e-bike conversions and manufacturers plate, legal question

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
stodd

e-bike conversions and manufacturers plate, legal question

Post by stodd »

Your advice page https://www.cyclinguk.org/cyclists-library/regulations/eapc-regulations says
The vehicle must be fitted with a plate where you can easily read it (in practice often more of a sticker discretely placed on the frame so that you may have to search a little to find it) showing the manufacturer's name and motor power output.

It seems difficult to satisfy this with a conversion kit, even if it does satisfy all the details about power, maximum speed, throttle usage and so on. What is the legal status of an otherwise legal conversion without a plate?
hemo

Re: e-bike conversions and manufacturers plate, legal question

Post by hemo »

I keep within the spirit of the law on all my kit bikes and have sticky back ali trophy plates on the hub, with 3 lines of info.
Example of one.
Bafang Electric (Suzhou) China.
CST 36V 250W (10) 25 KM/H.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx EN15194.

The xxxxxxxx is the hub serial number.

This the ebay item I use, for a professional plate use Silver Square corners and 70 x 16 size all for £1.08.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SALE-Sports- ... 1438.l2649
stodd

Post by stodd »

Thank you, that sounds sensible. It may or may not change the strict legal requirements, but it could well placate an over-zealous policeman.
willcee

Post by willcee »

Hemo . yes, thx, got one for my machine, very good outfit with fast service.. at least it may likely desist anyone delving down below the motor amongst the cow muck and dust to try and read Bafangs Hieroglyphics.. will
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Hemo - thanks for that link, have converted four bikes, and was wondering about this. As you say, just to conform to the spirit of the law, I think I will do the same.
Coincidentally, I've also carried out a couple of van conversions, so I think, just for fun, I will do something for these as well
(Mechanic questioned provenance of conversion when being serviced!)
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity