Carradice saddlebag, how old is it?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
tincaman

Carradice saddlebag, how old is it?

Post by tincaman »

Bought this from ebay, looked on good nick for less than £30, but I can't work out how old it is. Any ideas?

After searching through a lot of pictures, it looks like Carradice went from the plastic label to a cloth label sometime in the late 70’s, when they moved premises. This bag is possibly from the period when they started with the cloth label but before they also added the reflective strip or triangle as well. Most of the Carradice bags from the 80’s have an orange reflective added

Do you think this is correct?
colin54

Re: Carradice saddlebag, how old is it?

Post by colin54 »

Late '70's sounds about right ,I got a set of panniers then with that black on white label,it does have

orange reflectors on the pockets though .A friend gave me a Nelson longflap in the '80's with the silver on

black label and orange triangle reflector and a shorter address.

P1090958 (640x389).jpg

P1090960 (640x582).jpg

I assume you've seen this thread in 'Bike Forums' with links to a flikr page and a Classic Lightweights

article.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vint ... 985-a.html
Nu-Fogey
sharpedge

Post by sharpedge »

I have one exactly the same, think I bought mine new around 1975.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

I suspect younger than you think... my camper longflap was purchased in '79, and yes it is far more battered state than that, but it has metal ring loops not shiny white plastic ones.... with an orange cloth rectangular strip... can't answer for the carradice label, am guessing it was cloth as it died a death years ago and I glued on a strip of yellow reflective tape where it was. If it really is a 70's one it has been preserved in pristine condition, even taking up space in the garage mine looks to be well used / well loved.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Looking at the link, scrolling down there are a group of 4 bags dated as being from 1960's to 1980's mine is like the one on the bottom left of the group and as said purchased in 1979, with trapezium shaped metal rings.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
1942alexander

Post by 1942alexander »

The early ones (1950s/1960s) had two flaps inside that were closed by tying two attached webbing tapes in a knot and bow to keep stuff inside. Later ones had a plastic collar around which was pulled tight by a drawstring and toggle. I have no idea exactly when it changed.
... Alex
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

1942alexander wrote:The early ones (1950s/1960s) had two flaps inside that were closed by tying two attached webbing tapes in a knot and bow to keep stuff inside. Later ones had a plastic collar around which was pulled tight by a drawstring and toggle. I have no idea exactly when it changed.
... Alex

Mine has the flaps tied with webbing.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

I also have a bag with flaps tied with webbing, bought in the late 1970s.