OBREA GAIN D40 (e-bike)

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Kamlesht

OBREA GAIN D40 (e-bike)

Post by Kamlesht »

I want to buy this e-bike but its a lot of money. Therefore i am asking does anyone have one? Are they good? Are they worth the money? What are the charging times like? and anything else you think that will help me in my quest. thanks in advance!!!
LollyKat

Re: OBREA GAIN D40

Post by LollyKat »

You might get more response posting in the E-bike section
robgul

Re: OBREA GAIN D40

Post by robgul »

Yep - I have one. Purchased in March 2018 and so far covered only about 400 miles.

I had considered converting a Galaxy but decided that it would be an ugly compromise with battery, wires, "dashboard box" etc - and dubious reliability, lack of warranty.

The attraction of the Orbea was that it looks like a road-bike with the slightly fatter down-tube housing the battery and the motor sandwiched between a disc rotor and large sprocket on the cassette makes it less obtrusive. The single button on the top-tube to control the power levels etc is brilliant. I also looked at the Giant roadbike but that was ugly with a battery on the downtube ... and also a lot more expensive and weighs a lot more (the Orbea weighs almost the same as my 1975 Galaxy)

My plan was to have a bike that I could ride without the power ... and that works, albeit that you notice a slight pull from the motor - and when I get to a hill or am tiring I can flick the power on for some help, adjusting the level of assistance. I've just come back from a cycle tour in France and the bike was excellent - I used the power sparingly (ascend a hill and switch it off) and had no issues with battery life. I can't give precise figures but for a day of touring in undulating Normandy terrain and covering about 55 miles the battery was down less than 1/3.

So - a strong recommendation for the bike - downside which doesn't matter to me over-much is that the battery is charged in situ (not having a removable battery with a case etc saves both space and weight on the bike) The charging for 1/3 battery appears to be about an hour.

The other problem at the moment is that there aren't any available in the UK and delivery dates keep being pushed out from May to June to end of July .. possibly. Discounts? - forget it. At the price it's fantastic value for money when compared with other brands and the bike's appearance [I manage a bike shop but had to buy it at full retail price :-) ]

If you want any more info or are in range of Warwickshire and want a go just let me know

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
willcee

Re: OBREA GAIN D40 (e-bike)

Post by willcee »

Plus 1, my cycle bud has covered a similar distance on his, he has really caught the E Bug, he loves it however it has a soft cut at 15.0 mph[ ish] and this Orbea machine rides as well as many so called lightweights over that speed. my gripe would be the stance with very few spacers available under the stem and the market its catching doesn't want to ride chewing the bars like a pro..we changed the bars & stem to ITM , bar tape to Giant.. Orbea have some issues with getting stock into the UK it seems and as well don't hold out any time soon for the vaunted extra battery or indeed at this time any way of hoisting the speed cut off to a more useful 20ish mph, they don't even do this for the States whereas Giant have reset their usa Yamaha to max at 32..battery range seems very good and we have done over 40 mile rides coming in with 1/3 left if the colour level is accurate and a Orbea smart app is available, which should be very accurate..he also has taken Delivery of the new 2018 E plus 2 Giant , added a speed box and has seen 38.9 on the flat and with 2 power levels left and its still wanting to go.. IMV its fugly but rides well and has a more useful overall power level for decent ave speed long hauls.. will
robgul

Post by robgul »

Been out on mine today - to add to the speed limiter comment - it's 25km/h which equates to 15.625 mph and it's an EU ruling - over that speed and you require registration, approved motorcycle helmet, insurance etc.

... I have read hat Orbea has today introduced a carbon fibre Gain machine ....

They do seem to like rocking horse droppings to buy in the UK - my dealer pal has just had the date for his order pushed out again.

Rob
rjb

Post by rjb »

Spotted a new one in Ralph Coleman cycles in Taunton. £1700 notes. Nice looking machine.

