grand depart

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
althebike

grand depart

Post by althebike »

The deed is done and journey booked, Leaving London on 21.15 Tue evening, to arrive in Thurso Wed afternoon.
Should get cycling Thur morning so just need to arrange bouncy castle, the mayor to cut the ribbon , follow the commissaire car out, riding solo I guess I get one all to myslef :D
Enough joking, will everything fit into the bag? how do I cycle to the station then unpack everything while I change into sivvies ..time to get working folks.
charliepolecat

Re: grand depart

Post by charliepolecat »

Well, good luck and happy cycling. Keep in touch as it all winds down to the start.
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

Not that it will affect you, but the usual means of taking bikes on planes is via a very cumbersome bike box which is always larger than the basic size allowance, but now with the shrink wrap service at most airports it is possible to make the whole thing smaller by taking off the wheels and pedals and turning the handlebars and have the whole package shrink wrapped for a few pounds or dollars and have it loaded on the plane as just another piece of luggage for much less than the cost of transporting a bike box.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Start from home with cycling kit on, travel in cycling kit / throw clothes (old cheap clothes) away when you start cycling at start, no need for civvies.
When I walks walking the pennine way etc, I would take trainers to walk to station etc, but I wouldn't bother today, carrying a heavy sack in trainers was never clever, who's going to frown at you wearing cycling clothes today.

Good Luck!
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
althebike

Post by althebike »

The thing with cycling shorts is all a matter of hygene, if I can keep them clean and dry until I ride, then wash and dry them after every ride, then it should keep the nasties down below at bay.
I will have a pair of shorts, trainers ( lighter than my flip flops) and a T shirt for all non cycling wear. I have stuffed my jersey and showerproof jacket with bits and bobs to make room, so I guess I will be wearing those for the first couple of days .
So its a long and short sleeve T shirt, a pair of bibshorts,gillet, jersey ,jacket, gloves, glasses and 2 pairs of socks for riding. Got the toiletries and tools packed.I could spend all my life doing this, I seem to be doing little bits and pieces that have taken half the day, you experienced folks have probably got it off pat and wondering what all the fuss is about.
simonwoodward66

Post by simonwoodward66 »

Good luck on your trip. I'll be setting off from JOG on Tuesday so will be a couple of days ahead of you. We plan to take 14 days so maybe we'll see each other somewhere near Land End.
http://woodyandmal.com
althebike

Post by althebike »

Simonwoodward66
It looks as if we will just miss each other.I am taking the same route all the way at least to langholm/mellor area .As I am taking a similar time to do the route it is unlikely I will catch you even though you are burdened with camping stuff. Don't take the red jersey off though.
Good luck with your ride and also donations to the charity
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

Woody, are you planning to wild camp or have you selected camp sites?
simonwoodward66

charliepolecat wrote:Woody, are you planning to wild camp or have you selected camp sites?
Campsites aren't booked, the plan is to find campsites as we go. I've uploaded into OSMand the location of all the campsites from Archie's.
The problem with wild camping is the lack of showers after spending all day in the saddle!
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

of all the campsites from Archie's.

Who he?
simonwoodward66

charliepolecat wrote:
of all the campsites from Archie's.

Who he?
http://archiescampings.eu
robing

Post by robing »

althebike wrote:The thing with cycling shorts is all a matter of hygene, if I can keep them clean and dry until I ride, then wash and dry them after every ride, then it should keep the nasties down below at bay.
I will have a pair of shorts, trainers ( lighter than my flip flops) and a T shirt for all non cycling wear. I have stuffed my jersey and showerproof jacket with bits and bobs to make room, so I guess I will be wearing those for the first couple of days .
So its a long and short sleeve T shirt, a pair of bibshorts,gillet, jersey ,jacket, gloves, glasses and 2 pairs of socks for riding. Got the toiletries and tools packed.I could spend all my life doing this, I seem to be doing little bits and pieces that have taken half the day, you experienced folks have probably got it off pat and wondering what all the fuss is about.

I find it's pretty much impossible to get padded cycling shorts to dry overnight.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

robing wrote:
althebike wrote:The thing with cycling shorts is all a matter of hygene, if I can keep them clean and dry until I ride, then wash and dry them after every ride, then it should keep the nasties down below at bay.

I find it's pretty much impossible to get padded cycling shorts to dry overnight.

yeah, me too. I usually take three pairs of cycling shorts with me. One on, one drying, and one just in case. I could maybe get away with two, but not one.

I dispense with most non-cycling wear. Showerproof & quick drying golf trousers are both 'civvies' and something warm to wear on my legs cycling, if needed. No t-shirts, just a couple of cycling jerseys and a long-sleeved merino top that looks reasonable with the golf trousers.

Have a good trip, althebike!
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
althebike

Post by althebike »

Thank you all for your good wishes. Your advice and help have been invaluable. I have trainers shorts and t shirt for off bike wear, and I will be wearing that when I cycle to the station , between Paddington and Euston, and overnight, I will also be wearing my cycling jacket, so my cycling gear should be fresh for riding.
I saw a video on GCN global cycling network, that shows how to dry cycling gear, you lay the wet stuff out flat on a flat towel, then roll the towel up tight and wring, this should wick most of the moisture away .I have not tried it yet, but I am bringing 2 pairs of cycling shorts so if one pair is still damp, I will wear the other.
I loaded up the bike yesterday and rode round the block. It is a dedicated road bike, not tourer and it sure feels strange fully loaded, I thought I would manage between 12-15 mph for much of the trip but this seems ambitious after the ride round the block.
Leaving for Paddington 6pm and should get to Thurso 20 hours later.
Wow if that was a plane I could go half way round the world in that time.
robing

Post by robing »

Good luck with your trip. I'm currently on day 3 going the other way, just passed bristol. Travelling nice and light :)