What is stopping women from cycling?

Wanlock Dod
Posts: 218
Joined: 28 Sep 2016, 5:48pm

Re: What is stopping women from cycling?

Postby Wanlock Dod » 13 Jun 2018, 10:35am

The utility cyclist wrote:... that's a different culture/way of thinking that is rooted in the majority, not the extreme minority here.


I believe that it is the culture that does things for the benefit of society, rather than just for the benefit of individuals, that results in the Dutch providing facilities for both cyclists and motorists. The Little Britain approach is based on it being better, from a selfish perspective at least, to drive so we only provide facilities for driving.

reohn2
Posts: 30250
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: What is stopping women from cycling?

Postby reohn2 » 13 Jun 2018, 11:31am

Wanlock Dod wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:... that's a different culture/way of thinking that is rooted in the majority, not the extreme minority here.


I believe that it is the culture that does things for the benefit of society, rather than just for the benefit of individuals, that results in the Dutch providing facilities for both cyclists and motorists. The Little Britain approach is based on it being better, from a selfish perspective at least, to drive so we only provide facilities for driving.


That's a fact and if anyone who lives in the UK thinks differently they're living in a cycling enclave or in cloud cuckoo land.
Cycling in the UK is a threatening and sometime a very scary experience.Not so in NL due to their civilised and social outlook on the quality of(precious)life.

The political and consequentially the social attitude in the UK is one of "man mind thyself",and IME it's worsened as austerity measures have gone on.The UK has been driving(sorry)down a dead end street for some years as it's political policies have moved ever further to the right and as divide and conquer policies have gained momentum.
The UK is an increasingly despotic nation to live in and one can only hope for the collapse of the wholly despotic rightwing government preasently in power,but it'll take a lot of turning around before sanity returns......
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Tangled Metal
Posts: 3708
Joined: 13 Feb 2015, 8:32pm

Re: What is stopping women from cycling?

Postby Tangled Metal » 13 Jun 2018, 1:00pm

Wanlock Dod wrote:Women shun cycling because of safety, not helmet hair

Ironically there also seems to be an article in the Telegraph about how ladies should just ignore the danger and close passes and get on with it, which seems to have been sponsored by a motor manufacturer.

Targeted advertising perhaps? :wink:

That link had an advertisement for a target interesting Barossa wine. I don't drink! Well apart from cider, but that is more like West Country water, you drink it so as not to get ill from dodgy water (like Belgian beer).

BTW I turned my ad preferences feature off so under GDPR regulations they can't use my data to target advertisements at me. If yours is still on then perhaps you could be getting a targeted car ad for that guardian article. Doesn't mean it's a sponsored article.

Of course being grauniad I haven't read a single word of it only checked it out for the ad. If there's some wording on the article that indicates sponsorship by auto brand then I'm obviously wrong with this observation.

Which is worse? A keen, utility cyclist getting car ads targeted at them or a non-drinker getting alcohol ads targeted at them?

Ontherivet77
Posts: 149
Joined: 3 Jun 2009, 3:20pm
Location: Lancashire

Re: What is stopping women from cycling?

Postby Ontherivet77 » 14 Jun 2018, 8:55am

Apparently it's cycle to work week this week. My wife has been cycling into work this week and guess what she has had a long line of men coming to her desk telling her how dangerous the road she is cycling in on is! Perhaps, if women are to cycle in larger numbers men should stop trying to put the fear of god into them and just let them get on with it.

Wanlock Dod
Posts: 218
Joined: 28 Sep 2016, 5:48pm

Re: What is stopping women from cycling?

Postby Wanlock Dod » 14 Jun 2018, 3:08pm

Tangled Metal wrote:Targeted advertising perhaps? :wink:

It was "brought to you by Skoda" where I had expected to find an authors name that gave it away somewhat.

Don't believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.....

Tangled Metal
Posts: 3708
Joined: 13 Feb 2015, 8:32pm

Re: What is stopping women from cycling?

Postby Tangled Metal » 14 Jun 2018, 3:53pm

Wanlock Dod wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:Targeted advertising perhaps? :wink:

It was "brought to you by Skoda" where I had expected to find an authors name that gave it away somewhat.

Don't believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.....

I don't believe you! :wink:

User avatar
mjr
Posts: 9771
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: What is stopping women from cycling?

Postby mjr » 14 Jun 2018, 4:57pm

Ontherivet77 wrote:Apparently it's cycle to work week this week. My wife has been cycling into work this week and guess what she has had a long line of men coming to her desk telling her how dangerous the road she is cycling in on is! Perhaps, if women are to cycle in larger numbers men should stop trying to put the fear of god into them and just let them get on with it.

Are they trying to suggest alternative routes or just being daft?

It's "#BikeWeekUK". I've read on another forum about someone being asked to do a ten-minute intro to bike repairs for children and they proudly said they managed to "hit home about helmets" (and also covered a couple of repairs). I daren't ask for more detail, else I'll surely get moderated, but suffice to say that things like this do make me wonder what/if some people are thinking when it comes to encouraging cycling. :-(
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

Ontherivet77
Posts: 149
Joined: 3 Jun 2009, 3:20pm
Location: Lancashire

Re: What is stopping women from cycling?

Postby Ontherivet77 » 15 Jun 2018, 8:32am

mjr wrote:
Ontherivet77 wrote:Apparently it's cycle to work week this week. My wife has been cycling into work this week and guess what she has had a long line of men coming to her desk telling her how dangerous the road she is cycling in on is! Perhaps, if women are to cycle in larger numbers men should stop trying to put the fear of god into them and just let them get on with it.

Are they trying to suggest alternative routes or just being daft?

It's "#BikeWeekUK". I've read on another forum about someone being asked to do a ten-minute intro to bike repairs for children and they proudly said they managed to "hit home about helmets" (and also covered a couple of repairs). I daren't ask for more detail, else I'll surely get moderated, but suffice to say that things like this do make me wonder what/if some people are thinking when it comes to encouraging cycling. :-(


There isn't really an alternative route. I think it was more sharing stories of cycling war wounds and like you say not really designed to encourage cycling.