Best Track pump under £25

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Fraz101

Best Track pump under £25

Post by Fraz101 »

Looking for track pump recommendations please for under £25. Seen a few that look ok but have no experience with them.

Thanks
mjr

Re: Best Track pump under £25

Post by mjr »

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/airworx-100 ... 66702.html and a previous version is one of the best I've used.

I've currently got a Beto which is OK but I'm slowly replacing its parts with SKS ones as they wear out!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

Something from the Topeak Joe Blow range. Robust, reliable and with spare parts available for when it does wear out. The 'Max II' model is available from the usual suspects for less then £25.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I made a similar query about six months ago and bought a Joe Blow Sport II on the positive recommendations received on here, with 10% off for ordering on line and collecting in store. IIRC, there's a III available, which may have brought the price down a bit. I bought it as a gift for one of my grandchildren so I've not used it much but it's one of those buys where I've not been disappointed. It has a double head with separate holes for presta/ schrader and the locking lever is also used to make the choice of hole if that makes sense. The main obvious differences between this model and more expensive Topeak pumps is in things like the foot being pressed metal, rather than cast. No sign of anything mickey mouse.

After the forum recommendations, I didn't look at anything else so I can't offer any comparisons.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=117192
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

I'd look in Decthalon. I have one there's that been faultless and inflated literally thousands of tyres. Mine is of metal construction with a gauge and now about 12 years old. Thoroughly recommend it.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

FWIW a steel barrel is a good feature but (as with many things in life) the quality varies. Cheap track pumps are often made with seamed steel barrel tubes which can be Ok but vary depending on how the seam has been finished. There appear to be several quality levels

1) seam well dressed; works OK and carries on working OK. The seam is still visible inside the barrel

2) seam partially dressed; works Ok to start with but piston seal fails/leaks over time

3) seam not dressed enough; leaks from day one and just gets worse

Price is only a weak indicator of quality in this regard. You can test for 3) by seeing how fast the plunger can be pushed down when the outlet is blocked.

Even cheap track pumps (from lidl or aldi ~£6 IIRC) will work OK for a while, but I wouldn't trust the gauges on them...

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

mjr wrote:https://www.decathlon.co.uk/airworx-100-floor-pump-id_8166702.html and a previous version is one of the best I've used.

!ooks interesting.

Can I ask what happened to your first one/why you no longer use it?

Can it be taken apart for maintenance/seal lubing?
Sweep
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

This is the one I would like but I bet it costs more than £25:

(Pic from Rumbach in Germany)
Have we got time for another cuppa?
mjr

Post by mjr »

Sweep wrote:Can I ask what happened to your first one/why you no longer use it?

It wasn't mine and its owner took it back! So no idea on maintenance, sorry.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
firedfromthecircus

Post by firedfromthecircus »

I can't recommend a good one sadly, but I can advise against a bad one.

I had a cheap Edinburgh Bicycle Co-Op one which I'd had since the mid 90's. It was great but when the pressure gauge stopped working I decided it was time for an upgrade.
Ended up going with a Lezyne high volume steel barrel thing. It pumps OK but all the chucks are [inappropriate word removed]. I've got the flip chuck (cheap plastic crap that split), the flip thread chuck (absolute PITA to use), and I went and bought the slip chuck hoping it would be better than the flip chuck but it's still [inappropriate word removed]. And the part the chucks attach to is rubbish too. Really not impressed that I thought I was buying quality and paying for it and it is garbage compared to the cheap thing I had that worked well for 20 years!

So to summarise, I don't advise a Lezyne!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

firedfromthecircus wrote:I can't recommend a good one sadly, but I can advise against a bad one.

I had a cheap Edinburgh Bicycle Co-Op one which I'd had since the mid 90's. It was great but when the pressure gauge stopped working I decided it was time for an upgrade.
Ended up going with a Lezyne high volume steel barrel thing. It pumps OK but all the chucks are <i>[inappropriate word removed]</i>. I've got the flip chuck (cheap plastic crap that split), the flip thread chuck (absolute PITA to use), and I went and bought the slip chuck hoping it would be better than the flip chuck but it's still <i>[inappropriate word removed]</i>. And the part the chucks attach to is rubbish too. Really not impressed that I thought I was buying quality and paying for it and it is garbage compared to the cheap thing I had that worked well for 20 years!

So to summarise, I don't advise a Lezyne!

Interesting post.
I agree that you don't always get what you pay for.
I was taken with a specialized pump that cost £60, maybe £65. Yes I know, but I figured it was a quality item which would last a lifetime.

Hadn't had it long, maybe two or three years, something went wonky - can't remember the details but when I popped in the Specialized concept store or whatever (dread to think what the concept is) in Kingston the twonk behind the counter virtually laughed in my face when I asked about a simple spare bit to let me get it going again. Pretty much told me I couldn't expect spares availability after two years. Emails to Spesh went unanswered.

I too have an Edinburgh Bike Co-Op one now - cost £15. It's fine but I do expect it to give up the ghost eventually and it can't be opened up for simple maintenance. Not complaining though.

When it goes I will most likely buy some form of Topeak JoBlow. I very definitely won't be spending over £30. No need to.
Up yours Spesh, with a big rod of now spare metal.
Sweep
firedfromthecircus

Post by firedfromthecircus »

Now that you've got me looking this one from Wiggle looks remarkably like an updated version of my trusty old Ed Bike pump. At that price and with Wiggles return policies I'm tempted myself! :lol:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-essential-track-pump/
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

firedfromthecircus wrote:Now that you've got me looking this one from Wiggle looks remarkably like an updated version of my trusty old Ed Bike pump. At that price and with Wiggles return policies I'm tempted myself! :lol:

Maybe promising.
I would check if it can be opened up though.
Sometimes a problem with a pump just needs a bit of lube put an Oring.

Me, in future it will be Jo Blow - I think they can all be opened up and all have a ready supply of key spares.
Sweep
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

How about this one?
Last edited by De Sisti on 24 Jun 2018, 9:19am, edited 1 time in total.
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

firedfromthecircus wrote:Now that you've got me looking this one from Wiggle looks remarkably like an updated version of my trusty old Ed Bike pump. At that price and with Wiggles return policies I'm tempted myself! :lol:

The Lifeline Professional on the same page looks significantly better for just a tenner more and still well within the OP's budget.