** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
fixerupper

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by fixerupper »

"Its an age thing, you got all your wants and fantasises out of your system, realise you are not superman and settle down, but I would rather know whats coming than put my head in the sand."

Yeah you could be right , but I don't think I've got all my wants and fantasises quite yet ..It's just do I need to take steps to preserve what I have got , so that I can achieve them...and enjoy them ...Is my feeling of isolation from May's madness and Davis's dithering a illusion ...who knows ...
mr bajokoses

Post by mr bajokoses »

fixerupper wrote:No one seems able to say what the benefits are...

It becomes ever more obvious, that there are no benefits.
Debs

Post by Debs »

mr bajokoses wrote:

The billionaires move into Tax Heaven UK, huge benefits for them, and their Tory puppets.
RickH

Post by RickH »

mr bajokoses wrote:

We were promised the "sunny uplands" (was that Boris?) but it looking more like they will be an arid wasteland (I've got Mont Ventoux above the tree line in my mind's eye here)!
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

reohn2 wrote:N.A.
I'm not sure what you're trying to say :?
I have three children,eight surviving grandchildren and three great grandchildren,the youngest of which is four weeks old and I really fear for their future outside of the EU.

+1 for children, they really should have been allowed to vote*
You could encourage them to learn languages so they can move abroad

I am sure the UK will muddle through, as fixerupper wrote: the change is from being half in the EU to being half out

I thought voting to leave was crazy, still think so but I expect not so much will change

* I tried to register. Not allowed, lived outwith the scented Isle too long :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
The way the british are.
WE could teach them not to fall into the same pitfalls that we all have ......at school! Before they leave.

Then they would not have all those bad habits, first picked up from parents then the bods they meet at work / uni.

Then we would be different thinking and take more interest in public affairs before its all to late.

You make a lot assumptions about people and children you know nothing about :?

Maybe I am dreaming

More than likely :?

The day they leave school is the day they grow up and become their own person, your job is done?

No it isn't,your children even when they're adults are still your children.

When I say I have no kids its not because I don't like or ever wanted them, I am the one who complains daily about the way children are used by the media.

Contacted the BBC recently and suggested that their do not follow their usual "oh and the first team home.....blah...select school..blahh...grin...grin..."

OH they listened BUT....they even used MY Words too............................but alas they got the last word......"Its Not A Race" (me) but the first team home was............"favourite"..................and only other team named out of 400 teams was also a select school............................grammar.....................fee paying.........................

So the BBC are intent to only name first home and select schools...................

You can't win.

You've lost me :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
stu1102

Post by stu1102 »

Jonathan Portes Professor of Economics, King's College London;

"The implied hit to the public finances [from Brexit] is about £15 billion per year by
the early 2020s—about 10% of NHS budget (& almost double any possible saving from ending budget payments to the EU)"

IFS analysis for @UKandEU paper "Brexit & the NHS"

http://ukandeu.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads ... e-NHS-.pdf
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
I have three children,eight surviving grandchildren and three great grandchildren,the youngest of which is four weeks old and I really fear for their future outside of the EU.

I am sure the UK will muddle through, as fixerupper wrote: the change is from being half in the EU to being half out

I thought voting to leave was crazy, still think so but I expect not so much will change

Which is becoming more like a septic isle for the ordinary working wo/man :evil:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pete75

Post by pete75 »

RickH wrote:
mr bajokoses wrote:

We were promised the "sunny uplands" (was that Boris?) but it looking more like they will be an arid wasteland (I've got Mont Ventoux above the tree line in my mind's eye here)!

The same Boris who promised a bonfire of regulations when he became mayor of London. All that achieved was a bonfire of Grenfell Tower.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

reohn2 wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:

Which is becoming more like a septic isle for the ordinary working wo/man :evil:

In more ways than one as they're so keen to emulate the USA.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

pete75 wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:+1 for children, they really should have been allowed

In more ways than one as they're so keen to emulate the USA.

I think I am right in saying that the Norsemen used to call the British Isles the "Sheep Isles" :shock:
sjs

Post by sjs »

jezer wrote:Well said, my thoughts exactly.

Yep. Don't see how any sane person could disagree.
stu1102

Post by stu1102 »

Its reassuring in that were 'taking back control' and as a result are leaving the following EU institutions:

Eurojust: Eurojust's primary focus are on crimes that represent an "especial threat" to citizens, such as terrorism, drug trafficking, trafficking in human beings, cybercrime, fraud, corruption, money laundering and other economic crime. http://eurojust.europa.eu/Pages/home.aspx

Europol is mandated by the European Union (EU) to assist EU Member States in the fight against international crime, such as illicit drugs, trafficking in human beings, intellectual property crime, cybercrime, euro counterfeiting and terrorism, by serving as a centre for law enforcement cooperation, expertise and criminal intelligence; https://www.europol.europa.eu/target-gr ... ral-public

European Arrest Warrant (EAW) is a mechanism by which individuals wanted in relation to significant crimes are extradited between EU member states to face prosecution or to serve a prison sentence for an existing conviction. In the UK extradition policy is owned by the Home Office.

Hard to see how leaving Europol, Eurojust, and the European Arrest Warrant can improve security in UK. Still, the will of the 37% must prevail

European Medicines Agency currently based in London moving to Amsterdam employees over 800 Doctors, Scientists, Researchers testing the efficacy and accreditation of all drugs including cancer drugs which are used all over the EU. http://www.ema.europa.eu/ema/

Still to come Euratom: nuclear safety and research watchdog https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics- ... u-40571853
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

stu1102 wrote:Its reassuring in that were 'taking back control' and as a result are leaving the following EU institutions:

Eurojust: Eurojust's primary focus are on crimes that represent an "especial threat" to citizens, such as terrorism, drug trafficking, trafficking in human beings, cybercrime, fraud, corruption, money laundering and other economic crime. http://eurojust.europa.eu/Pages/home.aspx

Europol is mandated by the European Union (EU) to assist EU Member States in the fight against international crime, such as illicit drugs, trafficking in human beings, intellectual property crime, cybercrime, euro counterfeiting and terrorism, by serving as a centre for law enforcement cooperation, expertise and criminal intelligence; https://www.europol.europa.eu/target-gr ... ral-public

European Arrest Warrant (EAW) is a mechanism by which individuals wanted in relation to significant crimes are extradited between EU member states to face prosecution or to serve a prison sentence for an existing conviction. In the UK extradition policy is owned by the Home Office.

Hard to see how leaving Europol, Eurojust, and the European Arrest Warrant can improve security in UK. Still, the will of the 37% must prevail

European Medicines Agency currently based in London moving to Amsterdam employees over 800 Doctors, Scientists, Researchers testing the efficacy and accreditation of all drugs including cancer drugs which are used all over the EU. http://www.ema.europa.eu/ema/

Still to come Euratom: nuclear safety and research watchdog https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics- ... u-40571853

It's just dire- we're losing all this because the press spent the best part of 40 years lying about the EU and blaming it for all the UK governments' own shortcomings, and a couple of percentage points more people were suckered by that than weren't.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

pete75 wrote:
RickH wrote:
mr bajokoses wrote:

The same Boris who promised a bonfire of regulations when he became mayor of London. All that achieved was a bonfire of Grenfell Tower.

Yes- and he's the one that took a hatchet to the London fire service too.