Last edited by rjb on 8 Jul 2018, 11:41am, edited 1 time in total.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
robgul

Post by robgul »

rjb wrote:Spotted a new one in Ralph Coleman cycles in Taunton. £1700 notes. Nice looking machine.

"Nice looking machine." seems to be an understatement - mine has been parked in the shop for a few days and customers have gazed in awe and wonderment at it ... and then sent their friends in to look at it!

Unfortunately I don't sell them in the shop :( - and from what I hear delivery on any of the Gain e models is way off at the moment (and Orbea introduced a carbon frame model this week at about £6,000)

Rob
paul.lowe2

Post by paul.lowe2 »

hi, i own an ebike. Scott e aspect, bosch motor, 500 capacity battery. Cycled about 2k miles on it. I added mudguards and a rear rack. I get about 40 miles with panniers, rack pack and saddlebag on it when it is hilly. On the flat with one pannier i get about 70 miles. It depends on what level of assist you use. I've tried most of the different systems, bosch is the best imho. I have health problems so use the turbo mode, highest level of assist, more than the average rider. The only ones worth buying are those with bosch or shimano motors, however they are all expensive. Charge time is about 2 hours. I often charge up a bit at the lunch stop. I am considering buying a touring ebike, but am put off by the price! £3k plus.
using hovercraft full of eels.
willcee

Post by willcee »

My chum who actually luckily bought a grey stock one in April after chasing dealers all over the UK for a delivery date since last Nov, had the delivery date altered maybe 6 times, that new Carbon yoke is delivery supposedly for November and I wouldn't hold out hope of that.. He ordered and paid for an Orange upgraded model, 11 sp hyd brakes, as that was the colour he wanted originally it was supposed to be here for his birthday early June but never happened so he threw the head and bought the Giant from the same outfit..I asked a few senior trade guys ,reps etc what the hell was going on and didn't get a clear picture..Orbea certainly have a nice machine but getting them supplied when sold must be a difficult game.. IME customers today don't like being effed about and asking full retail when you are doing a dance with no certain supply chain is not helping any Orbea dealer.. will
robgul

Post by robgul »

willcee wrote:My chum who actually luckily bought a grey stock one in April after chasing dealers all over the UK for a delivery date since last Nov, had the delivery date altered maybe 6 times, that new Carbon yoke is delivery supposedly for November and I wouldn't hold out hope of that.. He ordered and paid for an Orange upgraded model, 11 sp hyd brakes, as that was the colour he wanted originally it was supposed to be here for his birthday early June but never happened so he threw the head and bought the Giant from the same outfit..I asked a few senior trade guys ,reps etc what the hell was going on and didn't get a clear picture..Orbea certainly have a nice machine but getting them supplied when sold must be a difficult game.. IME customers today don't like being effed about and asking full retail when you are doing a dance with no certain supply chain is not helping any Orbea dealer.. will

Despite the frustration of the wait I'm a bit surprised he considered the Giant - it has a MASSIVE weight penalty when compared with the Orbea Gain range. IIRC my Gain is about 13Kg, my pal's wife's Giant is about 23kg - for very similar spec machines.

Rob
willcee

Post by willcee »

I appreciate what you say, but ..weight doesn't really matter!! and i found it with my own coverted winter alloy Merckx with a Bafang kit and a good battery started at 25lbs with full winter guards and rack pack now its touching 39.5 which is lighter than the Giant, as an aside have you actually weighed your own Orbea?? Davy would say its maybe 4 lbs lighter than the Giant, and Orbea claim less than his weighs...on the Giant weight has proved not a huge issue, when you have good power and torque, and when you have a bike that rides well light or heavy as many have found on a proper tourer.. with the fact that Orbea haven't seen fit to provide access to upgrade to a more sensible cutoff despite what the law says those who dreamed it up imv and that of many others amongst law makers have no bloody experience of real world cycling..we're not Townies, no diss intended, we ride on country roads & byways where on any Sunday we may meet 3 or 4 cars every 5 miles, yes, we choose routes that are safe and as an experienced cyclist you will know that 16 is just about where you get going and 20 is a more useable cutoff..as he has found with his Giant suitably modded..that said he would say the Orbea rides well at any speed and will be winterising it come September.. WILL
robgul

