Route 8 - Wales

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Lilyf

Route 8 - Wales

Post by Lilyf »

We hope to follow route 8 from Dolgellau to Corris (and beyond to Machynlleth).
Can anyone tell me what the surface of the section of route 8, after it crosses the A487, above Dolgellau to Corris is like? (We’ve done the section from Dolgellau to the A487 on several occasions so know what to expect on that stretch).
We’ll be on road bikes with panniers. I’m not averse to having to get off and push on really steep or rough bits but it would be useful to know in advance - especially if it is wet.
Thanks.
Lily
honesty

Re: Route 8 - Wales

Post by honesty »

The very top part of the track over the summit above Aberllefenni is gravel but had recently been regravelled when I went over it 2 years ago. Otherwise it’s tarmac. I did it on 28mm tyres fine.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

You'll never know if you don't try it.
Lilyf

Post by Lilyf »

Thankyou for the info regarding route 8 - you’ve both been very helpful and we now know we will be fine following it.
The YouTube video is absolutely brilliant. We watched it all.
The guys made a fantastic job of filming, and editing, their tour.
I’m sure it will encourage others to follow the whole of route 8.
Our upcoming tour is roughly a large triangle. We start in Greater Manchester and head to St David’s, go across to Lowestoft and head back home again. We’ve booked all our accommodation in advance and our daily distance varies from just over 30 miles to just over 60. We plan to take our time (roughly 900 miles over 18 cycling days) and visit NT properties, museums and anything else that takes our interest.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

You really should visit the Nation Cycle Museum in Llandrindod Wells
And the C.A.T. at Pantperthog...

At the north end of the prom in Aberystwyth there is a cliff railway, or one may walk up
There are fantastic views of the mountains from there, surprised me a bit cos it is not high

Cymru am byth!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Lilyf

Post by Lilyf »

Thanks Cyril Haearn.
We visited C.A.T. when it was in it’s infancy (many many years ago) as we knew someone who worked there at the time. We have visited since then.
We have also done the cliff railway at Aberystwyth (but there’s nothing to say we won’t go up there again, as we spend one night in Aberystwyth).
The next day we aim to visit the NT property Llanerchaeron (cafe noted!!) before continuing on to a b&b near West Wales aIrport. From there we are going to back track a few miles to visit the ‘Internal Fire Museum’ http://www.internalfire.com/index.php?s ... cb9cad8a3c before heading on to Fishguard.
Hubby is particularly looking forward to visiting this museum. Me, well, I’m looking forward to visiting the cafe!
We know of the National Cycle Museum but will be giving it a miss on this occasion. It is rather out of our way.
Everyone we have spoken to tells us what a lovely, interesting place Fishguard is.
From Fishguard it’s a quick visit to St David’s Lifeboat Station before heading back inland and aiming for Lowestoft.
Lily