MTB for 23 stone man wanting to get some exercise and lose weight

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Finguz

MTB for 23 stone man wanting to get some exercise and lose weight

Post by Finguz »

As per the thread title, I'm looking for some recommendations for a mountain bike that will support my weight long enough for me to lose it ( the weight, not the bike 8) ).

I had an aluminium framed 'Ideal' mountain bike previously, and that seemed pretty durable, but I was at least 10 stone lighter then.

All recommendations will be gratefully received.

Budget is up to £500, but can go higher if necessary.
hamster

Re: MTB for 23 stone man wanting to get some exercise and lose weight

Post by hamster »

Most will do. I would suggest wheels with 36 spokes though. You will probably find that suspension will sag too much and that stiff-enough springs are not available. I would go for rigid forks as a result. Do not go for anything with rear suspension - for anyone £1000 is a minimum for a full-susser. I would not be concerned about frame material, steel or aluminium would both be fine, although I would seriously consider aluminium - the frames tend to be over-stiff for many, you will probably appreciate it.

Go to it, enjoy your riding and have fun!
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Finguz wrote: that will support my weight long enough for me to lose it .

Aside from the comment above, I wouldn't be too concerned about whether a bike can carry your weight. I'd be fairly confident that even a £100 mtb cheap bike from Halfords or similar would carry your weight without an issue.

I used a light weight road (Racing) type bike for several years carrying my weight & a full load of luggage daily for several years without an issue. The combined weight may have been up to 17-18 stone at times (Up to 5 stone of that being luggage), without an issue (Nb. As wheels wore out, I did replace them with heavier 32/36 spoke wheels).
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

I've ridden loaded at circa 125kg-130kg on a fairly lightweight part carbon part alu hubrid frame and then took a 65kg person on the bike from their work to home. Didn't do it often but it was no bother at all and bike is still in daily use 6 years on. I also used 32 spoke racing wheeks, open pro on Ultegra so if you go with a pair of solid 36 spoke wheels you can't go wrong at all, no need to think anything further.

My opinion, buy yourself a decent spec second user specialized sirrus/trek fx/marin hybrid, you certainly don't want suspension and any of those bikes can allow you a decently wide tyre
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Welcome to the forum

Loads of useful stuff on here from a rider who started his cycling several stones heavier.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=15164&p=118451#p118451
Thornyone

Post by Thornyone »

No-one seems to have specifically mentioned saddles here. I am about a stone and a bit more than half your weight and had a San Marco Rolls saddle (the rails) snap on me. Not very pleasant. So I think that some advice on saddle choice might be useful.
Good luck anyhow. I think that cycling is about the best way to lose weight.
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

Get one of these

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/vitus-nucleus-2 ... 8-ht-bike/

The XCR Air fork (not coil!) has a maximum pressure of 180psi. For your weight 140-150psi should be about right.

I've broken a wheel while carrying around 150kg, so that is an issue but simplest thing is probably just not to worry about it and replace when it breaks.
Alan O

Post by Alan O »

Echoing what others have suggested, I'd also suggest a fully rigid non-suspension bike, with high spoke count and room to take wider tyres. The famous auction site often has good make bikes in very good condition and looking like they've had little use, for low money. Often they've been very expensive bikes that have been ridden a little until the novelty wears off and then stuck in the shed. If you went that route, you'd save a bit of money towards a brand new modern one when you've lost a chunk of that weight :wink:
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Pick up a 1990s steel framed MTB in decent nick for£100 or so, ride, lose weight, and then reward yourself with a nice bike :D

Seriously, a 1990s rigid MTB will be perfect for the job.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

speaking as a fat child who cycled himself fit in the 80s and again in the 90s -

I agree, get a second hand bike then you can adapt it to what you find you like. something like an old marin bear valley would work a treat IMO. some big slick tyres and enough hand positions.

you need a motive to get out there though and actually put the miles in but basic fitness to begin with is often the hardest to get right. commuting gives you the need to get there but is not enjoyable unless you take the time to meander on the way home when there is no pressure to be on time. panniers to go shopping on the way home gives you the extra exercise and also you think more about what you buy when you haven't got a big boot to carry it home in.