Post by robgul »

willcee wrote:I appreciate what you say, but ..weight doesn't really matter!! and i found it with my own coverted winter alloy Merckx with a Bafang kit and a good battery started at 25lbs with full winter guards and rack pack now its touching 39.5 which is lighter than the Giant, as an aside have you actually weighed your own Orbea?? Davy would say its maybe 4 lbs lighter than the Giant, and Orbea claim less than his weighs...on the Giant weight has proved not a huge issue, when you have good power and torque, and when you have a bike that rides well light or heavy as many have found on a proper tourer.. with the fact that Orbea haven't seen fit to provide access to upgrade to a more sensible cutoff despite what the law says those who dreamed it up imv and that of many others amongst law makers have no bloody experience of real world cycling..we're not Townies, no diss intended, we ride on country roads & byways where on any Sunday we may meet 3 or 4 cars every 5 miles, yes, we choose routes that are safe and as an experienced cyclist you will know that 16 is just about where you get going and 20 is a more useable cutoff..as he has found with his Giant suitably modded..that said he would say the Orbea rides well at any speed and will be winterising it come September.. WILL

Yes I have weighed my Gain (straight out of the box before I fitted mudguards, better tyres, rack and a Brooks B17) - and it's the weight is as I stated. My use/desire is as a simple assist to make the touring/leisure riding I have been doing on either an ancient Dawes Galaxy or a Van Nicholas Ti Yukon at an average of about 14 mph a bit easier - so the obsession that ebike users seem to have with tweaking the speed is of no matter to me. I ride it in un-powered mode and simply flip the power on just for hills or if I run out of steam ... if I wanted a motorcycle I'd have bought one!

Rob
willcee

Post by willcee »

Motorcycle no...You seem to be picking on speed as our goal, you are so wrong...we need just an assisted pedal cycle helping my chum get over hip replacement surgery after a fall and myself who needs 2 hip replacements, an experienced cyclist would know i hope that to cycle at an average of approx 15 means a lot of the time is spent at 18/20, both of us have several good regular race type machines which neither of us wish to leave languishing in our sheds, hopefully by this time next year we will get an opportunity having kept up our fitness as best we can to mount and ride again unassisted.. finish..will
rjb

Post by rjb »

robgul wrote:
rjb wrote:Spotted a new one in Ralph Coleman cycles in Taunton. £1700 notes. Nice looking machine.

"Nice looking machine." seems to be an understatement - mine has been parked in the shop for a few days and customers have gazed in awe and wonderment at it ... and then sent their friends in to look at it!

Unfortunately I don't sell them in the shop :( - and from what I hear delivery on any of the Gain e models is way off at the moment (and Orbea introduced a carbon frame model this week at about £6,000)

Rob

The one i saw in Taunton appears to be for sale, its in the shop window with the price tag attached. BTW I like the orange colour it certainly makes it stand out. ps i added the pic upthread for you all to drool over. :mrgreen: All it will take is for one of the older club riders whos struggling to get one then they will all be queing up for one. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
robgul

Post by robgul »

rjb wrote:
robgul wrote:

Rob

The one i saw in Taunton appears to be for sale, its in the shop window with the price tag attached. BTW I like the orange colour it certainly makes it stand out. ps i added the pic upthread for you all to drool over. :mrgreen: All it will take is for one of the older club riders whos struggling to get one then they will all be queing up for one. :lol:

Given the choice I would have probably had the orange one - mine's a subtle matt gunmetal/gloss black colour which still looks pretty smart. Your comment about the older club riders (I'm one of those!) is absolutely right ... I have about 5 pals that are going to have a go on my machine with a view to going down the electric route.

Rob