Customs madness and 'dangerous objects'

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Tangled Metal

Re: Customs madness and 'dangerous objects'

Post by Tangled Metal »

A guy I once worked with had a metal pump for taking car lights out of when drivers performed a manoeuvre around him he didn't like.

His mate, abusing to him, had a chain whip with extra links for the same purpose. I thought it kind of going too far but the guy made it it was normal. But he did say his mate was psycho with the chain whip. I thought they were both a bit psycho personally hearing some of his stories.

TBH the human body is enough of a weapon of you have a bit of knowledge. The soldier on an airplane seat improvising weapons, of he's any good he wouldn't need anything. Ex army pt instructor I used to know was a classic example. Fourth Dan in ju-jitsu at the time (now a professor and 7th Dan or higher now plus high Dan in a few other styles plus master of his own recognised style) so not to be underestimated. Of course he nearly got into trouble with the law when he broke the arm of the guy who tried to mug him with a fixed blade knife. Seems trained martial artist beats druggie with a big knife in the dangerous weapons stakes!

Personally avoid conflict is my advice. Legitimate knives in the base of the bag, no obvious weapons and simply acting natural and friendly. IME not making yourself stand out does a lot of good. Not easy with a bike and panniers though.
whoof

Post by whoof »

thirdcrank wrote:I'm losing the plot here.

The point I'm trying to make is that in the various security situations where this or that is prohibited and so is likely to be seized - eg prior to boarding an aircraft - the criminal law concepts don't apply. The fact that you may be a member of an historical re-enactment society who regularly plays a pike-man and ipso facto has good reason to trudge round muddy fields in doublet and hose brandishing a pike won't get you on a plane with it.

If I want to fly with a knife I just put it in the hold luggage and there will be no problems getting on the plane. But I need to be able to get to the airport and then tour at the other end and therefore I will be carrying the knife in a public place.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

whoof wrote: ... If I want to fly with a knife I just put it in the hold luggage and there will be no problems getting on the plane. But I need to be able to get to the airport and then tour at the other end and therefore I will be carrying the knife in a public place.

That's pretty much the point I've been trying to make, but this thread has attracted comments suggesting that some have different ideas. It also seems pretty obvious to me that the laws on what you can carry about with you in the street may be different in the UK and your destination(s). When in Rome etc (but don't try to board a plane kitted out as a retarius :wink: )
wearwell

Post by wearwell »

thirdcrank wrote:
whoof wrote: ... If I want to fly with a knife I just put it in the hold luggage and there will be no problems getting on the plane. But I need to be able to get to the airport and then tour at the other end and therefore I will be carrying the knife in a public place.

That's pretty much the point I've been trying to make, but this thread has attracted comments suggesting that some have different ideas. It also seems pretty obvious to me that the laws on what you can carry about with you in the street may be different in the UK and your destination(s). When in Rome etc (but don't try to board a plane kitted out as a retarius :wink: )

My original point was not about flying but about cycle touring via ferries. At Portsmouth they were randomly x raying any bags and looking for 'dangerous objects'. In other words there was no hiding place. They had a bin full of penknives and similar which they had taken. Luckily they didn't spot ours.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

simonhill wrote:I thought this post was about ferry ports and boats, not airports and planes. We all have plenty of 'crazy' airline stories.

The worrying thing about this post is that security constraints could be applied to our cycling luggage on ferries.

+1

Yes folks, please stick to ferries.

That's the worrying thing.
Sweep
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

Tangled Metal wrote:Fourth Dan in ju-jitsu at the time (now a professor and 7th Dan or higher now plus high Dan in a few other styles plus master of his own recognised style) so not to be underestimated. Of course he nearly got into trouble with the law when he broke the arm of the guy who tried to mug him with a fixed blade knife.
You mean he waited while the mugger phoned for the police, or perhaps he handed
himself in to the coppers?

I don't get this story. If he broke the arm of the mugger surely he would have carried on about his business as normal? How did he come to be 'nearly got into trouble with the law'?
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

De Sisti wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:Fourth Dan in ju-jitsu at the time (now a professor and 7th Dan or higher now plus high Dan in a few other styles plus master of his own recognised style) so not to be underestimated. Of course he nearly got into trouble with the law when he broke the arm of the guy who tried to mug him with a fixed blade knife.
You mean he waited while the mugger phoned for the police, or perhaps he handed
himself in to the coppers?

I don't get this story. If he broke the arm of the mugger surely he would have carried on about his business as normal? How did he come to be 'nearly got into trouble with the law'?

Presumably the mugger reported him and the police usually tend to come down in support of the criminal rather than the (intended) victim. Not PC otherwise.
ossie

Post by ossie »

I could probably cause more carnage with a Brittany ferries steak knife from their restaurant than anything I could carry in the panniers.