Helmets

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
360fix

Post by 360fix »

2Tubs

Post by 2Tubs »

There was a post made on this (or the old forum, it was a while back now) with a link to a report from the NHS* which suggested that Helmets did protect the bonce very slightly, reducing serious head injuries by a whisker.

It also suggested that wearing a helmet increased serious neck injuries by a whisker.

My conclusion was that wearing a helmet was fine if you had the right kind of accident. Ditto for not wearing one.

In the end, I just stopped worrying. Or rather, never started worring.

Gazza

* Anybody remember this report? I've looked and can't find it anymore. Anyone who knows of it's whereabout wins my admiration. If that's not enough, I'll throw in a bit of envy too.
Why not Look at Sheila's Wheelers E2E Journal
Or My Personal Site
Or My Tweets
Whatever you do, buy fair trade.
And smile.
Beakyboy

Post by Beakyboy »

360fixation wrote:
meic wrote:Those early Bell motorcycle helmets did weigh something like a kilogram which could snap a neck in a high speed motorcycle crash. I think you will find that a cycle helmet is a bit too insubstantial to cause your death (or survival for that matter :lol: )

Max. speed for a motorbike = 200mph

Max. speed for a bicycle..... = 40mph

I get 45 on a good day ............ downhill ....with a following wind!

I like helmet threads.. now let me tell you about my Catlike Whisper...........
May the wind always be at your rear!
Lawrie9

Post by Lawrie9 »

I quite like the tin helmet worn by Hodges, the ARP warden in Dads Army.
Cunobelin

Re: Helmets

Post by Cunobelin »

reohn2 wrote:
garybaldy wrote:Does anyone know why I have changed my mind!!

After being so anti-helmet to the point of giving up cycling if it was made compulsory, I have now brought one!

Still think I will look a bit of a nerd in it, but I'll give it a go.

Also got some flash glasses as well.

I'll look soooo coool. Won't I???

With a name like Gary Baldy at least you won't get you're head sunburned whilst wearing it :wink: :)

NO - you get a wonderful pattern of sunburn!
ferrit worrier

Re: helmets

Post by ferrit worrier »

UrbanManc wrote:
360fixation wrote:I am new here but what the .... I may as well stick my neck out ...

The neck is my problem. My head is hard but my neck is soft and flexible. I don't wear a helmet because I don't want the unnatural shape of the helmet to wrench my neck into an unnatural and awkward position possibly with paralysis as a result.

I've read that three times ... and I still can't believe what I've read :?

I'm glad it's not just me, can't follow this either! I take it you have tried one :?:
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
matt_watson

Post by matt_watson »

i had a crash going round a bend and went head first into the tarmac road,
i stood up feeling fine, unclipped my helmet and it had broken so many times and was turning a bit crumbly,

i wud rather its the helmet that is broken and crumbly than my head!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Lawrie9 wrote:I quite like the tin helmet worn by Hodges, the ARP warden in Dads Army.

ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND!
Think of the weight on the neck (soft and squishy and bendy),then theres the rotational forces,not to mention being mistaken for a military soldier sort of person, OH my this is far far to risky,no, better not to cycle at all than wear one of those!

PS should you go against this sound advice please remember you will need a kahki haversack (containing a gasmask,which should frighten the odd motorist :? )
Si

Post by Si »

reohn2 wrote:
Lawrie9 wrote:I quite like the tin helmet worn by Hodges, the ARP warden in Dads Army.

ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND!
Think of the weight on the neck (soft and squishy and bendy),then theres the rotational forces,not to mention being mistaken for a military soldier sort of person, OH my this is far far to risky,no, better not to cycle at all than wear one of those!

PS should you go against this sound advice please remember you will need a kahki haversack (containing a gasmask,which should frighten the odd motorist :? )

Oi Napoleon, I've got the hall booked from 8 till 9 so sling yer hook.
freakhatz

Post by freakhatz »

During the Olympics I noticed that the sailors wore no helmets. As a keen yottie myself as well as cyclist, I'd say the chance of getting clobbered by the boom were a lot higher than getting a cycling head injury.
Beakyboy

Post by Beakyboy »

Si wrote:Oi Napoleon, I've got the hall booked from 8 till 9 so sling yer hook.

This made me laugh, out loud, so much so Mrs Beakyboy came over to investigate. Being from these here Emerald isles and being younger than me, she said "i don't get it".... I didn't even bother to explain.....! :roll:
May the wind always be at your rear!
bikely-challenged

Post by bikely-challenged »

I wish you hadn't mentioned that. I have a slight obsession with Pickelhaubes. I haven't thought about them for months, but now I want one again.

At least you'd get noticed by drivers.
-----------------------------------------------------------
DISCLAIMER: The above constitutes my personal opinion only on any given subject. Other opinions are available.
keepontriking

Post by keepontriking »

Cookster wrote:I still chuckle every time I see a roadie wearing a cycling cap. Is it meant to keep everything together after a crash? :roll:

I wore my cap and crashed.
I didn't die so it saved my life...
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

keepontriking wrote:
Cookster wrote:I still chuckle every time I see a roadie wearing a cycling cap. Is it meant to keep everything together after a crash? :roll:

I wore my cap and crashed.
I didn't die so it saved my life...

I know almost as pointless as those sunhats that babies wear!

As for CHAV hats - waste of time AND incorrrectly worn compoundingthe stupidity.
Wildduck

Post by Wildduck »

I wear a Buff. Its so effective that I never come off, let alone get a chance to hit my head!
Trice Q 2007 in inky blue (Quackers)
Bacchetta Corsa 26 ATT (The Mad Weeble)
Cube SL Team Cross (Rubberduckzilla)
Homebaked tourer (The Duck's Dream)
MTB mongrel (Harold the Flying Sheep)