A positive thread

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Patrickpioneer

Re: A positive thread

Post by Patrickpioneer »

Bryn old chap, a very good positive deed indeed, well done that man. You can put your cap on and go home early today.
I still have a sore bum! so I shall do some more blooming positive flipping house work.
Patrick
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Get a recumbent, then you can sit on the fleshy bits that were made for that porpoise :wink:
I do love this hot bright weather - actually I hate it, cycling is very strenuous in summer
Tomorrow I plan to pay a lot of money for a train ticket for a journey I prefer to cycle (I just cycle to the train station). Saves a lot of time mind, 9 minutes on the train, more than an hour to cycle

Actually I accept the weather, can not do anything about it, and there are plenty of good days for cycling even in summer, it is a good time to visit a cool dark cinema too

Very good too - I am in a minority, seems many people choose to endanger their health by going cycling in the sunshine. On my cycling days there are many fewer cyclists about
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pwa

Post by pwa »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Get a recumbent, then you can sit on the fleshy bits that were made for that porpoise :wink:
I do love this hot bright weather - actually I hate it, cycling is very strenuous in summer
Tomorrow I plan to pay a lot of money for a train ticket for a journey I prefer to cycle (I just cycle to the train station). Saves a lot of time mind, 9 minutes on the train, more than an hour to cycle

Actually I accept the weather, can not do anything about it, and there are plenty of good days for cycling even in summer, it is a good time to visit a cool dark cinema too

Very good too - I am in a minority, seems many people choose to endanger their health by going cycling in the sunshine. On my cycling days there are many fewer cyclists about

Continental climate with colder winter and hotter summer than we tend to get in the UK. I actually like the UK climate, for all its shortcomings. It is more comfortable to live with than any other climate I know of. Anything over 24 c has me seeking out shade. Cycled to work yesterday in slight drizzle and it was good. I had shorts on and the wetting of the legs kept me pleasantly cool.

(And when I got to work a computerised system that is supposed to guide the way people work was down, so everyone had to work without it. You could feel the joy in the air. And people were reporting getting tasks done quicker than usual because they could use their brains again and make intelligent choices. The Luddite in me was very happy.)

But in extremely hot weather (30c) I'd rather cycle than walk. The cooling effect of the breeze in my face is something I miss when I walk. It is when I stop and get off the bike that I feel really hot.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I am in the lowland north near the Baltic, almost Scandinavia. In south Germany it is even worse, and people even go on hols to Spain, Greece, Italy :?

Sounds nice at the bottom of Wales, the top is even better IMHO :wink:
Typically there is one wet day the whole time I am there, I stay in and try to improve my Welsh by watching Sam Tan/Fireman Sam
pwa

Post by pwa »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I am in the lowland north near the Baltic, almost Scandinavia. In south Germany it is even worse, and people even go on hols to Spain, Greece, Italy :?

Sounds nice at the bottom of Wales, the top is even better IMHO :wink:
Typically there is one wet day the whole time I am there, I stay in and try to improve my Welsh by watching Sam Tan/Fireman Sam

You can tune in to Welsh language programmes any time.http://www.s4c.cymru/clic/e_level2.shtm ... =536616731
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

On my little ride of ten miles this morning a chap on a 'S works' road bike pulled along side and stayed with me while we had a chat, he is also a member of CUK and was going to join the local group for a ride. Meeting a fellow member and having a talk has made my bloomin day.
Patrick
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

If that is not a good news story! Heard on the news this morning that Babtschenko, a Russian journalist, had been killed

Just read that that was a great exaggeration, he just turned up at a press conference safe + well :wink:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Awful weather, much too hot, but I did not give in, left work early, left my motor in town, walked 4 km to the bike shop, collected my new secondhand bike with queer butterfly bars (quite good) and SEVEN gears, the saddle was a bit low, raised it back home
Stopped at the book station on the ride home, added four more free books to my library
Got to walk 4 km to my motor tomorrow morning before driving to work, +4!
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

books and bikes Bryn, you cant beat it with a tyre iron old chap. BTW, Ivor the engine is better than fireman Sam.
pwa

Post by pwa »

It's coming up to midday and as soon as I've finished tapping out this little message I will be off to the garage to get two bikes out. One for me and one for the Missus. She will soon be returning from taking my daughter to work in the car (an unexpected journey at short notice). We will have lunch then venture off into the maze of lanes for a couple of hours. She has not cycled with me for months, though we have been doing a lot of walking together. So I'm going to pump those tyres up and fill the water bottles ready for the off. A good feeling.
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

Just got back from my Sunday morning ride, I meet loads of cyclists from a Chester club who waved a shouted hello, all sorts of greetings. It made my morning to meet happy pleasant cyclists. If any of you read this thank you.
Patrick
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Picked and ate the first cherries of the year yesterday
Fortunately I was walking, cycling I would have been too fast to spot them
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Food for free time again, enjoying cherries for breakfast
Going back today for more

I hardly ever buy fresh fruit for money and I try to buy only seasonal vegetables. From now to October there are plenty of free plums and apples. If one collects plenty of the latter they keep into next year

Not telling anyone where I found them mind :wink:
mjr

Post by mjr »

Quick ride this morning, checking the current state of the shortest access to the old railway line, the checking out another couple of back lanes so I can update the surfaces on OSM. Took the attached picture near point 1 of http://cycle.travel/map/journey/68134 - you can't get there in a car :)
Attachments
Southern end of Spot Lane
Southern end of Spot Lane
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I went out for an hour or so this afternoon in damp conditions and two small new acquisitions worked well. Firstly, I tend to use clear cycling glasses to keep wind, rain and flies out of my eyes, and I don't like to spend much on them. My new Tifosi glasses worked well in the mizzle, not steaming even on a sweaty climb. Secondly, for some time now my dual compound Koolstop brake blocks have been squealing on my rear wheel with its tungsten carbide CSS coating. I've previously used the Swisstop blue ones and they just don't stop the bike in the wet. So I've put Shimano pads for ceramic rims on, and for the moment it is a thumbs up. Quiet, good modulation and confidence inspiring stopping power even with wet rims. Early days for both items, but looking good.