Another bad train company

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mercalia

Another bad train company

Post by mercalia »

East Midlands

"We are unable to process bicycle reservations through our website.
However, one of our support team can process these requests over the phone by calling 0370 333 4875.
Although bicycle reservations can be made after booking online, we recommend making your booking and bicycle reservation together through our call centre so we can confirm whether bicycle spaces are available on the train you wish to travel on.
Your bicycle will be stored in the guards van, so please give yourself enough time to locate it and load your bicycle before the train is scheduled to depart."

dont think so, pass on your company I think

http://eastmidlandstrains.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2875

oh I found this general info sheet about cycling and trains

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1oPidkT5wc9WwnO1nyrJFfGdv-6gEMNu3
Last edited by mercalia on 9 Jun 2018, 2:16pm, edited 1 time in total.
mercalia

Re: Another bad train company

Post by mercalia »

just queried them and this is their response

"I would like to inform you that cycle reservation is subject to availability we always inform are customer to reserve the cycle space in advance. I would suggest you that you can make reservation of cycle space at local station also at day of travel but before that you have to check for the availability.

I would request you to kindly help us with the below journey details in order to check the space "

so it seems, putting aside their literacy issues, we have to contact them before booking a cycle space at a station. so there is no way of getting out of phoning them?
PH

Post by PH »

I booked an EMT journey last week, through GWS where there was no problem booking the bike at the same time. EMT attitude demonstrates the lack of will rather than any technical difficulty, they're also wrong about the bikes travelling in a guards van, this might be the case on some routes, certainly not on the one I was on.
furbo

Post by furbo »

Not so bad actually, just complicated as is the norm with train companies.
I have used EM regularly to travel between Norwich and Manchester, 2 bike spaces per 2 coach train.
If you book online then you have to phone or email to reserve the bike spaces, you may then be randomly allocated a seat in the carriage away from your bike.
The way to get round this is to find the train you want online and then book it in the local booking office in person, they have access to the booking computer and can issue you bike spaces on the spot. I use Greater Anglia in Norwich as it is local, it doesn't seem to matter which railway company you use. It's good to have a number of train time options in case the spaces are already booked.
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

+1 for using the GWR web site which enables bike booking at the same time as ticket booking.

I see furbo says that it is 2 bike spaces per 2 coach train. Can someone tell me how this is organised please. I recently travelled to and from Sheffield by Cross Country trains but will not be doing so in the future having stood from Sheffield to Winchester on the return journey.

I was proposing to travel via London in the future but was interested on what the cycle provision is on the East Midlands trains. eg do you have to hang them from a hook, do panniers have to be removed etc. Any information would be helpful. Thanks.
PH

Post by PH »

brianleach wrote:I was proposing to travel via London in the future but was interested on what the cycle provision is on the East Midlands trains. eg do you have to hang them from a hook, do panniers have to be removed etc. Any information would be helpful. Thanks.

There are different trains on different routes, the one I most commonly use is the London > Edinburgh which I board in Derby heading in either direction. It's the one you're most likely to use Sheffield > London.
The bike space is at one end on the train, in a compartment with a sliding door accessed from the passenger compartment - the sliding door is almost always open. Bikes stay upright under a shelf, there's probably room for three though Leicester to derby in the morning often has more than that. That compartment can be at either end of the train and don't rely of station staff knowing which. It's at the opposite end to first class and the FC carriage has a yellow bumper, so look out for that as the train approaches and you'll know which way to head.
EDIT
Reminds me there's only room for bikes if the catering staff haven't filled it with their stuff
ImageEMT luggage by Paul, on Flickr

EDIT #2
Bargain buys - Megabus sells tickets on that EMT service. Derby to London is often available for £13, you can't get a train reservation with MB but I've bought a ticket from them and got a free cycle reservation at the station. There's also the option of going via Birmingham, the London Midlands service often have offers and you sit by the bike.
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

Many thanks,that is very helpful.

Brian
PH

Post by PH »

Travelled on the new LNER this morning, at 8am on their first day of operation. I wondered why the spotters were out and gave them a friendly wave.
It was the York to Kings Cross, though I was only travelling York to Doncaster. Loaded the bike in a locked separate compartment, with sheffield type stands and very secure straps, three bikes on with room for at least another two. I was invited to sit in the adjoining first class carriage, otherwise I'd have spent most of the journey walking through the train to 2nd and back again.
Probably no different to yesterday when it was called Virgin, though it's not a route I often use.