find a flat-ish local circuit and start doing reps of say 20 loops to get the muscle development going, do it at night if you want when the roads are quiet and the air is cooler. get a radio or audiobook going so you don't go stir crazy. get the train out somewhere and cycle back home - 20 miles or so, enough to push you a little bit then go further a field or pick a place to cycle to and cycle back again. long weekends or time off is a good time to get this going with morning afternoon and night runs - I used to go round our block 20 times every go which was probably 10k or so, 4 times a day every day during the school holidays then I'd go out for a ride somewhere. you don't need energy drinks, gels or tablets. straight water or simple squash. cadence not power is the key to what you want and letting your body recover on its own

the hardest part about getting fit I found was the breathing and gasping, you have to understand when you hit the aerobic levels in your legs and how to control the burn that gives you the runners high. as you get fitter you don't have to gasp and splutter so much because your muscles convert fats and sugars into an oxygen substitute. don't neglect your upper body though or your middle, walking is one of the best ways of losing weight so start with a half hour a day, stair climbing and leg raises, doorway or kitchen worktop press ups are good low impact ways of toning up. every time you go into the kitchen do ten press ups leaning onto the worktop then increase as you get used to it. it doesn't take more than a few days for your body to adapt and simple things like that obvious proof of fitness will give you that boost. the more muscle mass you can tone up the more static calories you will burn aiding your weight loss. I can eat a fried breakfast and spend the morning watching telly and still burn more calories than my missus down the gym - somewhere I refuse to go.

you will also need to calorie control what you are doing - as muscle starts growing you will possibly get heavier but as it leans down with use your shape will change accordingly and you will lighten. go by shape and fitness rather than weight but you will have to work out a simple menu you can stick to then convince yourself that is what your body needs and you don't need anymore smaller portions, no beer and water down fizzy drinks if you must drink them, stay away from diet drinks IMO as the insulin rush can mess up what you are trying to achieve - this will encourage weight loss anyway but once happy with your intake you increase the exercise and push your endurance to burn more body calories instead of food ones. the more you cycle the more you will want to cycle, you legs will tell you they want to go out as you get used to the burn and enjoy being fitter.

get used to being hungry it is not a crime but still enjoy what you eat, weight watchers is just silly small portions so don't go to these extremes but stick to around 2000 calories a day and get fitter. the hunger perception is the hardest thing to get used to as it takes a while for the body to adjust and even harder for your mind to stop you snacking, your stomach will shrink back down though after a few weeks and you will feel less hungry because of it. if you like to snack then lose meals accordingly which gives you the incentive to say no.

water retention will probably give you the biggest instant result so drop the beer totally for a few months and see how it feels then only a couple a week. it makes your legs feel rotten in the morning so you soon lose the desire to get tanked up.

while you are looking for your ideal bike though and the weather is good then start walking as much as you can 3-4 miles a day if possible while cutting your calories down a bit so an hour before bed then go to sleep on an empty stomach. read up a bit on calisthenics and start working those muscles a bit and tensing your muscles to get then started. burn calories every chance you get.

ie - stand with your feet apart then raise the left knee to chest height to slap the right hand then down again. ten times then swap over. good to do while waiting for the kettle but it works loads of muscle groups. like the worktop press ups it is a good quick indicator of you getting fit as first you manage to get to ten then you get there quicker.

the key indicator to your success will be your clothes and how you feel, not your weight.

best of luck.
Finguz

Post by Finguz »

Thanks for all the replies, they are very greatly appreciated!

I've been walking 6 to 8 miles per day for the last 2 or 3 months and decided on the bike as it'll make it easier on my legs/joints. In line with some of the advice, I'm keeping my eyes open for a second hand bike, and i'll post when I find one.

Thanks again for all the help!

Oh, I'm just under 23 stone now 8)
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

Finguz wrote:Thanks for all the replies, they are very greatly appreciated!

I've been walking 6 to 8 miles per day for the last 2 or 3 months and decided on the bike as it'll make it easier on my legs/joints. In line with some of the advice, I'm keeping my eyes open for a second hand bike, and i'll post when I find one.

Thanks again for all the help!

Oh, I'm just under 23 stone now 8)

but do you feel fitter?

unfortunately once you convert that fat to muscle you will still be classed as obese as far as BMI is concerned as the calculations are stupid.

walking is hard on the joints until he muscles get fit, muscles can make up 40+ percent of a joints stability as they tighten it up.

keep burning the calories and while looking for a bike maybe look for an exercise bike/rowing machine to use at home. maybe even a stepper so you can exercise while watching the TV. I used to stand behind the sofa on a stepper while eating a curry with a pint of cider down the back of the cushions when my knee used to slacken up. I could probably set up a home gym with all the unused kit in our street. I was given a gym spec spin cycle not so long back, it in turn was given to him.