Mrs. Spinners has been totally supportive and it's such a relief to be out of that particular rat race. I feel I'm in control now and have the options of getting a full-time job, a part-time job, a temporary job or even starting pension draw down at the age of 58 next August (I was aiming for 60 but hey-ho). However, a part-time job is my preferred option, especially if it involves a normal start time as I do like the routine of getting up and out on a morning and have already submitted my first job application for such a part-time job.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Plus One, let us know how you get on, you can change the reference to pigdogs in your profile :wink:
May I ask what your profile picture is?
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

My job is being retired, which I love. I doubly love still being young enough to enjoy it.

I do a bit of work as an MTB instructor, mostly unpaid as most of my customers now are charities and I'm happy for them just to cover expenses.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.