** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by Mick F »

Mick F. Cornwall
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Mick F wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvYuoWyk8iU

oh so true.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I see the BBC has calculated the Brexit Dividend

Brexit Dividend
Brexit Dividend

I make it £49.25? hmm wont go very far :lol:
stu1102

Post by stu1102 »

Project reality not Project fear

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44570931

'Could this be the Conservative Mp that voted against the single market, customs union and a meaningful vote to prevent a no-deal. This is on him and all his other colleagues who put party before country.'

Don't worry. This was clearly stated on the Brexit ballot paper in 2016....
It's fine. It's what we voted for....

Here are the AIRBUS numbers for contributions to UK economy..........OMG

Last edited by stu1102 on 22 Jun 2018, 3:03pm, edited 1 time in total.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

I flew into Manchester in the week following the referendum.
I was disturbed by the result and I would engage perfect strangers in conversation about it, an attempt on my part to understand.
In the (long!) passport queue that day were 3 chaps who worked for Airbus in Flintshire.
They had all voted Leave!

I suggested that seemed rather strange as they worked for a successful European enterprise.
I was left with the impression that reasons other than that consideration was their reason, just "Take back control" sort of stuff.

It would be interesting to see how they felt now.
mr bajokoses

Post by mr bajokoses »

It's chilling to see how the blame for Brexit, ultimately, will be passed to the electorate, who, of course, knew exactly what they were voting for. May calls it delivering what the people voted for. Many Brexiters still refer to the Will Of The People.

Never mind that no-one can define Brexit, let alone agree on what it means. Never mind that there is no such thing as The Will Of The People.

Once we leave and the damage really begins, these politicians and 'leaders' will run away from the wreckage as fast as they can.
Debs

Post by Debs »

mr bajokoses wrote: Many Brexiters still refer to the Will Of The People.

It is the Will of the people in this Tory Government, and in the interest of very right wing Tory Party Policy, that much is true :twisted:
Debs

Post by Debs »

SIGN THE PETITION...

peoples-vote.uk

WE, THE PEOPLE
We, the undersigned,
demand a People’s Vote on the Brexit deal.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

The soi-disant "will of the people" as expressed by the Brex**iteer fraternity, clearly does not extend to the estimated 100,000 marching in London today. We would have loved to be there with them, were it not that we are in France at the moment. For one thing, I have an EU flag borrowed from a fellow-campaigner, which I haven't had a chance to return to her yet. Oh well - hopefully there'll be another chance. And even more hopefully - the powers-that-be will eventually come to notice the elephant....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

661-Pete wrote:The soi-disant "will of the people" as expressed by the Brex**iteer fraternity, clearly does not extend to the estimated 100,000 marching in London today. We would have loved to be there with them, were it not that we are in France at the moment. For one thing, I have an EU flag borrowed from a fellow-campaigner, which I haven't had a chance to return to her yet. Oh well - hopefully there'll be another chance. And even more hopefully - the powers-that-be will eventually come to notice the elephant....

Pulse of Europe is fighting for Europe
When I checked, Bath was the only UK town where PoE was active, guess the locals are used to Europe after the romans took over 2000 years ago :wink:

Maybe economic growth and increasing use of resources will stop, Plus One
That nice Mr Cameron wanted to grow happiness, not just wealth
Should he get a second chance as pm?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

Happy second anniversary everyone, glad to see a lot of you are still remoaning as usual and not rolling over to accept the increasing will of the public to just get on with it.

remember most of us voted for 30 million unemployed a 90% house price crash in the south east, total collapse of sterling, riots on the streets, death of first born male children (thats me done then but at least I miss the meteorite impact) oh and a plague of frogs. we knew EXACTLY what we were voting for - something better than the EU which we never voted to join in the first place.

I am somewhat annoyed that cameron and osborne were talking nonsense arguaments from 1974 and it is still going on.

just watching the BBC repeat and seeing a squirming Chukka the self loving media addict change his tone from accepting the will of the people - we lost and important lessons have to be learnt - to ignore my last we have to fight this all the way. well worth watching again to see the glum faces.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

crazydave789 wrote:.....we knew EXACTLY what we were voting for......

Yes, we voted not to pay the EU £350m a week ... except the Government Chief statistician then said
https://www.statisticsauthority.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Letter-from-Sir-David-Norgrove-to-Foreign-Secretary.pdf wrote:This confuses gross and net contributions.....
It is a clear misuse of official statistics.

Yet Boris and the Leave Campaigns just kept on using it.

Maybe we should have listened to Andrea Leadsom when in 2013 she said "I don’t think the UK should leave the EU. I think it would be a disaster for our economy and it would lead to a decade of economic and political uncertainty at a time when the tectonic plates of global success are moving." Or maybe Arron Banks when he said "Increasingly, the Norway option looks the best for the UK" or have listened to Nigel Farange when he said "Wouldn’t it be terrible if we were really like Norway and Switzerland? Really? They’re rich. They’re happy. They’re self-governing", etc., etc.

But you are right about knowing EXACTLY what we voted for, my ballot paper was explicit and only said about leaving the EU. No mention of leaving the EEA or leaving the Customs Union or leaving Euratom or ending Freedom of Movement or the ECJ, etc., etc. One question, one decision yet our more lunatic fringe politicians seem to be broadening the answer from the referendum to include all their personal ideology.

Ian
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

crazydave789 wrote:....glad to see a lot of you are still remoaning as usual and not rolling over to accept the increasing will of the public to just get on with it......
There's always one isn't there! :evil:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

crazydave789 wrote:something better than the EU which we never voted to join in the first place.

So perhaps, we should let the younger generations decide the matter. Those under 30? They're the ones who have to live with it.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Vorpal wrote:So perhaps, we should let the younger generations decide the matter. Those under 30? They're the ones who have to live with it.

Really? Looking at current longevity patterns, my fitness and my family l could have another 45 years and I'll probably be working for 20 of those. Long time not to have a say.