Chainring change

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
PAB855

Chainring change

Post by PAB855 »

I have a 1982 road bike but am no longer able to use the big ring and don't have low enough gearing for modest hills using the inner ring and bottom gear
Is it possible to change from a 52, 42 to something like a 42, 32 or 34.

I realise the 5 point fixings PCD is 150mm(?) and that's about the same as the tooth PCD of the 34t ring, but I have been told each of the five arms can have a short distance piece attached to accommodate the PCDof the 34t ring by lying radially inwards towards the centre of rotation to reach the 34t fixings.

Have I been told 'porkies'? I find it difficult to see how it can be done because of the shape of the shoulder used for the location and support of the chainrings as the five arms of the crank have a piece extending inwards below the location shoulder .

Any glimmer of hope for a solution?

Cheers
rmurphy195

Re: Chainring change

Post by rmurphy195 »

Your bike probably has a square-taper bottom bracket (the cranks mount onto a square spindle!).

If you can't get replacement rings of the correct PCD, maybe have a look at Spa Cycles website for a complete crankset? I deduce from your post that its a twin chainring setup, so this might be a good starting point https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s109p31 ... chainrings

Having said that, if you explore thier website you'll find chainsets and chainrings, and maybe if you email them the details of your current chainset (make, current no.of rings etc) they might be able to make a recommendation.

And of course you could also look into replacing the rear sprockets with bigger ones!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
rjb

Post by rjb »

I think you are looking for a double to triple chainring adaptor which uses an inner double to mount a 3rd ring like this one.
They were made by the likes of stronglight and ta. I dont know how available they are now. Probably like hens teeth and cheaper to just replace the chainset.

What are using at present? What is the pcd. Can your front mech cope with a small inner ring?
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
PAB855

Post by PAB855 »

Thanks both of you

Firstly, Spa give plenty of choice. I think a 48/34 would do fine.

The upper jockey wheel is already close to the sprockets so changing the rear end doesn't look possible.

The photo of the adaptor looks as if it's what was described to me.

I'm further forward anyway.

Cheers
PAB855

Post by PAB855 »

Order placed with Spa Cycles for a 48, 34.

Many thanks to all
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

rjb wrote:I think you are looking for a double to triple chainring adaptor which uses an inner double to mount a 3rd ring like this one.
They were made by the likes of stronglight and ta. I dont know how available they are now. Probably like hens teeth and cheaper to just replace the chainset.

Stronglight Z'lite Impact like I have on Moulton.

http://www.stronglight.com/stronglight/ ... uit?id=276
The middle ring fits on the "double" spider and has holes in it to fit the inner.
Mick F. Cornwall
Keezx

Post by Keezx »

The special chainrings are also called "triplelizer" and can still be found at small shops and Ebay.
Couple of years ago I bought one for my Campagnolo Chorus carbon double chainset (square taper) with 39 T and 74 BCD holes and it works perfectly despite the missing shifting aids.
74 BCD offers the possibility for a 24 or 26 T grannyring
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

PAB855 wrote:Order placed with Spa Cycles for a 48, 34.

Many thanks to all

Let us know how you get on. PS You might have to shorten your chain, of course!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
PAB855

Post by PAB855 »

Yes, all changed over after removing four links. The rear mech is at about its limit, but it all works fine in my garage.
Tomorrow is test day. Fingers crossed.

Cheers
PAB855

Post by PAB855 »

Belated update.

The bike went like a dream at the recent Velo Retro based in Ulverston over the weekend of 13 to 15 July. We did the 30mile ride and only had to walk up the last 100yards of the last hill which was ok for us.

The whole event was fantastic, one of the most enjoyable events I have ever taken part in.

I love this old bike, it's one of the best I've ever had and it had been hidden away for 30 years in a garage, so I count myself as extremely lucky to be its current owner.

Thanks for your tips.

Cheers
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

I fitted a Stronglight crankset with 46/34 rings on my 1978 Falcon. So much easier than the 52/42 or even 39.