Helmets

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
garybaldy

Helmets

Post by garybaldy »

Does anyone know why I have changed my mind!!

After being so anti-helmet to the point of giving up cycling if it was made compulsory, I have now brought one!

Still think I will look a bit of a nerd in it, but I'll give it a go.

Also got some flash glasses as well.

I'll look soooo coool. Won't I???
meic

Post by meic »

This is what most of us are after, giving everyone the freedom to choose.
Its your head wear one or not, as you like.
Yma o Hyd
360fix

helmets

Post by 360fix »

I am new here but what the .... I may as well stick my neck out ...

The neck is my problem. My head is hard but my neck is soft and flexible. I don't wear a helmet because I don't want the unnatural shape of the helmet to wrench my neck into an unnatural and awkward position possibly with paralysis as a result.
aesmith

Re: Helmets

Post by aesmith »

garybaldy wrote:After being so anti-helmet to the point of giving up cycling if it was made compulsory, I have now brought one!

So have I !

However I intend to wear it as little as possible. I need to wear one for some events where rules dictate, and I thought it unfair to have to keep borrowing one. I've no intention of wearing one at any other time, and since I will only be using it where they're compulsory then I don't think of it as safety equipment.

Best price I got was £4.99 for a Bell helmet through Ebay. I was tempted by one with a "Thomas the Tank Engine" theme, but they didn't have my size.

Tony S
UrbanManc

Re: helmets

Post by UrbanManc »

360fixation wrote:I am new here but what the .... I may as well stick my neck out ...

The neck is my problem. My head is hard but my neck is soft and flexible. I don't wear a helmet because I don't want the unnatural shape of the helmet to wrench my neck into an unnatural and awkward position possibly with paralysis as a result.

I've read that three times ... and I still can't believe what I've read :?
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

garybaldy wrote:Does anyone know why I have changed my mind!!?

bird pooh problem? sunburn issues?
360fix

Post by 360fix »

UrbanManc wrote:
360fixation wrote:I am new here but what the .... I may as well stick my neck out ...

I've read that three times ... and I still can't believe what I've read :?

I believe a number of motorcyclists got their necks broken in the early days of full face helmets, until the manufacturers got the design right. :shock:
meic

Post by meic »

Those early Bell motorcycle helmets did weigh something like a kilogram which could snap a neck in a high speed motorcycle crash. I think you will find that a cycle helmet is a bit too insubstantial to cause your death (or survival for that matter :lol: )
Yma o Hyd
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

garybaldy wrote:Does anyone know why I have changed my mind!!

After being so anti-helmet to the point of giving up cycling if it was made compulsory, I have now brought one!

Still think I will look a bit of a nerd in it, but I'll give it a go.

Also got some flash glasses as well.

I'll look soooo coool. Won't I???

With a name like Gary Baldy at least you won't get you're head sunburned whilst wearing it :wink: :)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Here we go again happy as can be :)

Oh those nasty helmets and all that rotational neck twisting.
It would certainly be a bit of a b*gg@r for the family looking at one in't coffin with either the body facing the right up and all they've got to look at is the back of one's head or the face is looking solomnly out but one has turned one's back on them so to speak :?
360fix

Post by 360fix »

meic wrote:Those early Bell motorcycle helmets did weigh something like a kilogram which could snap a neck in a high speed motorcycle crash. I think you will find that a cycle helmet is a bit too insubstantial to cause your death (or survival for that matter :lol: )

Max. speed for a motorbike = 200mph

Max. speed for a bicycle..... = 40mph
360fix

Post by 360fix »

360fixation wrote:
meic wrote:Those early Bell motorcycle helmets did weigh something like a kilogram which could snap a neck in a high speed motorcycle crash. I think you will find that a cycle helmet is a bit too insubstantial to cause your death (or survival for that matter :lol: )

Max. speed for a motorbike = 200mph

Max. speed for a bicycle..... = 40mph

Stored Kinetic Energy = 1/2 Mass X Velocity squared

A motorbike weighs about 20 times as much as a bicycle and goes five times as fast.
Cookster

Post by Cookster »

I still chuckle every time I see a roadie wearing a cycling cap. Is it meant to keep everything together after a crash? :roll:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cookster wrote:I still chuckle every time I see a roadie wearing a cycling cap. Is it meant to keep everything together after a crash? :roll:

Err, no, its meant to keep the sun off the head and the peak is meant keep the sun out of the eyes. :)
360fix

Post by 360fix »

In August 1999, Philip Dunham, then 15, was riding his mountain bike in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park in North Carolina and went over a jump on a trail. As he did, his back tire kicked up, the bike flipped over and he landed on his head. The helmet he was wearing did not protect his neck; he was paralyzed from the neck down.

sorry lost the URL now